JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Dec 12, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #1,681 of 3,417
So just a question, what do you do when a call comes in?

This could be a bit convienent for me and encourage me to leave my phone on silent more often, because I hate being interrupted by a CALL on my PHONE when watching or listening to something, as arrogant as that sounds. In terms of problems, it really is a first world problem anyway.

You still hear the phone's ringtone play when you receive a call. In that case, since the C5[D] doesn't support a voice channel via TRRS cables, you have to either:
  1. Unplug the amp from your phone and use the phone like normal
  2. Leave the amp plugged into your phone so you can use your headphones as the speaker, and put the phone's microphone to your mouth to talk and look like you're going to eat your phone

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #1,682 of 3,417
Originally Posted by miceblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You still hear the phone's ringtone play when you receive a call. In that case, since the C5[D] doesn't support a voice channel via TRRS cables, you have to either:
  • Unplug the amp from your phone and use the phone like normal
  • Leave the amp plugged into your phone so you can use your headphones as the speaker, and put the phone's microphone to your mouth to talk and look like you're going to eat your phone

I'm not sure if the ringtone plays, when I received a call on the bus this morning my phone was on silent.

1. is not necessary because;
2. is what i would normally do if the headphones were connected direct to my phone but this doesn't happen. You are misunderstanding me.

A call comes in, and if I answer it, i hear nothing through the headphones. I have to take the headphones off and pick up my phone & hold it to my ear to be able to hear the caller. If i put the phone on speakerphone, the call comes out through the HTC One's "boomsound" speakers.

So far that's the only viable solution. Hurriedly remove my headphones, and hold the phone (and also my amp because it's still connected to the phone) to my ear.

Disconnecting the headphones from my amp and plugging them direct into the phone is much more fiddly, considering the amps small size.

Fortunately calls are rare for me. That's why I have the smallest possible voice plan with my carrier and then bolt on unlimited MOG streaming plus a big 3Gb data pack.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #1,683 of 3,417
Why is that arrogant? Arrogant is the fact that people use their phones so much that they think they can't miss a call or it's rude. It's not. I feel sorry for people tied to their phones too much. It does more harm than good. Use your phone here and there if you want. Return calls when appropriate, etc. But you should NEVER let a phone come between you and your music. :p. Hehe.

Completely agree. People nowadays are not aware of phone etiquette. Call me old school but phones calls can be returned no one is obliged to take a call all the time. I hate taking calls in public because I believe a phone call should always be private.

It annoys me if I'm sitting beside anyone on a train talking so loud on their phone.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #1,684 of 3,417
Completely agree. People nowadays are not aware of phone etiquette. Call me old school but phones calls can be returned no one is obliged to take a call all the time. I hate taking calls in public because I believe a phone call should always be private.

It annoys me if I'm sitting beside anyone on a train talking so loud on their phone.

Guess we know where you stand on cell calls allowed on airplanes 
wink.gif
  I wink, but I stand with you.  I guess the only escape would be a parachute.

Unrelated, but on topic:
I continue to be amazed at how well the C5 drives the HE-500s.  It's been over a week since I heard them on the Lyr, but I have a few tracks I like to use to test dynamics and bass.  "Alien Shore" from Rush's Counterparts is one.  Geddy's bass work is great.  On the C5 it's clean and tight, but lacks some weight.  On the Lyr (tube dependent, of course), it's got the weight, but is not as clean and tight.  Same goes for the upper mids, IIRC.  All that to say, it's nice to have a SS alternative to the hybrid Lyr.

I also listened to Pink Floyd's Animals tonight, and the C5 did it justice on the HE-500s.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,685 of 3,417
I'm not sure if the ringtone plays, when I received a call on the bus this morning my phone was on silent.

1. is not necessary because;
2. is what i would normally do if the headphones were connected direct to my phone but this doesn't happen. You are misunderstanding me.

As far as I'm aware it's because your call app is programmed to either run the sound through your phone's loudspeaker or through whatever is connected to the mini-jack port. I doubt many or any devs have taken USB audio into account. I may be wrong, but this seems like it would be the reason.

If you have headphones with an input on each cup you could connect one side to the C5D and one to your phone's headphone port, though that's not very practical obviously. You could also try asking a dev of a call app about it and see if they could implement it. Or, what I'd do, is just put my phone on vibrate (actually I don't think my phone is ever not on vibrate). I mean you have to grab your phone+C5D to talk into anyway, right? So you may as well just put your headphones 'round your neck and hold the phone+C5D to your ear.

ThurstonX: By the way, thank you for commenting before on how well the C5 drives your HE-500s (I believe you mentioned it earlier in this thread as well as just now). It helped me decide on the C5D over some other amps, as I was looking for one that could, in the future, decently drive the T50RPs.

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #1,686 of 3,417
I'm blown away by the improvement the C5D gives to the SoundMAGIC HP100 headphones.

The bass is so clean and tight and on the highest bass boost setting, the C5D gives me fantastic sub-bass lows without bleeding it anywhere else across the spectrum. My headphones only cost $250, but the C5D still gave them a terrific improvement in performance.

I'm never using an "equalizer" app again. This is great!

It's like i'm discovering completely new sounds in the music. :)

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,687 of 3,417
Thank you for your HP100+C5D impressions. I owned the HP100s but ended up sending them back as I didn't entirely love their sound. I felt they were a little hollow sounding, but I thought it was probably down to lack of proper amping. Do the HP100s sound a little fuller/warmer to you with the C5D? Or did you feel they were full enough before anyway?

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #1,689 of 3,417
Hey all i have a question. When using the c5 amp connected to the line out of a DAP ? are you able to adjust the equilizer settings on the DAP ? If im not mistaken, you cannot adjust the volume settings or am i wrong? on the DAP but i would like to know if i can change the bass or treble settings ?

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,691 of 3,417
  Hey all i have a question. When using the c5 amp connected to the line out of a DAP ? are you able to adjust the equilizer settings on the DAP ? If im not mistaken, you cannot adjust the volume settings or am i wrong? on the DAP but i would like to know if i can change the bass or treble settings ?

Hi,

Yes, when planning to amp your source, you'll either have the C5 connected via Line-Out (if your source has a Line-Out 3.5mm port), OR you can have the C5 connected via your headphone output on your source/DAP. 

Yes, equilizer settings (Including your bass/treble settings) are still adjustable from your DAP. Although, with volume, it is rather dependent on your source. Something with a true Line-Out will not allow you to use the volume controls of your DAP if an amp is connected. Something like an iPod Nano, when Line-Outted to the C5, the volume of the iPod is rendered useless, and all volume controls will be done on the C5. And then you have other DAPs, such as the iBasso DX50, where it does have a Line-Out function, but you can still operate the DAP's volume controls even when an amp (such as a C5) is connected.

Hope I made sense and didn't make it too confusing for you:)

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #1,692 of 3,417
  Hi,

Yes, when planning to amp your source, you'll either have the C5 connected via Line-Out (if your source has a Line-Out 3.5mm port), OR you can have the C5 connected via your headphone output on your source/DAP. 

Yes, equilizer settings (Including your bass/treble settings) are still adjustable from your DAP. Although, with volume, it is rather dependent on your source. Something with a true Line-Out will not allow you to use the volume controls of your DAP if an amp is connected. Something like an iPod Nano, when Line-Outted to the C5, the volume of the iPod is rendered useless, and all volume controls will be done on the C5. And then you have other DAPs, such as the iBasso DX50, where it does have a Line-Out function, but you can still operate the DAP's volume controls even when an amp (such as a C5) is connected.

Hope I made sense and didn't make it too confusing for you:)

yes it does so it basically depends on the DAP but regardless the equilizer settings would work throughout regardless of the DAP !!! Great n thanks !

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #1,693 of 3,417
yes it does so it basically depends on the DAP but regardless the equilizer settings would work throughout regardless of the DAP !!! Great n thanks !

Correct:)
The bass boost switch on the C5 is amazingly monstrous, so you won't need that digital EQ bass setting on your DAP. :wink:

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #1,695 of 3,417
thats good to know as i do like a good rumbling bass :).. was thinkin abt the dx50 or the new x5 that just got announced today as the potential  DAP :)

I currently run the DX50 with the C5, and you can find out what I think of the pairing in my C5 review, which is located in my signature below. :)

As of the X5, we're not tooaurehow that'll turn out, seeing that it has yet to be officially released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back