JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Apr 3, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #3,106 of 3,417
Can the Cayin drive a Beyer 600ohms with ease? I believe the C5D has the appropriate ratings for 600ohms

I talked to John at JDS and he said that theoretically the C5D COULD drive the 600ohm Beyers, however it would only drive it up to something like 120db or around that if you do the math, which is a decent listening volume. The problem is that the C5D would be struggling to drive it. I wanted to try it but decided to go with the 250s

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #3,107 of 3,417
  I talked to John at JDS and he said that theoretically the C5D COULD drive the 600ohm Beyers, however it would only drive it up to something like 120db or around that if you do the math, which is a decent listening volume. The problem is that the C5D would be struggling to drive it. I wanted to try it but decided to go with the 250s

for what its worth, i get a decent experience driving my HD 650 (300ohm)

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #3,108 of 3,417
Received my C5 - 

Never thought I could like an amp so much! The build quality and SQ are great, and I'm happy with the amount of volume steps there are.

Haven't tried it with super sensitive IEM's just yet. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #3,109 of 3,417
Received my C5 - 

Never thought I could like an amp so much! The build quality and SQ are great, and I'm happy with the amount of volume steps there are.

Haven't tried it with super sensitive IEM's just yet. 

It's a great amp, just like C421 is. I'll pick up C5 one day, just waiting for that special price to pop up.

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #3,110 of 3,417
Hey all, just want to report back. A week ago, I had asked John to change my OPAMP to AD8620, I was kind of hesitant at first but it turn out very well. I dint like the presentation of the OP2227, it was too up front for my taste, it get kind of tiresome after a while.

I went ahead with the procedure, and I am very happy to report back that my C5D now have a much better soundstage and imaging. the midrange forwardness is kind of still there but everything seems to "have room to breath" if that make any sense. The amp can still power my Alpha Dog to a certain degree without clipping but the biggest change was from my Westone W60, my goodness how the sound change! soundstage is good, the separation is awesome! the bass isnt as impactful but its not all over the place (not saying the OP2227 was) I am not a bass head so I don't really care.

Long story short, if you are an IEM user and/or desire a larger soundstage/imaging and separation, ask john for the transformation.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #3,111 of 3,417
Hey all, just want to report back. A week ago, I had asked John to change my OPAMP to AD8620, I was kind of hesitant at first but it turn out very well. I dint like the presentation of the OP2227, it was too up front for my taste, it get kind of tiresome after a while.

I went ahead with the procedure, and I am very happy to report back that my C5D now have a much better soundstage and imaging. the midrange forwardness is kind of still there but everything seems to "have room to breath" if that make any sense. The amp can still power my Alpha Dog to a certain degree without clipping but the biggest change was from my Westone W60, my goodness how the sound change! soundstage is good, the separation is awesome! the bass isnt as impactful but its not all over the place (not saying the OP2227 was) I am not a bass head so I don't really care.

Long story short, if you are an IEM user and/or desire a larger soundstage/imaging and separation, ask john for the transformation.

Who is John and can he do this for the regular C5 amp?

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #3,115 of 3,417

phew. it went well.

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #3,116 of 3,417
Yes john D seaber not sure what D stand for.

It might be John Dude Seaber? 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back