January 30th: Arizona Head-Fi Meet Q1 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #46 of 149
If anyone is interested, I can bring my listening chair to the meet. I mounted a couple of tactile transducers (bass shakers) to it to enhance the headphone listening experience. It's a work in progress so it's not much to look at, but it is a fun experience especially if you like to feel the music like I do. Just let me know if anyone wants to give it a try and I'll bring it with me.

I'm interested as well! I've tried using a subwoofer to accent open headphones, but it was an acoustical disaster. :p

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #47 of 149
I'm interested as well! I've tried using a subwoofer to accent open headphones, but it was an acoustical disaster.
tongue.gif

I would definitely be interested! It would be cool to try out a Sub Pac alternative!

OK, consider it brought. My setup is not as portable as a Sub Pac, but it's got a lot more kick to it. 2 Ibeams and a 200W plate amp on a small recliner. It's actually a bit overkill...just the way I like it.

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #48 of 149
OK, consider it brought. My setup is not as portable as a Sub Pac, but it's got a lot more kick to it. 2 Ibeams and a 200W plate amp on a small recliner. It's actually a bit overkill...just the way I like it.

"If it's worth doing... " :D

No experience is more peculiar than listening to Drum N Bass on a big tower system with three perfectly tuned subs, only to discover directly after that your previously well-extended planar cans don't rumble all that much.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #50 of 149
"If it's worth doing... "
biggrin.gif

No experience is more peculiar than listening to Drum N Bass on a big tower system with three perfectly tuned subs, only to discover directly after that your previously well-extended planar cans don't rumble all that much.

I know what you mean. I recently bought a pair of HE-400i's and quickly realized they needed a bit more "boom" to keep up with my car's sound system. 2 butt shakers and a couple hundred watts later...problem solved.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #51 of 149

Yep! I love 99% of the sound from headphones, but I've always missed the big hit that subwoofers can provide. I've never seen a decent compromise, so I'm excited to try ilmshab's chair.

I know what you mean. I recently bought a pair of HE-400i's and quickly realized they needed a bit more "boom" to keep up with my car's sound system. 2 butt shakers and a couple hundred watts later...problem solved.

How are the HE400i's?

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #52 of 149
Yeah, you never can feel it in your butt when you're wearing headphones lol.

I'll try to make it on the 30th. My HE-400i are showing up next week and would love to hear some of the other cans out there. I'm new to the head Fi world, having always put money in speakers previously.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #53 of 149
Yep! I love 99% of the sound from headphones, but I've always missed the big hit that subwoofers can provide. I've never seen a decent compromise, so I'm excited to try ilmshab's chair.
How are the HE400i's?

I'm enjoying the HE-400i, but it was apparent as soon as I started listening to them on my laptop and phone that they would require an amplifier. With the volume maxed out, they are about 80% there. I tried a Yamaha AV receiver, but did not care fore the sound even though it got plenty loud. I checked the specs and the output impedance at the headphone jack is 560Ω which would result in a damping factor of 0.06 for a 35Ω headphone. I can't wait to hear what they sound like on an amp that was designed for headphones. I'm hoping to try them out on as many DAC/Amps at the meet as I can if no one minds.

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #55 of 149
I'm enjoying the HE-400i, but it was apparent as soon as I started listening to them on my laptop and phone that they would require an amplifier. With the volume maxed out, they are about 80% there. I tried a Yamaha AV receiver, but did not care fore the sound even though it got plenty loud. I checked the specs and the output impedance at the headphone jack is 560Ω which would result in a damping factor of 0.06 for a 35Ω headphone. I can't wait to hear what they sound like on an amp that was designed for headphones. I'm hoping to try them out on as many DAC/Amps at the meet as I can if no one minds.

Garage 1217 will have their full lineup of amps at the meet. They sound awesome and they're very affordable.

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #59 of 149
This is a great reminder. What would be a flexible format for everyone? HDD, Thumb drive, CDs?

Flash drive or external HDD, formatted as FAT or NTFS, would be the most widely compatible. I believe MacOS, despite lacking full support, can still read files from NTFS drives. FAT32/most FAT64 work with everything, though.

CDs are more cumbersome to move around from station to station, as far as actually getting to the music. That is unless the station had a CD player already.

Then of course there's portable music players (and SD cards). Ah! We should be sure to bring 3.5mm-to-stereo-RCA cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back