Japanese Head Amp?
Nov 18, 2002 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

daffa

Head-Fier
So far in this forum I can only find headphone amps made in US or Europe (plus one from Hong Kong). Just curious whether there are Japanese manufacturers of headphone amp and how good they are compared to their US/Europearn peers in sound quality. Or perhaps Japanese headphones are made locally, in Japan, for listening without any head amp or for portable use?

Any info on this?
BEst
DJ

Nov 18, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 14
Audio Technica makes some amps. Their cheap ones don't sound so hot, I hear, and I can't remember anyone posting any thoughts on their high-end ones. They have one designed to go with the ATH-W2002 that available at Audio Cubes. All the Stax units come with amps, but of course those aren't good for dynamic headphones. There are probably more. ...

If you're just looking for stuff on your side of the world, not necessiarly Japanese, there are also some Hong Kong manufacturers. Antique Sound Labs comes to mind.

kerely

Nov 18, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
If you're just looking for stuff on your side of the world, not necessiarly Japanese, there are also some Hong Kong manufacturers. Antique Sound Labs comes to mind.

When I visited Hong Kong earlier this year, I tried to buy an MG head from ASL, but I was told they don't sell it domestically. I'm not sure, but there's a possibility that it's easier to get an ASL amp in USA than in Asia... though it's from a Hong Kong company....

Nov 18, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 14
It's possible that Divergent has exclusive distribution rights worldwide. Odd, but possible.

Nov 18, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 14
The SAEC HP-2000:

P_hp2000.jpg

The Yamamoto Soundcraft HA-01 (crappy pic, sorry):

ann_yamamoto_ha01.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 14
Isn't the CEC HD-51 made in Japan, too? By the way, I've just read that it's officially available in Germany now - for 670 Euro. Wasn't it like US$ 300 in Japan? It's almost the same pricing problem with Grado over here, though...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 14
vertigo-1,
have you heard either of those amps? i saw them the other day but they were all locked away behind glass and i was wondering if they are any good. the c.e.c. also.

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 14
How is the sound of CEC? Hopefully good for 600 Euros. BTW, has anybody here ever purchased the complete Audio Technica Combo (W2002 incl. the amp)? Does the headphone and the amp really match each other?

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #13 of 14
puck, nope, never heard either one. Probably never will either since my chances of visiting Japan are nil. I pulled that info off Headwize.

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #14 of 14
How is the sound of CEC? Hopefully good for 600 Euros. BTW, has anybody here ever purchased the complete Audio Technica Combo (W2002 incl. the amp)? Does the headphone and the amp really match each other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back