Janos Starker, 1924-2013
Apr 29, 2013 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Pudu

Headphoneus Supremus
Janos Starker, A Master Of The Cello, Dies At 88 (from NPR)

Cellist Janos Starker has died at 88, ending a life and career that saw him renowned for his skills as a soloist, his prodigious work with orchestras, and his commitment to teaching. Starker was born in Budapest in 1924; his path to becoming an international star included surviving life in a Nazi labor camp.

Prolific as well as talented, Starker's recording career spanned more than 50 years. His discography numbers more than 165 recordings. Among his most acclaimed discs are the Bach cello suites and the Dvořák concerto, both recorded for Mercury Living Presence, and the 1992 Grammy Award winning recording of the Bach suites for RCA.

"It is part of our lives in a way that we cannot wake up in the morning and go through life without music and without having this essential aspect of it, that music means just as much as eating and drinking or living," - Janos Starker .

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/ZvOEwGlwgJo[/VIDEO]

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 3
A sadness! Such strong clear playing on his Bach Suites discs, you can hear his fingers impacting the fingerboard at times, and for me still the standard for these pieces. And his recording of the Kodaly solo Sonata...

May 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
A sadness! Such strong clear playing on his Bach Suites discs, you can hear his fingers impacting the fingerboard at times, and for me still the standard for these pieces. And his recording of the Kodaly solo Sonata...

Amen! His cello suites are my go-to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back