Jazz sale at Tower.com (Impulse! & Verve)
Aug 6, 2002 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BenG

500+ Head-Fier
I noticed several Impulse! records classics on sale at Tower for $9.99 and $7.99 (usually $14.99 or $12.99) from Coltrane, Oliver Nelson, Mingus, and others. (even Diana Krall) Free shipping for orders over $49, too.

I'm not an employee or even a fan of Tower, but I saw some really unbeatable deals on some the best music, period.

edit: Also some Verves for $6.99 to $9.99, including several Verve Master Editions: Getz/Gilberto, Oscar Peterson, Ella & Louis, Clifford Brown, among others.

Aug 6, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 7
Wow.....cool......hehehe.......I can round off my Coltrane collection, at last.....

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 7
tHis is my favorite post- A love supreme record(the last year), in serene contrast to Ascension or Mediations, for example. No Pharoah or Alice Coltrane in the way, either.

B00004TA41.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Aug 8, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
tHis is my favorite post- A love supreme record(the last year), in serene contrast to Ascension or Mediations, for example. No Pharoah or Alice Coltrane in the way, either.

B00004TA41.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

My favorite post-"A Love Supreme" Coltrane record is "Live at the Village Vanguard Again." Moving music, even by Pharoah and Alice.

It continues to amaze me how much the post "ALS" stuff is still misunderstood and undervalued.

Aug 8, 2002 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 7
My favorite post "A Love Supreme" Coltrane record is also "Interstellar Space".

There's something about that sound of just sax. and drums that really gets me. The absence of bass or a keyboard instrument just really seems to liberate Trane into the outer stratospheres.

Aug 9, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 7
Right now, I feel Stellar Regions may be John's strongest release, period.

But I always go back to my first Trane love, ALS.

Interstellar Space is quite nice, though, i haven't bought it, but plan to.

Aug 9, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ

My favorite post-"A Love Supreme" Coltrane record is "Live at the Village Vanguard Again." Moving music, even by Pharoah and Alice.

I think I agree. I can't fully enjoy Ali's drumming, though the sax is wonderful in IS Space. I don't mind Pharoah, though I think he does better later on his own. Dolphy was more successful playing WITH Trane, IMO.

But there is something special about ALS... I think it is the formality of the structure and the tautness (I think this is the most misspelled word on Head-Fi, by the way) of the soloing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back