JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 16, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #3,017 of 3,417
  Does jds lab offer life time warranty for the c5/c5d? 

From JDS Labs' website:

1. Headphone Amplifiers and DACs are fully guaranteed against parts and manufacturing defects for 2 years from purchase. Accidental damages and out-of-warranty amplifiers may be repaired at the discretion of a JDS Labs engineer. Buyer is responsible for shipping expenses to JDS Labs.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #3,023 of 3,417
  I wonder if my c5 will drive my soon to arrive t1's adequately. I'm only been using iems with my c5 so far.  

It certainly will, BUT ONLY if you switch it to 'high-gain' mode. I get the impression that nearly any overhead headphone needs high-gain to drive it properly, because the C5 on standard-gain although enough to drive the headphone, is not enough to really drive the headphone if you know what i mean, and i'm not talking about volume.

My lowly Shure sounds like it's struggling in some way, languishing in the sonics when my C5 is on standard-gain, but as soon as i switch to high-gain... BANG! Poise, dynamics, weight, speed, articulation, drive, everything.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #3,024 of 3,417

It certainly will, BUT ONLY if you switch it to 'high-gain' mode. I get the impression that nearly any overhead headphone needs high-gain to drive it properly, because the C5 on standard-gain although enough to drive the headphone, is not enough to really drive the headphone if you know what i mean, and i'm not talking about volume.

My lowly Shure sounds like it's struggling in some way, languishing in the sonics when my C5 is on standard-gain, but as soon as i switch to high-gain... BANG! Poise, dynamics, weight, speed, articulation, drive, everything.

Fingers crossed. I know for sure when I listened to it with my hd25-13 with the bass boost on and set to max volume on high gain, there was noticeable bass distortion. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #3,025 of 3,417
Fingers crossed. I know for sure when I listened to it with my hd25-13 with the bass boost on and set to max volume on high gain, there was noticeable bass distortion. 

If i was you i would switch-off bass-gain from the C5. Any bass-gain from any Amp/DAC is just artificial and kind of ugly, never ideal.

If you want heavy-bass then it is preferable to get a headphone which already has heavy-bass. The Yamaha Pro 500 is a near perfect performing headphone from lower-mids all the way up to treble-range, the pro 500 gives true audiophile performance and detail and balance, but it has a bit of bass beefiness beyond neutral, which would suit you perfectly, and the cheaper Yamaha Pro 400 has the same sonic-signature as the Pro 500 but with even more bass beefiness, that way you wouldn't need to resort to artificial Amp/DAC bass-boost.

The neutral bass setting on the C5 gives exactly what is in the original song. At maximum volume with full-gain it would be your headphone distorting.

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #3,026 of 3,417

If i was you i would switch-off bass-gain from the C5. Any bass-gain from any Amp/DAC is just artificial and kind of ugly, never ideal.

If you want heavy-bass then it is preferable to get a headphone which already has heavy-bass. The Yamaha Pro 500 is a near perfect performing headphone from lower-mids all the way up to treble-range, the pro 500 gives true audiophile performance and detail and balance, but it has a bit of bass beefiness beyond neutral, which would suit you perfectly, and the cheaper Yamaha Pro 400 has the same sonic-signature as the Pro 500 but with even more bass beefiness, that way you wouldn't need to resort to artificial Amp/DAC bass-boost.

The neutral bass setting on the C5 gives exactly what is in the original song. At maximum volume with full-gain it would be your headphone distorting.

I don't use the bass boost function but bass distortion was clearly present at max volume.    

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #3,028 of 3,417
  I don't use the bass boost function but bass distortion was clearly present at max volume.    

What cans would require the C5D at max volume? I suppose you're refering to those $1000-and-more flagship?

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #3,030 of 3,417
  My hd25-13's 

Don't want to derail the thread but what is your experience with these, I mean HD25 but with 600 friggin Ohm - whoooohooo. How do they compare to the standard HD25-1 that I own with 70 Ohms?

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back