JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 15, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #2,191 of 3,417
I got this pic from my itouch 5g wallpaper (which is almost same size to the amp) photo galary, and then I converted the colored picture to black and white. You can always send your engrave picture to JDS lab to ask them if its ok.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,192 of 3,417
was the C5 revised by any chance? The specs on the site say .62 ohm output impedance, I thought it was 2 ohms as my local distributor has it in their spec description.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #2,193 of 3,417
Yep, it also now comes with the 2 way bass boost like the C5D

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2,194 of 3,417
  Yep, it also now comes with the 2 way bass boost like the C5D

do you know when (like when the revised versions started shipping) this occurred by any chance? I have to ask my local distributor about this since they haven't updated their description for the C5.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #2,197 of 3,417
Probably when the C5D came out.

I believe it was in December 2013.

Edit:

Yup...That's what I thought:

C5 and C5D each have Off / Medium / High bass boost. 

C5 has the exact same bass boost toggle as C5D, effective December 17, 2013. Please see the C5 product page for more information.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #2,198 of 3,417
I ordered a UHA-6S MKII and finally received it the other day.  After extensively listening to both, I'm convinced the C5D is a better all around amp.  The one concern I have is the hoops I have to jump through to get the iPod Touch to recognize the device via the CCK.

I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my C5D.  Here's what I have to do.

C5D starts OFF
Plug in CCK via USB to C5D
Turn on C5D
Plug into iPod Touch

If I do it that way, it works.  When I plug in the Leckerton, at ANY TIME, on or off, whatever, it always works.  Is this normal for the C5D?  I mean it doesn't matter that much, but if it's not supposed to work like that, I probably need a replacement or something.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2,199 of 3,417
I usually have:
  1. iDevice turned on (say in the Music app for example)
  2. Plug in CCK into iDevice
  3. Plug in C5D via USB (in battery mode)
  4. Turn on C5D (Music app's digital volume automatically goes to maximum since it remembers the setting from the last listening session)
  5. Plug in headphones
  6. Listen to audio

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #2,200 of 3,417
  I ordered a UHA-6S MKII and finally received it the other day.  After extensively listening to both, I'm convinced the C5D is a better all around amp.  The one concern I have is the hoops I have to jump through to get the iPod Touch to recognize the device via the CCK.

I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my C5D.  Here's what I have to do.

C5D starts OFF
Plug in CCK via USB to C5D
Turn on C5D
Plug into iPod Touch

If I do it that way, it works.  When I plug in the Leckerton, at ANY TIME, on or off, whatever, it always works.  Is this normal for the C5D?  I mean it doesn't matter that much, but if it's not supposed to work like that, I probably need a replacement or something.

Ugh, that looks like the original firmware behavior. We've had to manually load final code onto the current production batch. Four production staffers handle this. The next batch of chips was machine programmed last week. We requested version stickers on each chip, so there will be no uncertainty moving forward.

Please PM or email your order number and we can swap it for you.

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #2,201 of 3,417
Today I just bought CCK for my itouch 5g. I have to switch to CHG mode to turn on C5D to use the dac (after I have to manually switch back to bat mode). When I turn on in BAT mode, the music will play out of my itouch speaker. Its the same story when I plug it on my Macbook. But you said you are in BAT mode. Its there something wrong my C5D, I just received this friday?

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #2,202 of 3,417
  Today I just bought CCK for my itouch 5g. I have to switch to CHG mode to turn on C5D to use the dac (after I have to manually switch back to bat mode). When I turn on in BAT mode, the music will play out of my itouch speaker. Its the same story when I plug it on my Macbook. But you said you are in BAT mode. Its there something wrong my C5D, I just received this friday?

Not a hardware defect, just different firmware. Please see my previous post #2201.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #2,203 of 3,417
So in general, if you want to use the dac, you have to switch to CHG mode first, then turn On your C5D. After you can switch back to BAT mode if you use it with any portable devices. Am I correct? 
One more question for the bass boost switch which is off med and high? For example, if I place the amp with the JDS Label up, the level up is off, mid level is high, and low level is mid?

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #2,204 of 3,417
  So in general, if you want to use the dac, you have to switch to CHG mode first, then turn On your C5D. After you can switch back to BAT mode if you use it with any portable devices. Am I correct? 
One more question for the bass boost switch which is off med and high? For example, if I place the amp with the JDS Label up, the level up is off, mid level is high, and low level is mid?

All correct!

That firmware should not have shipped, by the way. I'll inform our production staff to ensure it doesn't happen again with the remaining C5Ds in this batch. It's a minor inconvenience, so let me know if you'd like to exchange it.

Edit: For those interested, the behavior Vemon and dbdynsty25 have described is firmware dated December 13th, v1.1.0. The final C5D code was published on December 14th, v1.2.0. The current shipping batch of C5D is machine assembled with v1.1.0 code, and we're manually loading code v1.2.0 at JDS Labs. It seems that someone in production had a mixup while loading code. Fortunately, this is a minor usage tweak. We'll double check inventory on Monday. [Monday update -- All inventory in our facility has the latest firmware. We'll get corrections to Vemon and dbdynsty25 quickly.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back