Jazz Recommendations??
Jun 18, 2008 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

m0b1liz3

100+ Head-Fier
Some of my favs are Eddie Harris, Coltrane etc. but I would like to expand things more. I recently heard Herbie Hancocks The Joni Letters and liked it. I am also a fan of jazz guitar but find it is really difficult to find cds in this category that are not too cheesey. I liked the earlier George Benson stuff. (Not really into big band etc) Any recommendations would be great.

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 18
If you like Coltrane, how about some Sonny Rollins?

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 18
The Wes Montgomery suggestions are all excellent - The Incredible Jazz Guitar being my fave of the three.

Given you liked the Herbie Hancock, I'd suggest Maiden Voyage which was his first great album and is more mainstream Jazz than some of his more famous stuff from the '70s like Headhunters.

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 18
Jazz guitar - have you tried Django Reinhart or Tal Farlow? They're terrific, give them a listen.

If you enjoy solo guitar work, you might want to try Leo Kottke's "Armadillo" album. It's not jazz, more roots and bluegrass. I know that's not fashionable now, but the music is good. And if you like it, there's a lot more like it.

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 18
Individual Soul by D-Kay. Its a mix of jazz and drum & bass, but take that with a grain of salt.

Its almost completely jazz, and although it doesnt sound like Charlie parker and the other artists just mentioned, give it a try. It is a soothing, relaxing, fun album!

(my two cents, I dont know much about jazz besides acid jazz.)

Jun 21, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 18
Lou Donaldson - Alligator Bogaloo: Organ-based quintet led by an alto saxist; very early glimpse of George Benson.

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 18
Just about anything by Brad Mehldau.

Great piano trio stuff with some particularly stellar rhythm section work by Larry Grenadier on bass and Jorge Rossy or Jeff Ballard on drums.

For guitar I'll recommend Jim Hall, since nobody else has yet. My favourite is the CD Live.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 18
Bill Evans?

If you want something modern I have an album called sample this by joe sample which i think has some decent tracks on it although i haven't done proper extensive listening yet. Just looked him up on amazon he seems to have a lot of albums so can't say if he'd be considered cheesy or not. the sample this album doesn't strike me as cheesy and im very squeamish about cheesy piano

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #14 of 18
Box Set Bill Evans Trio
Carla Bley
Ellis Marsalis - Open Letter to Thelonius
Chick Corea/Gary Burton - The New Crystal Silence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back