January 30th: Arizona Head-Fi Meet Q1 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #139 of 149
The meet had a great turnout. I ended up spending more time talking to people than I did listening to the headphones this time. It was a nice change of pace and the time flew!

A few brief equipment notes/highlights:

@funch - He always brings excellent equipment - this time was no exception. I was able to listen to the Yggdrasil (being fed from the Uptone Regen with power supply) - ECP Torpedo 3 (modded) - HD800 (Anax 2.0) with custom digital EQ settings.  I was unfamiliar with the source playlist, but that didn't change the fact that everything that came out of this system sounded great. 

@cskippy - Brought his personally modded HiFiMan HE-6 that was connected to a Gungir Multi-Bit fed by the Wyrd and ending up coming out of a Cavalli Liquid Carbon. This was my first time hearing every piece in that chain - so it was hard for me to to compare it to anything else. He has tuned his HE-6 to her personal liking and it seems to align with my general preferences as well. Give it a listen if you have a chance! He also brought out his DIY headphone measurement setup which made for a lot of fun and conversation. Hope to see cskippy at future meets with this setup again!

@Mr.Sneis - broke out his Grado HP-2 - I'm a big fan of the Joseph Grado sound - nuff said. They are certainly special, but ultimately don't completely steal my heart from the HD800 for my overall top spot in the dynamic driver headphone world.

@Garage1217 - Big thanks for coming out and showing off all your products! Excellent collection of headphones to try out on every amp. I wanted to hear the MassDrop TH-X00 and this was the table to do it. They sounded good, but I felt that it was still a little too artificial in the treble. Something that would be exciting at first, but would ultimately become fatiguing for me.

@Muinarc - brought out his new Light Harmonics Vi DAC and HiFiMan HE-560. I am still waiting on my Vi DAC to show up, so I wanted to check it out in person. It looks great in person! 

@mrspeakers - loaned us an Ether.  I feel like I need a lot more time with these. They left me a little bit confused. I was expecting to hear something a little bit different based on some of the impressions I've read on Head-Fi. I won't comment on them until I get a chance to listen to them for an extended period on my own equipment.

I'm not too sure who brought the HiFiMan HE-X, but thank you!  It reminds me of an upgraded HE-400i. For the asking price - I completely do not recommend it on value alone. It sounds good, but there are much better choices at this price.

Thanks for everyone that made it out from all across the state - I had a great day and look forward to the next meet!

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #140 of 149
Sorry I am a bit late to the thread. I have been sidetracked by my new toy that came in the mail as soon as I came home from the meet.

(for anyone OCD about the headphones on the amp it runs coolish to the touch and I mostly wanted them in my cheesy shot :p)

This is the Gustard H10 that I promised to bring to the meet, but arrived too late. The Ether is not mine sadly :frowning2:. I was permitted to borrow them for a day before we had to send them back since I was bummed about not being able to try out my amp at meet. I can try to do a full review of it or you all can just form your own impressions at the next meet :D. It is basicly a clone of the v200, but with a separate power supply for both channels.

My favorite cans at the meet I got to try for the first time were the TH600, he560,and the B&O H6. I am so glad we had the "Bannana Stand Land". All the portable over ears I have been wanting to try were there :). (Sorry DemonFox, but the thx00 just didn't tickle my fancy :p)

The Vi Dac was so beautiful!!!

I am convinced now that I need a Polaris or Sunrise III in my life alongside my Gustard after I upgrade my dac.

Funch,
I will be putting off the cable until I can get my new dac and portable cans.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE GREAT ADVENTURE

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #141 of 149
I missed announcement of this year's meet, and I had arrived so late at the 2015 meetup that I didn't get to listen to that much. It really whet my appetite as I'm wanting to do a high-end hi-res headphones-only rig and firmly believe in trying gear in meatspace. Reviews are helpful to an extent, but nothing beats actual listening.

How do I stay abreast of any more meetups this year or next year? I was hoping to attend this year (and beyond). Is there a list for potential attendees or is it just a matter of monitoring head-fi forums?

Thanks, and see you head-fiers next time!

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #142 of 149
I missed announcement of this year's meet, and I had arrived so late at the 2015 meetup that I didn't get to listen to that much. It really whet my appetite as I'm wanting to do a high-end hi-res headphones-only rig and firmly believe in trying gear in meatspace. Reviews are helpful to an extent, but nothing beats actual listening.

How do I stay abreast of any more meetups this year or next year? I was hoping to attend this year (and beyond). Is there a list for potential attendees or is it just a matter of monitoring head-fi forums?

Thanks, and see you head-fiers next time!

Hello, I'm sorry you missed this last meet! Generally, we will post a link to the new meet threads in the previous meet thread, so by simply subscribing here you should be guided right to the information once it's up! That is, assuming my brain functions correctly, hah.

Stay tuned, we are aiming for September with regards to the next meet. Looking forward to it!

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #143 of 149
If anyone is up for a short drive
wink_face.gif
, we are having our first New Mexico meet May 7 in Albuquerque!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803491/albuquerque-new-mexico-meet-is-on-may-7-2016

May 9, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #144 of 149
I completely forgot to post these!  Measurements from the meet!  Let's do a summer one.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskyWoqBL

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #145 of 149
I am back in town so I am a go. Just hope I don't get tired of the heat soon.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #146 of 149
All of a sudden I'm feeling protective over my Grado GS2000e and my Campfire Audio Andromeda!! Hahahahaha I truly enjoyed the last meet we had. There just wasn't enough time to really listen to everything I wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back