japanese sl-ct790
Jun 18, 2002 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

puck

100+ Head-Fier
i just got a panasonic sl-ct790 (japanese domestic with op.out/out). the headphone out is not all that great but the out sounds pretty good. i also have the 460 which i think sounds about the same as the 470/570. the japanese 790 sounds very similar but seems to be just a little bit brighter from the out. the out does have 10 second uncompressed antiskip but unlike the previous models, the eq funtions are turned off when using it. this isn't really a problem, but sometimes its nice to be able to change the eq settings. i don't really like sony much and since no-one else had this player, i took a chance on it. i'm not unhappy with it but i'm also not super excited about it. i think that, as has been said many times here, most of the new players out now just aren't all that exciting.

Jun 18, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 29
You lucky b@$#@%&! Good for you. You Asians (and possibly Europeans, as well) get the GOOD version of the SL-CT790, while we Americans and Canadians get the CRAPTACULAR overpriced version (with no line out at all whatsoever, and an anti-skip circuitry that's stuck in the compressed mode all the time with no way whatsoever of turning the compression off).

Jun 18, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 29
Well - if you get fed up of it, it does make a nice beer mat.

Jun 18, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 29
if you get fed up with it, i will give you $100CAN for it....no joke serious if you dont want it i will buy it...but $100CAN is worth like 1 yen....

hey does 1 yen even buy you something? can you get like one tiny piece of candy for 1 yen?

Jun 18, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 29
i dont know how much a singapore dollar is worth....but i already think it is out of my price range...
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 29
SGD$1 = CAN$1.15 I think...

Jun 19, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 29
Hi there...
So I would like to ask:
Is this the "audiophile CD player" that some of them had said?

I mean, comparing this to the 780 asia version, which one would be better?

Thanks.

Jun 19, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 29
Well..
Check this out
www.bluetin.com

they are cheaper in every sense of the word, and they are based in singapore... yipee!!
I've bought my 888s from them, and saved some money self collecting it.

Panasonic ct790SG (Singapore local set) US$136...

If anyone wants me to get it for him, I'll gladly do..
biggrin.gif

I need to audition this set before buying too..
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 29
The Asian version of this player is available in some of the grey market shops in NY.When I was there I saw it in a least three stores around Times Square.The price was usually around $150.00.Keep in mind these players have no US warranty.i have heard no no news about the supposed "audiophile" player but i'm not the only one who has heard of it.There was mention of a new line of Panasonic players in the latest issue of T3 including players with lossless compression and higher sampling and bit rates.I know nothing else.The emails I get from them have been the exact same babble I have been getting since January.

Jun 20, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
True, but everyone's still jelous.
smily_headphones1.gif

Including me!

Is the singapore model the same as the japanese model? I was looking at the 790J online.

Spoke to the guy before I think it should be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back