Jaton PSD7611K: best cheap multi-region player for audio?
Sep 10, 2002 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tweertinelle

I'm looking for an unproblematic multi-region DVD player that does PAL to NTSC conversion without stretching the image and outputs 24-bit/96k.

Does anyone know anything about the new Jaton PSD7611K? Supposedly, it does everything better than the Malata n996 (except x-y scaling) and is twice as cheap as the Denon 2800. It uses a Sanyo drive. Anyone know about this machine, h-m-m-m-m-m-m?

(Jaton review and information here.)

Sep 10, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 5
i have a sampo dve631cf and it works pretty well for me. got it for super cheap from buy.com and then "upgraded" the firmware to be region free.
biggrin.gif
there is lots of information about sampo's line of dvd players at area450.com.

the picture isn't stretched at all on my family guy season 1 dvd from amazon.co.uk. i haven't ever a/b'd it against my other sources as far as sound goes though; i use it's digital out and run it through my msb link iii dac instead. hope i helped!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 5
I use a Tatung DV-990 for my import DVDs. It handles PAL >NTSC just fine and it was pretty cheap. But, I have no idea if it does 24-bit/96k.

It sounds fine to me, but that's probably 'cause I run the digital coax out to my processor.

Sep 11, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 5
Grinch, my embryo-pard: I do know about the Sampo machines, which read anything and are great for DIY (putting in a hard drive, for example). Still, their stretchy PAL conversion is a known issue and would mar my Eurotrash film marathons (current favorites: _Death Laid an Egg_, by Julio Questi, and the delicately violent _Finishing School_).

Daewoo and Apex have the same Mr. Fantastic issue. Malata machines do not.

However, in a few Nerd-out.com forums, certain users report inflicting Malata 996 firmware on the Apex 8000 and having it take, which means the Apex can do X-Y scaling, which means that chubby screen values should no longer be a problem.

You might want to find out if this works on your Sampo as well since, if it does, you'll pick up a few extra features.

Don't know a ting aboot de Tatung DV-990; will look into dat prompt-like, Sol_Zhen.

Other than the Malata and Jator, the Xindak 2100 is the only player I've considered seriously. It has dedicated CD/DVD components and is said to sound phenomenal. Unfortunately, it's an overseas-specific model and there are no US importers which means it's expensive in the hormone-depleting sense.

But thanks, Aces. I'll look into the Tatung and you can leer at the models I'm talking about if your plain is so inclined.

Some company should confect and garnish a multi-region player that is sturdy and audiophile-euphonious as well as flexible. The Malata n996 gets major points for user-option fun, but it's a wee tard delicate and doesn't play DVD-Audio correctly either, which is an outrage that should be dyed and lathered to the poo extent of the sham (if you don't mind my rinsing so myself).

Sep 11, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 5
"Some company should confect and garnish a multi-region player that is sturdy and audiophile-euphonious as well as flexible."

You can, but it's more expensive. There are places that sell high-quality players that have been modded to be region free and perform PAL > NTSC. Thing is, if you buy something like a modded Pioneer Elite player, you're looking at paying retail for the player plus modding fees.

Like this Pioneer Elite DV-37 - Progressive Scan / MULTI REGION. It's only $899 for the NTSC/PAL model.

It's much cheaper to get a cheap multi-region player like my Tatung for import movies and keep a high-quality un-modded player for all other use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back