JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 2, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #2,297 of 3,417
Thank you for the battery usage figures!

This is an interesting result. I think for extended use I am going to get an audio cable and use the C5D in amp only mode. The DAC in the Apple products are reasonably good given the type of product. But if I want very good quality out of my DT880s, I will use the DAC part. I am also going to be getting a 15000 mAH USB battery to further extend its usage when used as an amp only. Life will be good for my mother who will be using this setup.

Bob Graham

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #2,298 of 3,417
I like what I'm reading about this device, but have a few questions.... Anyone tried these with the er4s? Also is the battery replaceable? This is the type of product that should last 10+ years if treated well.... I hate to see good electronics wasted by non-replaceable batteries.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #2,299 of 3,417
You can replace the battery, it uses an iPod touch battery.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #2,301 of 3,417
Got new one from local store, Headfonia store. Whatever headphone I paired going into slight dark zone, quiet and give rubble bass on 2nd step bass boost, even my HD555 (soundstage mod).
Need more airy vocal and soundstage.  

Palermo

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,302 of 3,417
I now have my mother hooked up to the C5D, iPod Touch, and a large USB battery. The 12000 mAh battery should see her all night and through the morning. Then I will charge it back up while she continues to use the C5D without the USB battery. During the charging of the USB battery, she can use the DAC part of the C5D.

I think I notice a difference between using it as a DAC/amp combo and just the amp part. The DAC seems more detailed, for lack of a better word. I find this difficult  to believe, So I will look at the difference in settings with this and the iPod Touch, And there is more gain with it plugged into the computer. I will check this out and verify my impressions.

Bob Graham

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #2,304 of 3,417
C5D paired with ipod touch 5 via CCK, I found stuttering sound, occasionally. It's my friend ipod. He bought lightning to USB cable from ebay, not Apple certified. Anyone have experienced yet? 

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #2,305 of 3,417
Got the C5D today. It's working great out of the box with the Note 2 and Neutron player. It's a notable improvement from the Note 2's already decent built-ins, esp. in terms of background noise (which the CK100Pro picks up easily). It's very clean-sounding, for lack of better words.

I need to get a replacement micro-to-mini OTG cable though. I accidentally bent the pin on one end when I put it all into my pocket. Anyone knows of a good place to buy short OTG cable (that also ships to Australia and for reasonably low cost)?

Thanks.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #2,306 of 3,417
Got the C5D today. It's working great out of the box with the Note 2 and Neutron player. It's a notable improvement from the Note 2's already decent built-ins, esp. in terms of background noise (which the CK100Pro picks up easily). It's very clean-sounding, for lack of better words.

I need to get a replacement micro-to-mini OTG cable though. I accidentally bent the pin on one end when I put it all into my pocket. Anyone knows of a good place to buy short OTG cable (that also ships to Australia and for reasonably low cost)?

Thanks.

We've got some available and we're based in Melbourne.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,307 of 3,417
The only thing that I do not like is the volume control. It appears like it might be proven to be fragile with long term use. But I can see how this allows the unit to be more portable. And the unit does remember the last volume setting.

BG

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #2,309 of 3,417
That and it allows for finer volume adjustment. I like a knob better too but I see the advantage as well.

My experience in carrying the O2 around is that when i reach for something else in the bag, i tend to accidentally adjust the volume knob (with little resistance), and it does tend to annoy me at times.
The C5D's volume adjustment makes it nearly impossible to do that. You need a degree of force to move the volume control, and the very low profile switch hinders accidental taps.
I'm also happy that i don't need to keep pushing the switch a million times (sorry for the exaggeration) to adjust for more power-hungry cans. Just push and hold.

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #2,310 of 3,417
Does anyone find the fidelity of the O2 to be better than the C5D? I have not had a chance to verify this since the unit has been in use 24/7 by my family. But this is something that I suspect.

Bob Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back