Jazz Recomendations
Oct 26, 2003 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Hiker

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering what you could recommend for beginning a jazz collection. I have been meaning to do this for a few years now, but I have always but it on the back burner. I think I will actually go and by some cds now, but I would like some recommendations. I am interested in older 1920s-40s jazz or anything with that type of sound. Contemporary jazz does not interest me much from what Ive heard, but I guess I could give something a try if you really think it is worth hearing. I was thinking of starting off with this collection. It is from the Ken Burns documentary. I am not sure how comprehensive this collection is or the recording quality.

Thanks
Hiker

Oct 26, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 22
There is no doubt that Jazz from the 20's-40's was great, but the recording quality was not very good. You could check out some old Louis Armstrong recordings from that era, which I beleive actually sound pretty decent.

For better sound quality Jazz recordings, you have to go for at least late 50's into the 60's.

Check out the Blue Note RVG Series recordings that are re-mastered and sound excellent at: http://www.bluenote.com/rvg_promo.asp

Also remasters from www.fantasyjazz.com are great quality.

Oct 26, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 22
It's tough to make recommendations since Jazz is such a broad genre, but I will give you a few of my favorite classic recordings from the 60's and 70's.

John Coltrane - Blue Train
Chick Corea - Light as a Feather
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, In a Silent Way
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters (Funky)
Jimmy Smith and Kenny Burrell - Blue Bash

A current band I like is the Jazz Mandolin Project. They are a trio of mandolin, bass, and drum. Great stuff. They like to jam so its very different from the classic jazz recordings above.

Oct 26, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by tanfenton
What is your favorite instrument?

NGF

Well Im a trumpet player so Ill have to go with that.

Oct 26, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 22
I think you'd like these, then: Booker Little's Out Front and Victory and Sorrow (aka Booker Little and Friend) and Kenny Dorham's 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia. If you buy nothing else, I urge you to buy Out Front. Both these trumpeters never get mention, and there's really no reason for that. To me, they are both more engaging than Miles.

NGF

Oct 26, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 22
Coltrane, My Favourite Things -- or at least something that has both "My Favourite Things" and "Giant Steps"

Miles Davis, Kind of Blue, Birth of Cool

Oct 26, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 22
I am not really into Jazz, but I love Django Reinhardt so I would strongly suggest picking up some of his CDs.

Get this, it's a lot cheaper than you would think :

B00004S5WA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This wonderful five-disc box is an indispensable collection of prewar, prebop jazz that belongs in the company of your finest Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, and Benny Goodman sets. Technically, this isn't a true box set--it merely collects five single-disc compilations under one slipcase--but it is infinitely rewarding nonetheless. Disheartened by what he thought were sonically subpar Reinhardt collections, Ted Kendall undertook an ambitious mission to find the best original sources for this classic material and then meticulously remastered them. He wisely opted to leave in some of the surface noise to maintain the clarity and integrity of the music. And what glorious, jubilant music it is! Dating to the very first Quintet of the Hot Club of France sessions in September 1934 (before they'd even established that moniker), the collection includes all the landmark recordings Reinhardt made for Ultraphone, Decca (its English and French labels), and HMV up through the Quintet's 1939 breakup on the eve of World War II. Reinhardt's guitar work is spirited and adventurous throughout--lightning-quick runs, insistent rhythm work, and hybrid "riffs" that seem to split the difference. Nearly all the cuts feature the elegant but vivacious violin work of his most famous foil, Stephane Grappelli, who certainly deserves co-billing on the set. The way the two feed off each other's energy is magical. Despite their well-documented personality clashes, the twosome remains perhaps the most synergistic in jazz history, constantly engaging in their incredible cat-and-mouse games. Often overlooked are the songwriting talents of the two musicians, who contributed several standards to the jazz canon. Though mostly focused on the Quintet recordings, the set detours for such oddities as a pair of solo Reinhardt cuts from 1937 and collaborations with Coleman Hawkins. Simply delightful from beginning to end. --Marc Greilsamer

Oct 27, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 22
Thanks, Ill take a look at some of these.

Oct 27, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 22
Look into Michael White's "Jazz from the Soul of New Orleans". A great album in the 1920's/New Orleans/Ragtime style. Plus it is also probraly the best recorded album I own. Some of the vocal tracks will blow you away with how real and dynamic they sound. It is pretty hard to find a decent clarinet recording and this one is the best I have ever heard.

Oct 28, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 22
Right now I am really enjoying "Kind of Blue" and "Birth of Cool" remasters.

Nov 1, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #14 of 22
That Ken Burns compilation might be OK if you just want to get a taste of some things. There are some great tunes on there, but, as one reviewer said, it's like trying to summarize the history of rock and roll on 5 CDs. Can't be done.

I recently built the beginning of a collection by reviewing the links here, and checking out the recommendations on allmusic. I bought about 30 of the most frequently recommended CDs from BMG for less than $6 apiece. Less than $200 and I've got the foundation for a decent collection.

Personally, I'd skip the Ken Burns collection unless you're really not sure whether you'll get into jazz.

Nov 1, 2003 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 22
It's not a WELL KNOWN choice, but I highly recommend Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson. If you are a fan of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, you will love this album.

Also, the remastering and restoring done by Verve Records on this CD is remarkable, right down to seeking out tubed digital gear to recapture the tuby-ness of the original master tapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back