JBL LSR305 + LSR310S + Titanium HD
Jun 10, 2015 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Quiz

Previously known as Sprkd1
I currently have a Titanium HD and Corsair SP2500 speakers with my desktop PC. I am thinking of replacing the SP2500 speakers with 2 x LSR305 + 1 x LSR310S for a 2.1 setup. My question is how will I connect the speakers and subwoofer to my Titanium HD sound card that only has left and right RCA outputs and no subwoofer output? Is it even possible to directly connect the speakers and subwoofer to my sound card or will I need a preamp in between the chain?

Lastly, for the subwoofer, should I get the matching JBL LSR310S or a SVS PB-1000 or SB-1000?

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 21
  I currently have a Titanium HD and Corsair SP2500 speakers with my desktop PC. I am thinking of replacing the SP2500 speakers with 2 x LSR305 + 1 x LSR310S for a 2.1 setup. My question is how will I connect the speakers and sub-woofer to my Titanium HD sound card that only has left and right RCA outputs and no sub-woofer output? Is it even possible to directly connect the speakers and sub-woofer to my sound card or will I need a preamp in between the chain?

Lastly, for the sub-woofer, should I get the matching JBL LSR310S or a SVS PB-1000 or SB-1000?

The LSR310s sub-woofer comes with two types of inputs, one is the XLR which is a balanced input and the other is the 1/4" jack, which can function as a balanced (TRS 1/4" stereo) or unbalanced input (TS 1/4" mono).
And the LSR310s comes with one type of output, XLR (balanced)

You can connect the Titanium HD to the LSR310s using RCA to 1/4" mono plug cables, which is an unbalanced connection, unbalanced is the more commonly used connection (I guess for the average everyday person, non-professional type)
You can connect the LSR310s to the LSR305 using an XLR to XLR cable, this would be a balanced connection.
I'm not sure if the sub-woofer will work with both an unbalanced and balanced connection at the same time.
As the LSR310s also has balanced XLR input, I'm not sure if the sub-woofer needs to have both connections (input and output) be balanced, for the sub-woofer to work.
But I would guess (best guess) as the sub-woofer does not come with an unbalanced output, the LSR310s would be ok using a unbalanced input with a balanced output, otherwise JBL would also have included a unbalanced output (best guess).
I'm not much experienced or an expert in studio monitors, so I'm just trying my best to figure out how to get you connected.

Is the Titanium-HD used for FPS gaming or movies or music or other?
(the Titanium-HD makes a good DAC)

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 21

The LSR310s sub-woofer comes with two types of inputs, one is the XLR which is a balanced input and the other is the 1/4" jack, which can function as a balanced (TRS 1/4" stereo) or unbalanced input (TS 1/4" mono).

You can connect the Titanium HD to the LSR310s using RCA to 1/4" mono plug cables, which is an unbalanced connection, unbalanced is the more commonly used connection (I guess for the average everyday person, non-professional type)
You can connect the LSR310s to the LSR305 using an XLR to XLR cable, this would be a balanced connection.
I'm not sure if the sub-woofer will work with both an unbalanced and balanced connection at the same time.
As the LSR310s also has balanced XLR input, I'm not sure if the sub-woofer needs to have both connections (input and output) be balanced, for the sub-woofer to work.
But I would guess (best guess) as the sub-woofer does not come with an unbalanced output, the LSR310s would be ok using a unbalanced input with a balanced output, otherwise JBL would also have included a unbalanced output (best guess).
I'm not much experienced or an expert in studio monitors, so I'm just trying my best to figure out how to get you connected.

Thanks for the reply.

The Titanium HD is used many for gaming (FPS) with a bit of movies and music.

Secondly, I might have to re-think this purchase because my computer desk it small and won't fit the LSR305s with the monitor on the desk. I'll have to place them on shelves (installed on the wall) on both sides of the computer desk. How much space do the monitors need behind the port for it to work properly? Plus, the LSR305s are also quite deep physically so they might look overpowering next to my small desk.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 21
Ideally for rear ported monitors you want a minimum of 5-6" behind, more the better.  If you are worried about it the KRK rp5's are front ported, I wouldnt recommend them without a sub as they are designed to work with the  KRK 10" sub.  There are other front ported monitors out there, just the JBL's seem to be flavour of the month on this site.  You do some digging on pro audio sites you will find plenty of other options out there, such as the ADAM f5 or the presonus ERIS e5. or even the focal alpha 50's.  

I have spent thousands of hours with monitors in the last decade, and my best bit of advice when buying is try before you buy and dont just spend 20-30mins with a set be an annoying customer and take recordings you are familiar with and only listen to them, not the shops offering.  I do understand not everyone can do this, if the case then look into returns policy as shipping 2 monitors and a sub is NOT cheep.

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks for the reply.

The Titanium HD is used many for gaming (FPS) with a bit of movies and music.

Secondly, I might have to re-think this purchase because my computer desk it small and won't fit the LSR305s with the monitor on the desk. I'll have to place them on shelves (installed on the wall) on both sides of the computer desk. How much space do the monitors need behind the port for it to work properly? Plus, the LSR305s are also quite deep physically so they might look overpowering next to my small desk.

How about getting a bigger desk or even putting a big piece of wood on top of your desk to get a larger desk area?

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 21
  Ideally for rear ported monitors you want a minimum of 5-6" behind, more the better.  If you are worried about it the KRK rp5's are front ported, I wouldnt recommend them without a sub as they are designed to work with the  KRK 10" sub.  There are other front ported monitors out there, just the JBL's seem to be flavour of the month on this site.  You do some digging on pro audio sites you will find plenty of other options out there, such as the ADAM f5 or the presonus ERIS e5. or even the focal alpha 50's.  

I have spent thousands of hours with monitors in the last decade, and my best bit of advice when buying is try before you buy and dont just spend 20-30mins with a set be an annoying customer and take recordings you are familiar with and only listen to them, not the shops offering.  I do understand not everyone can do this, if the case then look into returns policy as shipping 2 monitors and a sub is NOT cheep.

I think that even with the LSR305 placed right against the back wall, they are already going to be aligned with my monitor. If need extra room behind the speakers, they are going to be in front of the monitor. I really think they are going to look and be physically "overpowering" next to my small desk.

How about getting a bigger desk or even putting a big piece of wood on top of your desk to get a larger desk area?

Can't get a bigger desk because my room is small and there is no more space.

Quote:
I have the SB1000. SVS subs are fantastic values for the money. What are you looking for in a sub? Are you trying to fill a big room?

My room is small. About 10 x 10 feet or 11 x 11 feet. I don't need room-filling bass because the subwoofer is going to be placed right next to my computer desk (where my SP2500 subwoofer is right now)

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 21
My room is small. About 10 x 10 feet or 11 x 11 feet. I don't need room-filling bass because the subwoofer is going to be placed right next to my computer desk (where my SP2500 subwoofer is right now)

Then the JBL sub would have plenty of output for nearfield usage. The SB-1000 as well.

Jun 13, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #10 of 21

Another question just came up...

Instead of connecting the Titanium HD to the LSR310S with RCA to 1/4" mono plug cables, can I use RCA to XLR cables instead from the Titanium HD to the LSR310S? Or will it not make any difference?

Jun 13, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 21
  Another question just came up...

Instead of connecting the Titanium HD to the LSR310S with RCA to 1/4" mono plug cables, can I use RCA to XLR cables instead from the Titanium HD to the LSR310S? Or will it not make any difference?

The RCAs are an unbalanced connection (one signal channel per cable) and the XLR is a balanced connection (two signal channels per cable), so not designed to work with each other.

Jun 13, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 21

The RCAs are an unbalanced connection (one signal channel per cable) and the XLR is a balanced connection (two signal channels per cable), so not designed to work with each other.

But the subwoofer in my actual/main home theater only has XLR input while my A/V receiver only has a RCA output for the subwoofer channel. I use a RCA to RCA cable with an XLR adapter cable at the subwoofer end and it works fine?

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #14 of 21
  But the sub-woofer in my actual/main home theater only has XLR input while my A/V receiver only has a RCA output for the sub-woofer channel. I use a RCA to RCA cable with an XLR adapter cable at the sub-woofer end and it works fine?

I'm guessing the A/V receivers RCA jack is only feeding one of the two signal channels of the XLR connection, which i guess that is all that is needed for the sub-woofer to function.
If the adapter split the one signal channel into two signal channels, each of the XLR dual signal inputs would only get 50% of the normal signal.
But i really know very little about XLR stuff, beyond the very basic.

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 21
Well I went ahead and placed my order for 2 x LSR305 + 1 x LSR310S for my new PC audio setup. They will be replacing my current Corsair SP2500 speakers. Hopefully it will be positive improvement in sound quality and maximum SPL.

However...

When used with the LSR310S subwoofer, will the LSR308 offer anything better in terms of sound quality over the LSR305? I've read that some actually prefer the LSR305's sound over the LSR308's? Is this true? Lastly, when positioned near-field (like at the computer desk), I assume the LSR305 can get very loud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back