JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Dec 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #1,667 of 3,417
My JDS Labs C5D+DAC will arrive tomorrow.

Thumbs up for jseaber he was helpful on customizing my unit to my liking 

Thanks

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #1,668 of 3,417
- Where do you get the 1.2cm difference? C5D has the exact same dimension as C5.

Just an update to this, after having a chat with my headphone supplier of choice, they will correct the incorrect dimensions of the C5 on their website.

After further chatting, I am definitely sold on the C5D and happily paid extra to upgrade to the new model. Plus by using the DAC with an OTG cable, I will actually have less cable clutter in my pocket as at the moment I use a cable way longer than what i would ever need with my E12 so I can put the E12 in a different pocket (to eliminate the noise from my handset).

I'm also working on the assumption that as good as the DAC/amp in the HTC One is (its light years ahead of Samsung), an outboard amp/DAC will still have significantly better performance :)

Thanks for your help - you helped convince me to go for the beefier C5D - if battery life becomes an issue I guess i can always carry around a 12,000mah external battery pack as well lol

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #1,669 of 3,417
Just an update to this, after having a chat with my headphone supplier of choice, they will correct the incorrect dimensions of the C5 on their website.

After further chatting, I am definitely sold on the C5D and happily paid extra to upgrade to the new model. Plus by using the DAC with an OTG cable, I will actually have less cable clutter in my pocket as at the moment I use a cable way longer than what i would ever need with my E12 so I can put the E12 in a different pocket (to eliminate the noise from my handset).

I'm also working on the assumption that as good as the DAC/amp in the HTC One is (its light years ahead of Samsung), an outboard amp/DAC will still have significantly better performance :)

Thanks for your help - you helped convince me to go for the beefier C5D - if battery life becomes an issue I guess i can always carry around a 12,000mah external battery pack as well lol

As good as the DAC in C5D is, I wish C5 has the low output impedance of C5D. I only need an clean. neutral and low noise, low distortion amp that matches physically with my DX50 using low impedance CIEMS because I already have a few DACs.

The 2.2 ohm output impedance of C5 may not have enough headroom for <16 Ohm multi -BA iems.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #1,670 of 3,417

The DAC is the exact same in both the HTC One and the Snapdragon model of Galaxy S4, which I guess goes to show what a difference a headphone amp alone can make (though I don't know the difference well as I haven't tried the HTC One extensively, and I have no idea what the specs are on the built-in amp).

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,671 of 3,417
The DAC is the exact same in both the HTC One and the Snapdragon model of Galaxy S4, which I guess goes to show what a difference a headphone amp alone can make (though I don't know the difference well as I haven't tried the HTC One extensively, and I have no idea what the specs are on the built-in amp).

They may have the same DAC but the implementation could be different and can have huge difference in SQ. I don't have an HTC One nor have listened to it and I know they are endorsing it for it's sound quality but relying on the built-in DAC of a smartphone most of the time have unavoidable compromise that may degrade SQ compared to a well implemented external DAC.

Also I'm not sure HTC one has a lineout function. I suppose you don't want to double amp and make sense to entirely bypass the DAC/amp of HTC One.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,672 of 3,417

Thanks - I wasn't aware of that. That's good to know as the Note 3 is supposed to work fine with the C5D so the HTC One should too. I'll find out tomorrow or Friday when my unit arrives :)

I'm not sure what the amp specs are either, but it makes a massive difference. Using stock, non-rooted ROMs as 90% of smartphone owners use, the Galaxy S and Note series cannot possibly drive my Shure SRH 940, let alone an 80 ohm DT770 Pro, unless you like your music barely audible at just a whisper.

Plus when you do reach the last 2 steps of android volume control, all the bass goes and the treble/midrange are heavily affected.

The HTC One can easily pump the SRH 940 to volume levels nobody should be listening at, which is great if you like to add some extra bass with an equalizer (which reduces volume) and the HTC One alone without extra apps can drive the DT770 to a moderate volume before distorting.

My Note 3 is in for repair at the moment, but when I get it back i'm looking forward to using the C5D with it. (not rooting it as I need the warranty intact - it's already failed for me once and I still have 22 months of my contract left)

*edit* Headwhacker: my understanding is that all Android 4.3+ handsets should be good to go for USB Audio, save for some models you might need to install USB Audio Recorder Pro, but this app doesn't require root to run.
C5D Blog: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=722
USB Audio Recorder Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro&hl=en

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #1,673 of 3,417
They may have the same DAC but the implementation could be different and can have huge difference in SQ. I don't have an HTC One nor have listened to it and I know they are endorsing it for it's sound quality but relying on the built-in DAC of a smartphone most of the time have unavoidable compromise that may degrade SQ compared to a well implemented external DAC.

Also I'm not sure HTC one has a lineout function. I suppose you don't want to double amp and make sense to entirely bypass the DAC/amp of HTC One.

I meant that the HTC One and GS4 both have the same built-in DAC. As the DAC is part of the Snapdragon chip set I imagine they're both implemented the same way. However, the HTC One has its Beats EQ and a headphone amp that HTC built into the phone, and Samsung has Adapt Sound to adjust the EQ of the default music player after a hearing test, so each phone will sound different. I was just commenting on jjcoolaus' comment that the HTC One was light years ahead of Samsung in terms of SQ, trying to show that there wasn't actually that much in it.

And the HTC One doesn't have a line-out for using an external amp only, but you would be able to use the micro USB to bypass the internal DAC and amp for the C5D (I don't know for certain that combo works, but others definitely do according to others, so I can't see why it wouldn't).

jjcoolaus: Thanks for the clarification on sound improvements. I believe the built-in amp improves the bass presence as well (something the Snapdragon DAC lacks by itself), though that may have more to do with the Beats EQ. Yeah the digital volume controlling different frequency ranges individually is something I'm hoping the C5D will fix (and I know it will).

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,676 of 3,417
it work perfectly with my HTC One also with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

This is a very powerful little amp.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,677 of 3,417
Considering ostewart's thoughts of the C5 vs E17, my comparisons between the C5 and E12, and Headfonia's general disappointment in the E18, I think the C5 is a good investment in that regard.
The volume adjustor also acts as a switch. You just push it into the C5 to toggle the gain.

On a note about Headfonia:

Hey miceblue, i would like your advise since you have rather similar equipment :) .. I'm currently waiting for my C5 and would like to know how it would sound paired up with a rockboxed clip+ and the m100s/amperiors. I´m coming from the Fiio e11 and wasn´t really impressed so im hoping it would be better now.

Also im keeping an eye on the Fiio x5 (as well as the ibasso dx50 when the software and hardware stabilises) . With that in mind do you think the sound quality of the rockboxed clip+ with c5 would be enough for me to save my money in not getting the x5 or dx50 ? Would there be such a big difference you think ??? I know its all a matter of taste but your input would be great !!! I just love the versatility of that tiny clip+ though :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,678 of 3,417

Sorry about the low quality picture, taken by my HTC One.

This little devil can power my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 to crazy volumes in low gain :) 
Also, it drive my AKG K712 to a nice volumes but it cant drive it hard even in high gain but i am happy with it. 

This amplifier make my smile while listening to music 

It is just evil, i am calling it the Red Devil :)

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,679 of 3,417
Just got mine today, i'm pretty happy with it.

It made me do two things immediately. Uninstall the equalizer app, and turn off beats audio in the phone settings. What I found is that whilst your equalizer app may work at first, the second or third time you plugin the amp, it will completely bypass the equalizer app and it has no effect - i think that's a little mis step in the android or HTC audio system, but it's a good thing anyway because the amp sounds so much better without it.

In terms of headphones it did ok with the Shure SRH-940 but I went back and plugged the SoundMAGIC HP 100 into it and i'll have to do more listening but at this stage I reckon that is a better pairing.

On the way to work this morning I heard the track "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People come up in a MOG playlist (search Triple J Hottest 100 of the past 20yrs) and I thought - that would be a great track to test out this amp with and wow there is a massive difference in the sound stage with the amp versus without. The HP100's certainly do benefit from an amp! (Yes I do use a bit of streaming media - for MOG my mobile carrier here in Australia gives me the full 320kbps quality completely unmetered - as in the data it uses is free so why not have millions of tracks for $13 a month). Any other suggestions of tracks to try with it?

With the HTC One plugged in DAC mode, if you receive a call (or make one, like i did) the phone call does NOT come in via your headphones. Instead it comes through the phone speaker. I installed USB Audio Recorder Pro (just the trial version to see if it worked) and it did nothing but complain I have no input. So obviously that app isn't compatible with my phone. All other phone audio works fine though.

So just a question, what do you do when a call comes in?

This could be a bit convienent for me and encourage me to leave my phone on silent more often, because I hate being interrupted by a CALL on my PHONE when watching or listening to something, as arrogant as that sounds. In terms of problems, it really is a first world problem anyway.

Also, what do you reckon is better in terms of battery life - turn up the volume a bit and leave the amp on low gain, or keep the volume lower but the amp in high gain?

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #1,680 of 3,417
I hate being interrupted by a CALL on my PHONE when watching or listening to something, as arrogant as that sounds.

Why is that arrogant? Arrogant is the fact that people use their phones so much that they think they can't miss a call or it's rude. It's not. I feel sorry for people tied to their phones too much. It does more harm than good. Use your phone here and there if you want. Return calls when appropriate, etc. But you should NEVER let a phone come between you and your music. :p. Hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back