JBL LSR305 + LSR310S + Titanium HD
Jun 23, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #16 of 21
  Well I went ahead and placed my order for 2 x LSR305 + 1 x LSR310S for my new PC audio setup. They will be replacing my current Corsair SP2500 speakers. Hopefully it will be positive improvement in sound quality and maximum SPL.
However...When used with the LSR310S subwoofer, will the LSR308 offer anything better in terms of sound quality over the LSR305? I've read that some actually prefer the LSR305's sound over the LSR308's? Is this true? Lastly, when positioned near-field (like at the computer desk), I assume the LSR305 can get very loud?

I'm far from an expert, but it would seem that as your going to be using a sub-woofer to cover the really low end, having the LR308 8" woofer would not really make a difference, over the 5" woofer in the LSR305.
And yes, the LSR305 being right at the desk and being with in a few feet of your ears, they will get loud.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #17 of 21

I'm far from an expert, but it would seem that as your going to be using a sub-woofer to cover the really low end, having the LR308 8" woofer would not really make a difference, over the 5" woofer in the LSR305.
And yes, the LSR305 being right at the desk and being with in a few feet of your ears, they will get loud.

Thanks.

Two more questions...

1. Will I have to make sure the tweeter of the LSR305 is at ear-height or at least close to ear-height? I've read that these monitors have a very narrow vertical dispersion.

2. Will there be any issues by having a software-based volume control for the LSR305 + LSR310S combo? I'm talking about Window's own volume control that I can increase and decrease with my keyboard. Would pumping up the Windows-based volume control to max send an "overpowered" signal to the monitors and subwoofer thus causing distortion or will it be fine?

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 21
  Thanks.
Two more questions...
1. Will I have to make sure the tweeter of the LSR305 is at ear-height or at least close to ear-height? I've read that these monitors have a very narrow vertical dispersion.
2. Will there be any issues by having a software-based volume control for the LSR305 + LSR310S combo? I'm talking about Window's own volume control that I can increase and decrease with my keyboard. Would pumping up the Windows-based volume control to max send an "overpowered" signal to the monitors and subwoofer thus causing distortion or will it be fine?

You want the speakers at the same level as your ears (if it's practical).
So if your ears are roughly at about the same level as the space between the tweeter and the woofer, on the studio monitor, your doing good.

For best audio, you would want to max out (or near max) the volume controls at the source (the PC) and use the volume control built into the studio monitor (LSR305/LSR308)
Guess you could say to use the last volume control in the audio chain.
But having to control the volume by adjusting each volume knob on the back on each studio monitor is just not fun :frowning2:
I just set the back of my studio monitors volume knob to about 60% and use the volume control on my keyboard, which controls the main volume setting with Windows.

So sending a max audio signal from the computer will not damage anything, it's only if you also max the volume controls on the studio monitors .

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #19 of 21
Will there be any issues by having a software-based volume control for the LSR305 + LSR310S combo? I'm talking about Window's own volume control that I can increase and decrease with my keyboard. Would pumping up the Windows-based volume control to max send an "overpowered" signal to the monitors and subwoofer thus causing distortion or will it be fine?

No problem.

The easy way to optimize it is

a) Turn down the sub and the speakers, and turn Windows up to 100%.
b) Put on some music and turn up the speakers as loud as you want to listen (as long as they are not distorting). Then adjust the sub gain (volume) to match well.

From then on, just use the Windows system volume.

Then, because you have it setup computer->sub->speakers you have three internal high pass filter options available. : external, 80hz, and what they call XLF, which is some kind of bass boosted 120hz. If you use external, that means the full signal is sent to both the speakers and the sub and you'll get a lot of double bassing. So you typically wouldn't use this with your setup.

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #20 of 21
Thanks for the replies!

Any recommendations for wall-mounted shelves or speaker mounts for the LSR305? I was recommended this on the Gearslutz forum but I am not sure because it will only give me about 2 inches of space behind the port vs. the recommended 5-6 inches.

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1435040343&sr=8-18&keywords=surround+speakers+wall+mount

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #21 of 21
[COLOR=141414]Thanks for the replies![/COLOR]

[COLOR=141414]
[/COLOR][COLOR=141414]Any recommendations for wall-mounted shelves or speaker mounts for the LSR305? I was recommended this on the Gearslutz forum but I am not sure because it will only give me about 2 inches of space behind the port vs. the recommended 5-6 inches.[/COLOR]

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1435040343&sr=8-18&keywords=surround+speakers+wall+mount

The common standard minimal distance for ports from walls is twice the diameter of the port. Not sure how big that port is. If your placement is angled down a bit and inward like in this picture . . .

. . . then the port won't be flush firing against the wall. So you could probably get away placing them an inch or two closer than recommended because the air won't be deflecting directly back and forth from the wall into the port, depending how much they are angled.

I was going to suggest that you ask the guys over at AVS in the LSR305 thread, but I'm guessing that's you that asked since not likely to be two different people on the web from Dubai asking about wall mounts for the 305s in the same week :)

One thing you could try is getting some foam port plugs, turning them into sealed speakers. What that will do is change the Q of the speaker and its max volume. The difference in Q will make them roll off in bass a bit earlier with a more gradual slope, so that shouldn't be a problem if you are using a sub. Now you would lose a bit of maximum volume because the drivers have to work a bit harder in a sealed enclosure than they do in a ported one (see this AVS post about using plugs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back