Jaybird Freedom
Dec 2, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #46 of 54
If anyone is interested, here is my review on the jaybird Freedoms

http://www.head-fi.org/products/jaybird-freedom-f5-in-ear-wireless-headphones-carbon/reviews/17430

I do agree that it is a tad expensive, but with deals at 120USD, its a rather decent purchase i guess

Missed out on the X3's during black friday! but i think my MEEelectronics M7's are a worthy contender to the Jaybird line. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #47 of 54
I have a pair of X2s which sound OK but I simply cannot find a good fit - really uncomfortable after a short period of time regardless of the tips I use (mediums feel OK but can't get a seal, large are too large and hurt, no wing setup helps any of the tips)... 

But the wireless is really nice and these, on sale, seem like a good choice - any thoughts on the fit of these compared to X2s?

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #48 of 54
I have a pair of X2s which sound OK but I simply cannot find a good fit - really uncomfortable after a short period of time regardless of the tips I use (mediums feel OK but can't get a seal, large are too large and hurt, no wing setup helps any of the tips)... 
But the wireless is really nice and these, on sale, seem like a good choice - any thoughts on the fit of these compared to X2s?

Both the Freedoms AND x3's are on sale for $99 (US) @ Amazon or BB
I have both and really like each. My preference is the Freedoms for the incredibly small build, without sacrificing sound but the x3's for longer battery without having to put on the battery clip like on the Freedoms.
I think $99 is the sweet-spot price for both of these to justify the shortcomings of each.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #49 of 54
This thread's been quiet for a while, but it seems the "right" place to ask.

My Jaybirds X2's won't pair anymore (less than one year old). Support says that I'll likely be eligible for a warranty replacement of the X2 with the Freedom. Reading the comments here, it seems mixed in that there are some pro's to the Freedoms and some like the X2's.

While I don't know if it is possible to push for an X2 replacement, would there be many suggestions to do so? Or to just go to the Freedom? TIA

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #50 of 54
Question for Freedom owners who have iOS devices: if you adjust the volume on the earphones does it adjust the volume on iOS itself or is it a separate volume control on the earphones and iOS?

What I'm saying, is the volume that is being adjusted the same whether you use the phone or the headset or is there a volume adjustment for the earphones themselves and one for the Bluetooth output volume on the phone which is separate?

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #51 of 54
I believe it adjusts both when using the volume control on the headset. I don;t have them here with me but I believe that is the case.

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #52 of 54
I had the volume problem with the Jaybird Freedom and managed to fix it with a firmware update. The volume is now completely normal and no longer has the abrupt jump in volume between notch 3 and 4. It is now progressive across the whole of the volume range.

Hope this helps those who reported this issue as it helped me!

NOTES BEFORE YOU START - I was not able to do this with the short USB cable that you use to charge the headphones. Apparently this does not have "data capabilities". I had to use a third party USB cable I found lying around. When you try it with the short charging cable, nothing happens when you connect the headphones, the firmware update just does not start.

- Plug the USB cable into the computer and into the charging dock first. Then, attach the inline remote of the headphones into the charging dock in the manner they describe (essentially, you just need to be pressing the power button in as you snap the remote into place).

You can update the firmware of your Jaybird Freedom in two ways. Using the Windows operating system or the MAC operating system. Here's how:

Windows
IMPORTANT: Make sure the customer is using a micro USB cable with data capabilities before attempting to update their buds.
  • Download and Install the Jaybird Freedom Firmware Update Assistant:
    • Download the file here: www.jaybirdsport.com/dfu/
    • Run the Jaybird Freedom Firmware Update Assistant file.
    • Accept any changes the Jaybird Freedom Firmware Update Assistant required by the installer.
    • Run the Jaybird Freedom Firmware Update Assistant from the Start Menu or Desktop.TIP: If the customer can’t find the utility, they can search for it from the Windows Start Menu by typing in “Jaybird”. 
  • Put the Freedom buds in DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode.
  • Make sure the buds are turned off, then follow the steps on the screen (shown):TIPS: 
    1. Try using the other hand to hold the battery clip
    2. Try using the thumb to apply the pressure onto the power button
    3. Refer to this video 
    4. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_0thBoaTBJZElWNXpIUExjOUk/view

• Click Next to start the update.
  • Click Finish to close the utility.
  • After the update, the buds turn off automatically and will be in pairing mode when turned back on. The customer will need to complete the pairing process as if the buds are new.

Possible Errors:
Freedom Earbuds Do Not Power On After The Update
  1. Disconnect the earbuds inline remote from the charging clip, this may have already happened if the customer tried to turn off the buds.
  2. Reconnect the earbuds inline remote to the charging clip. The LED should light up after a few seconds.
  3. Disconnect the earbuds from the charging clip again and turn on/put into pairing mode by pressing the middle button for 4 seconds.

Updater Error
  1. If the user disconnects the buds while the update is in progress, the update will freeze/stop and the user will need to start again.
  2. Have the user close the Update Assistant and select Yes when asked if they want to abort.
  3. Restart the Update Assistant Software.
  4. Complete the update as instructed from the beginning.    
This should not have any negative impact on the buds or the update outcome.

Mac
IMPORTANT: ​ Make sure the customer is using a micro USB cable with data capabilities before attempting to update their buds. 
  • Download and Install the Jaybird Freedom Firmware Update Assistant:
    • Download the file here: www.jaybirdsport.com/dfu/
    • If an unknown application notification appears, click ‘Open’. This will appear because the file was not downloaded from the App Store. 
    • Run the Jaybird Freedom Firmware Update Assistant file.
    • Accept any changes the Jaybird Freedom Firmware Update Assistant required by the installer
    • To complete the installation of the Jaybird Freedom Firmware Update Assistant, the customer will need to move the updater app into theApplications folder.
    • Find the update utility by using the search bar and searching for ‘Jaybird Freedom Firmware Update Assistant’ then open it.
  • Put the Freedom buds in DFU (device firmware update) mode. Make sure the buds are turned off, then follow the steps on the screen (shown):
    TIPS: 
    1. Try using the other hand to hold the battery clip
    2. Try using the thumb to apply the pressure onto the power button
    3. Refer to this video
    4. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_0thBoaTBJZElWNXpIUExjOUk/view
  • Click Next to start the update.
  • Click Finish to close the utility.
  • After the update, the buds will be turned off automatically and will be in pairing mode when turned back on. The customer will need to complete the pairing process as if the buds were new.

Possible Errors:
Freedom Earbuds Do Not Power On After The Update
  1. Disconnect the earbuds inline remote from the charging clip, this may have already happened if the customer tried to turn off the buds.
  2. Reconnect the earbuds inline remote to the charging clip. The LED should light up after a few seconds.
  3. Disconnect the earbuds from the charging clip again and turn on/put into pairing mode by pressing the middle button for 4 seconds.

Updater Error
  1. If the user disconnects the buds while the update is in progress, the update will freeze/stop and the user will need to start again.
  2. Have the user close the Update Assistant and select Yes when asked if they want to abort.
  3. Restart the Update Assistant Software.
  4. Complete the update as instructed from the beginning.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #53 of 54
Thank you so much. Love my freedoms, but has been sooooo annoyed with the volume problem.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #54 of 54
Just got these yesterday and they are exactly what I was looking for. Sound is better than expected and battery life seems to be longer than 4 hours before I have to attach the battery clip. It also charges really fast compared to things like my phone or bluetooth speaker. You can also charge that clip separate from the headphones and keep the headphones going endlessly without ever having to take them off and plug them in.

On foobar I adjust 2.5khz down about 1/4 below neutral to reduce sibilance in vocals, also 3.5 a little down. These aren't perfect, soundstage seems to be pretty much totally missing but they are bluetooth iem's. Bass seems like it's probably a little heavy, maybe it's my ear placement, maybe it's because I'm an Audio Technica guy but they sound pretty good for what I use them for. Anyway, you can use the app to apply an eq to them and it keeps that eq setting until you change it again with the app.

I can put them in, watch a movie, listen to music and walk around the house, play a video game on my laptop, or turn them down low and sleep comfortably without them falling out or disturbing me while trying to fall asleep. Almost perfect for 100-130 dollars. The sound is good enough but don't expect them to sound like audiophile wired headphones. The air isn't there in Norah Jones' voice, the separation of instruments isn't there in anything, the contrast of sounds in Marilyn Mansons Dope Show isn't quite there either but it sounds really good, bass is deep and fast, Sublime's Don't Push/5446 sounds great on these, Mayonaise by Smashing Pumpkins sounds very good too, eq'd differently. Anyway, these I'll use more than all of my wired headphones so I'll keep them because they are pretty good and very convenient.

I hope the batteries last but if not I got the warranty for a reason and I usually never buy the warranty on anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back