Jays q-JAYS Reference earphones (2nd generation) Impressions Thread
May 1, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #47 of 61
OK so, I am just gonna gradually post, but here is my first impression:

Firstly, amazing packaging, I love opening new things and this was a treat. The earphones themselves feel amazing, nice and heavy, and just a beautiful product (pics to come).

I chucked on the plastic tips (considering the comply's were kinda gross), and hated it. It was cold, analytic and lacked bass. I felt this was just due to tips/bad seal. So as @Brooko mentioned in an earlier post, I put on some Shure Olives, and BAM!

Hardware:
iPod Classic 160GB (ALAC files)
Silver/Cryo iPod Line Out
HeadAmp Pico portable Amp/Dac

Listening to a variety of:
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I, Citadel (progressive black metal)
Fallujah - Dreamless (atmospheric death metal)
Hans Zimmer - Interstellar (soundtrack)
Frozen (Disney soundtrack)
Opeth (progressive)
TesseracT (progressive/djent metal)

Just a beautiful pair of in-ears so far.

I am hoping to spend more time with these over the next two weeks and will put up some more impressions.

May 1, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #48 of 61
  OK so, I am just gonna gradually post, but here is my first impression:

Firstly, amazing packaging, I love opening new things and this was a treat. The earphones themselves feel amazing, nice and heavy, and just a beautiful product (pics to come).

I chucked on the plastic tips (considering the comply's were kinda gross), and hated it. It was cold, analytic and lacked bass. I felt this was just due to tips/bad seal. So as @Brooko mentioned in an earlier post, I put on some Shure Olives, and BAM!

Hardware:
iPod Classic 160GB (ALAC files)
Silver/Cryo iPod Line Out
HeadAmp Pico portable Amp/Dac

Listening to a variety of:
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I, Citadel (progressive black metal)
Fallujah - Dreamless (atmospheric death metal)
Hans Zimmer - Interstellar (soundtrack)
Frozen (Disney soundtrack)
Opeth (progressive)
TesseracT (progressive/djent metal)

I am hoping to spend more time with these over the next two weeks and will put up some more impressions.

Thanks for the update mate! Glad you like em. :)

May 2, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #51 of 61
  I put on some Shure Olives, and BAM!

Yup...
Sounds about right.
Sorry you don't care for Comply's. That's my 'BAM'.

Cheers

May 18, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #52 of 61
When you volunteer to take part of a review or audition cycle, you take risks; risk of damaging the items, risk of losing the items etc, but the biggest risk, is the risk that you find yourself wanting to keep the audition equipment. That just happened to me.

These earphones are beautiful - not only from their amazing design and feel, but paired up with some solid tips (Shure Olives), they can outshine the best set of IEMs you own.

It is with great regret I package these up and get them ready to send back to their original owner, but I just can't spend anymore time with these, they're just too good.

Without going into too much detail, because then I'll end up sad, I found the highlights of the QJays were their comfort, amazing tonal range and wide soundstage. At least compared to my 1964 V3s. The QJays felt more like the ER4s to me, in that they were true sounding and were well rounded, whereas in comparison I find the V3s to be much more boomier etc.

Anyway, I am sad to see these go, and even more upset that they are just too expensive for me to add to my collection. Maybe if I win the lottery or something.....

Until then, it's back to my V3s.

May 18, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #53 of 61
  When you volunteer to take part of a review or audition cycle, you take risks; risk of damaging the items, risk of losing the items etc, but the biggest risk, is the risk that you find yourself wanting to keep the audition equipment. That just happened to me.

These earphones are beautiful - not only from their amazing design and feel, but paired up with some solid tips (Shure Olives), they can outshine the best set of IEMs you own.

It is with great regret I package these up and get them ready to send back to their original owner, but I just can't spend anymore time with these, they're just too good.

Without going into too much detail, because then I'll end up sad, I found the highlights of the QJays were their comfort, amazing tonal range and wide soundstage. At least compared to my 1964 V3s. The QJays felt more like the ER4s to me, in that they were true sounding and were well rounded, whereas in comparison I find the V3s to be much more boomier etc.

Anyway, I am sad to see these go, and even more upset that they are just too expensive for me to add to my collection. Maybe if I win the lottery or something.....

Until then, it's back to my V3s.

I totally agree with you, Jays Q-Jays are an awesome IEM; one of my favorites now.  BTW, the price has dropped!!! 

https://www.jaysheadphones.com/q-jays

I purchased mine from Audio 46 (New York Headphone Store) for $280 last week.

http://audio46.com/shop/jays-q-jays-reference-earphones/

May 18, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #54 of 61
There's also a 10% off code until 5/22 (see the Deals thread).  BTW: Does anyone know if you purchase the unit with the mic, is that the only cable you get, or do you also get the standard cable?

May 19, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #55 of 61
No sure anyone notice this, but: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFMg2kBDhV5/

q-JAYS Anniversary Edition

May 30, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #57 of 61
Hi guys, 

First, I have to issue a HUGE apology for the lateness of these impressions. My time with them was full of mixed emotions with the last being that I would love one last crack at getting the best sound out of them cos I didn't achieve that the first time around... so here they are:

So, I have struggled to write these impressions for a fair while. So lets take it from the top.

Unboxing and Package.

My my, this is my type of packaging. From the moment you slip off the sleeve the whole thing screams with a beautiful sense of minimalism. Everything has its proper place and is neatly presented in sleek black.

To me, three things stand out about the package:

1.    1. The cable – this little cable is thin but feels strong and supple. I am a fan of thicker cables, braids and big strain releafs, but this thing inspires confidence and is super silky, big tick.
2.    2. The case – It reminds me of my previous fav case from the FLC8 with that really nice metal finish and solid but not heavy heft. The negative from that case was that it was a little too big, not so this one. Just a nice, solid yet sleek puck that keeps the precious contents safe.
3.    3. The iems themselves – They are minimalist perfection. Sleek and beautiful. They also manage to tread the fine line between small and solid. Really well done.

Sound

So we come to the sound and here is why it has taken me so long to get to this. I am reluctant to write too much as I feel like I always struggled to get what I felt I should be hearing out of them. The resultant sound always left me with the same feeling I get when I don’t have a good seal. I am not a novice at iems so I spent a fair bit of time rolling tips and it still never had that wow moment for me. I am going to leave it at that as I feel like there was potential in there...

To be honest, the one tip I didn’t have that I felt could have done the job is the shure foams, they seal better in my ear than anything else I have found. Subsequently I have read a number of opinions confirming this, so I would recommend if you have had the same experience as me and want to take it all the way, have a look in that direction.

All in all, I would love to have another go at these bad boys because in every way other than sound I loved them, the experience left me feeling like I need another try especially after hearing others experiences of them. However, until said time I have to conclude that they have not been my cup of tea.

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #58 of 61
Does anyone know if there are plans to offer a 2.5mm balanced TRRS terminated version of this for DAP's with balanced outputs? I'd love to pair these with my Onkyo DP-X1, and have the option of swapping between an iOS cable and a balanced cable depending on my device.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #59 of 61
I just bought a pair used for 230$ on ebay including shipping. Pleased so far. I love the stealth design and fit. Seems pretty flat across the spectrum, but not thin-sounding. Build quality is first-rate. Just a lot to like here.

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #60 of 61
Q-Jays 10th anniversary edition, limited to 200 pieces.  Nice bling in contrast to the stealth black and includes what appears to be and upgraded cable:
https://www.jaysheadphones.com/products/q-jays-anniversary-edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back