JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Jan 17, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #92 of 641
I have the Massdrop Grace SDAC and I'm looking for an amp to pair with it.

Anyone using the SDAC + Atom?

I am using the Grace SDAC with the Massdrop THX 789 and it sounds great being an extremely low distortion clean amp. The Atom is also very low distortion and would be a nice pairing with a steal price. Better than the Magni which is also in the Atom's price range.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #93 of 641
I am using the Grace SDAC with the Massdrop THX 789 and it sounds great being an extremely low distortion clean amp. The Atom is also very low distortion and would be a nice pairing with a steal price. Better than the Magni which is also in the Atom's price range.

Thanks. I'm also looking at the Liquid Spark. I guess they are both great and very comparable and that one could flip a coin. But I am leaning towards the Spark because I have read that it is a smidge warmer (and maybe even a bit "tubey"), which I think I would prefer.

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #94 of 641
Would this be sufficient for lcd2c’s or Ananda's? Should I be looking at the thx 789 instead? Currently using the Magni/modi 3, but wondering if I’m getting the most out of those two headphones keeps me up at night :/

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #95 of 641
I hear good thing about this amp but it's mostly from Reddit which I trust about as far as I can throw it.

Here is the thing I had an Element for a while and I eventually sold it because ultimately I didn't like it very much. It provided plenty of clean power but it was also too clinical, flat and and ultimately not very exciting/musical, for me. Ive heard similar thing about the O2, but Ive never personally heard an O2. The element is the only JDS thing Ive heard so the question is......is this the JDS house sound or does the Atom sound significantly different when compared to an O2 or say an Element, or EL Amp?
I wonder if there is much difference btw o2 and atom

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #96 of 641
I wonder if there is much difference btw o2 and atom

I find the Atom neutral overall & the O2 to be more dynamic. I like both. Again, the thing to remember that's very important is the quality of the recording. In order to truly compare, in this case two headphone amps, I always make sure that I'm listening to well produced music.

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #97 of 641
I find the Atom neutral overall & the O2 to be more dynamic. I like both. Again, the thing to remember that's very important is the quality of the recording. In order to truly compare, in this case two headphone amps, I always make sure that I'm listening to well produced music.

Thanks for the comparison.

Jan 21, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #99 of 641
0120191516.jpg Current rig. <3

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #103 of 641
So far I am very pleased with Atom. No scratchy pot, no sound compression just great sound.
I feared that Atom will be clinical or not musical but opposite is true.
Great sound, I like Modi 3 + Atom combo more than Chord Mojo.
DSC_0297.jpg

Could it's musical nature depend on which DAC is being used?

Jan 27, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #104 of 641
Could it's musical nature depend on which DAC is being used?
It is possible (at least partially).
I tried the Atom with my Aune M1s DAP as a source and the sound was still quite musical.
Atom is definitely natural sounding AMP. With Modi 3 it is full bodied, natural sound.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #105 of 641
This extremely low distortion value is pushing out placebo. I heard this amp and it was really bright and it's really within the same class of sonic characteristics as something like O2.

What I realized after listening to so called extremly low THD is that, it doesn't matter beyond a certain value, and that low level of THD is not inaudibly distinguishible, and the value doesn't speak for amp's characteristics.

There a bit of hype regarding 789.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back