JBL J55 purchased
Aug 21, 2013 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lebomb

100+ Head-Fier
Wow........I sold my Aviators that I bought yesterday for what I got them for on clearance to a friend.  I thought they sounded very clear, but for the type of music I listen to, they just didnt have enough bass.  A flat response is desired by audiophiles I realize, but I needed a more V-shape response for the Jazz, Hip-Hop, Country and R&B I listen to the most.  Let me tell you, JBL got it right for sure.  I love the highs, mids and lows these cans deliver.  I love the locking removable cable on the earpiece, and also the way the ear cups rotate up 180deg for storage.  I also love the flat cable....its thick and very sturdy.  The cable on the Aviators was a JOKE!!!  It was tiny, fabric covered and tangled all to hell.  I had already bought an off the shelf cable to replace it that was much thicker and rubberized.  I do have to admit that I liked the clarity of the Aviator and the fact it had alot of leather pieces, but it just didnt have enough bass.  I felt like I was missing a whole part of my music.  Anyhow, I recommend this headphone for those who like a warm, clear, bassy sound.  

PS.  I love the way these cans look.......typical JBL.  Classy!  The Aviators are a hit or miss depending on who you ask.  I thought they looked OK, but thank god they had a cleaning cloth for all the fingerprints you will handling the cans. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 10
Anyone have a comment on these that have heard them?  Just curious what your thoughts are. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 10
Bump!

My AKG K167 just broke, the headband cracked
mad.gif
and I am thinking of these as replacement.

Any other users of these cans?

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 10
  Wow........I sold my Aviators that I bought yesterday for what I got them for on clearance to a friend.  I thought they sounded very clear, but for the type of music I listen to, they just didnt have enough bass.  A flat response is desired by audiophiles I realize, but I needed a more V-shape response for the Jazz, Hip-Hop, Country and R&B I listen to the most.  Let me tell you, JBL got it right for sure.  I love the highs, mids and lows these cans deliver.  I love the locking removable cable on the earpiece, and also the way the ear cups rotate up 180deg for storage.  I also love the flat cable....its thick and very sturdy.  The cable on the Aviators was a JOKE!!!  It was tiny, fabric covered and tangled all to hell.  I had already bought an off the shelf cable to replace it that was much thicker and rubberized.  I do have to admit that I liked the clarity of the Aviator and the fact it had alot of leather pieces, but it just didnt have enough bass.  I felt like I was missing a whole part of my music.  Anyhow, I recommend this headphone for those who like a warm, clear, bassy sound.  

PS.  I love the way these cans look.......typical JBL.  Classy!  The Aviators are a hit or miss depending on who you ask.  I thought they looked OK, but thank god they had a cleaning cloth for all the fingerprints you will handling the cans. 

Got pics?

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 10
Mar 24, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 10
Nice improvement over the "other" 55's.  Looks like removable cord and over ear cups.  How's the sound signature?  V shaped? 

They're actually on ear, but fit like an over. They sound great very clear. They do have a V shaped response. Has nice bass, not overpowering, and there when you need it. Picked mine up for $44 at Nebraska Furniture. They are actually $55, but I got an opened package that was used for testing. Best $50 I've spent

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 10
I bought the JBL J55 and the AKG K403 the same day for my portable mp3 player.

I was disappointed... until I bought a Fiio E6 amp.  (I didnt know these thing was available since last year... and nobody around me know that too lol)

Wow... Now these headphones sounds good!!!

I love the J55

Both are On-Ear... but the JBL act more like Over-Ear. 

It's quieter for the people around me!

I think I pay 59$ for the JBL and the AKG K403 for only 8$ (clearance sale)

Now I cant wait to receive my C&C BH2 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back