Japan is the headphone paradise, and here's the proof
Aug 14, 2011 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 199

jjmai

1000+ Head-Fier
I got a chance to visit Japan and checked out some electronics shops.  Almost every model (other than the really expensive ones) has display model for you to demo.  Here are some pictures from a Bic Camera store (famous big chain):

At this Yodobashi store (another big chain), there were probably 10 isles dedicated to headphones and IEMs.  This is just about 1/3 of the area:

Even smaller stores has a lot of headphones on the wall for you to try.  This particular high-end audio equipment shop had a few Stax on the wall:

What also surprised me was the amount of free catalogs available, even from several American brands.  I couldn't afford headphones with the expensive exchange rate, so I picked up a few catalogs to satiate my appetite.  Wish they have these in big chain US stores.  (Btw, one thing I hate about these catalogs is that a lot of items are listed as open price, so you can't get an idea what class each one is at by just looking at the catalogs.)

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 199
Plentiful yet pricey on some models.

Sennheiser HD800 at 160,000Y means it sells for $2078USD using today's exchange rate.

Good price on the Sony XB-1000 though.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 199
This doesn't surprise me even at the slightest..
Japan is a country that treats consumers and generally it's citizens with respect and they provide excellent services..
Sometimes i feel that they are 100 years ahead from the rest of us..
I had the pleasure to visit Japan some years ago and i felt like i was in another world..

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 199

Quote:
Plentiful yet pricey on some models.

Sennheiser HD800 at 160,000Y means it sells for $2078USD using today's exchange rate.

Good price on the Sony XB-1000 though.

Yeah, price is a different thing.  Imports brands are especially expensive.  Some Comply foam tips could cost around US$20.
Bic and Yodobashi are big chains that usually sell around MSRP, while online sites (such as amazon.jp) are usually somewhat cheaper.  You can also haggle a little at the smaller shops.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 199
I love looking at those pics.. looks like a fun place! So want to go to Japan .. there's no where in Australia like that. Can't try much here other than the AudioTechnica store in the city of sydney and the apple stores.

I was also surprised that hong kong is like that too ... went there last holidays and there are quite a few shops where you can try them to your heart's content. I went to a store in mongkok (hong kong) that had the best customer service and they will take a bunch of headphones that you choose and give you a big table and you can bring your portable amp or what ever and just try them as long as you want. They also had a very wide range to choose from. Will be going at the end of the year again .. will definitely try to get some pictures.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 199
Singapore. I've never been to Australia (._.) but my friends say the Australians they stayed with are pretty cool and friendly people.
I play some online games and Aussies are definitely more friendly than the Americans 
biggrin.gif
 On the other hand, the media's always talking about how Singaporeans can be more courteous and upgrade our service and stuff. There was even a movement a few years back to encourage people to be more polite lol; National Courtesy Campaign. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 199

Quote:
Yeah, price is a different thing.  Imports brands are especially expensive.  Some Comply foam tips could cost around US$20.
Bic and Yodobashi are big chains that usually sell around MSRP, while online sites (such as amazon.jp) are usually somewhat cheaper.  You can also haggle a little at the smaller shops.

Did you get catch any prices for any STAX models?

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #12 of 199

Quote:
Singapore. I've never been to Australia (._.) but my friends say the Australians they stayed with are pretty cool and friendly people.
I play some online games and Aussies are definitely more friendly than the Americans 
biggrin.gif
 On the other hand, the media's always talking about how Singaporeans can be more courteous and upgrade our service and stuff. There was even a movement a few years back to encourage people to be more polite lol; National Courtesy Campaign. 

American gamers are pretty bleh.

It's nice you had a movement encouraging people to be more polite, I think that underlines my point ^^

In Asia I think a customer has a value, in the west a customer is just a person in a shop, unless you interact with a manager or shop-keeper.

The U.S. has much better customer service than Australia though, because they have low minimum-wage and have to survive on tips.
frown.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #13 of 199
I really miss the good ol' days when Singapore had the best duty free at the airport for intercontinental travellers. Amsterdam was a close second back in the 90's.

Saw my first Sony minidisc man in Singapore back in the day. Came out in Australia much later and it was much more expensive
through Sony AUS.

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #14 of 199
Yeah I was at Singapore airport myself recently, I got to demo the EX600 and EX1000 and lots of other stuff there, but they were selling the EX600 for around $225 USD and it costs $133 USD on amazon.com so I couldn't justify buying it there even though I wanted to because the lady that let me demo it was so nice. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back