James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 13, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #227 of 428
Well, I gotta say thanks for even considering this! Giving people a chance to own IEM's for free is great! Anyways, I don't really know what to post so here goes what I think I am supposed to post? And hopefully I will have a chance at winning these!

Here are some searched and unsearched thoughts...

ATH-CKM70- Never found a review on the net, so don't know a thing about them..

ATH-CK100- Coming from my basic knowledge of these, they have just little bass. Although the price tag is pretty high... I hear once burned in, they do a good job of re-producing music. (would love to try though!). EDIT: I was reading up on more reviews, and actually would love to try these, just because I had a pair of westone 3's and after reading This review it is clear to me that once 100+ hours of burn in time people start to like them a lot better. Plus the bass quantity is greater.

Atrio M5's- Now, I have never heard of these, so I did some more research, and this is what I found on these--They have different drivers ones found in hearing devices. The bass response is good, the midrange is slightly recessed, and the treble is slightly rolled off.. This info via This this review

Cyclone PR1 Pro- Provided This review, it seems to sum these up that the IEM's are nice and balanced, a nice and large soundstage, and everywhere in-between there they deliver the right amount of sound. Here is where I found the review on them.

And the FX500+PR2 taken directly from you quoted! That is searching :wink:

Quote:
james444 said:
Stacey Kent - Ice Hotel (Female Vocal Jazz):
pr2:
Prominent bass, controlled but too strong for this delicate song. Neutral mids, not recessed but slightly coldish. Highs are ok but have a slight hint of sibilance. Good soundstage.
fx500:
Too prominent bass for my liking, soft and a little boomy. Mids are more recessed compared to the pr2, but warmer. Highs are more extended, but also more sibilant. Wide soundstage. Overall more silky and musical than the pr2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444

Vladimir Ashkenazy - Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.2, last movement (Classical Orchestra)
pr2:
Very neutral presentation, maybe a bit too bassy. Fast and accurate rendering of piano. Airy with good soundstage. Highs also good, but not as refined as the best IEMs. Very good and controlled in handling dynamics.
fx500:
Musical and smooth with prominent and soft bass. Piano rendering is more romantic than with the pr2. Highs are excellent and detailed, but can get a bit shrill in loud passages. Airy with ample soundstage.

Markus Schulz - Mainstage / I am (Trance, kudos to shigzeo!)
pr2:
Nice and controlled low bass rumble on „Mainstage“, but less massive than the m5. Very impressive balance on „I am“ with controlled pounding bass that does not affect the neutral mids and highs. Bass is out of this world when it comes in like a hammer at 4:20. Spacey feeling, excellent 3D imaging.
fx500:
Slightly stronger but less controlled low bass rumble than with the pr2. Very good highs for trance. Vocals are slightly recessed, which makes the pounding bass a bit too much in comparison. Nice airy and spacey 3D feel.

Indigo Girls - Digging for Your Dream (Folk / Rock)
pr2:
Bass a bit too strong for an acoustic song. Very neutral mids, not recessed, but I'd prefer a warmer touch with this genre. Highs are slightly grainy. Not the best phone for acoustic Folk / Rock.
fx500:
Bass is a bit too strong compared to the mids. Mids and highs are very natural sounding with slightly recessed voices but still acceptable. Overall a good phone for this genre, especially rendering acoustic instruments, but I would have preferred more forward vocals.

TV on the Radio - Golden Age / Family Tree (Indie, Electro, Post Punk)
pr2:
Dry and exact bass with great authority (almost feels „amped“). Mids are neutral with good presence in vocals and not affected by strong bass. Sufficient highs, but slightly missing detail (cymbals are more realistic on fx500 and ie8). Ample soundstage, overall a very good phone for the song.
fx500:
Strong bass, softer and a tad less exact than the pr2’s, but still very good. Laid back vocals. Good presence in highs (great cymbals!). Wide soundstage, also a very good phone for this song.

Pendulum - Propane Nightmares (Drum ’n’ Bass)
pr2:
This is the kind of song these phones feel at home with. Bass is awesome, dry and hard hitting. Good presence in vocals that remain almost magically unaffected and relaxed. A bit grainy highs, but who cares with this kind of song.
fx500:
IMO the fx500 are clearly inferior to the pr2 with this song. Very strong but boomy bass. Vocals sound annoyingly recessed, highs are too sharp, overall the fx500 have a badly equalized feel with this song.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #228 of 428
simply put, i've always had an eye on the beautiful ck100, but could never justify the price stateside or even otherwise (i went to taiwan to find their price still in the USD $450 range) and as for the fx500, have always really wanted to see what all the fuss about the natural timbre of the wooden dynamic is like. thanks for giving us all this great opportunity!

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #229 of 428
My pair of R02Pro's broke and I'd love to have another pair of IEM's that will do the bass properly in the dubstep tracks I listen to. I've heard the M5's are bass machines nd are great with guitars as well, which is a perfect compliment to my MS-1000i's which are excellent for Jazz and acoustic. Good luck to all the rest of you posting in this thread!

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #230 of 428
This is really cool of you!

I'd love to hear any of these earphones. I'm a headfi nut on a budget, buying and upgrading/trading from/to ER6i, PFE, IE7, Triplie.fi, IE8, W3, W2, UM3X, and soon back to IE8. I've been able to buy thriftily enough to not really spend very much money in all this trading, but I'm pretty much at my last purchase, so...

All of these headphones would be awesome to listen to! Naturally, I'd love to hear the CK100 since its a triple driver; I have a lot of love for the UM3X, but the Ck100 seems to be a much more colored earphones, w/ sparkly highs and lots of detail; I still miss the sparkler of the ER6i and to a lesser extent the PFE. The FX500 look really interesting since I really enjoyed the IE8 (perhaps more than any other iem so far) so it would be interesting to hear what they do with the bass; but the high's look intriguing as well and it sounds like it has a sound stage (one of the deficiencies of my current UM3X). I keep trying to get my music-obsessed friends into better earphones, so I'd love to hear the Cyclone PR1; the sound stage and detail sound promising on this one, too! Well there's a few thoughts.

I'd appreciate a listen! Any time you can enjoy new earphones in this expensive hobby is a real treat!

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #232 of 428
This is such a generous gesture James to mark your sixth anniversary at Head-Fi. I wonder if I'll still be here in six years? I should have been banned around 30 times by that time if I am. The ATH-CK100 holds a certain fascination for me. It is a beautiful earphone to behold with a unique sound signature by all accounts. It along with the CK10 were two Audio-Technica phones that I considered purchasing but decided against. I wasn't prepared to take the risk of buying a very expensive earphone to find that I loved its appearance but loathed its sound. Still, I continue to wonder about this sleek Japanese designed and built metal transducer and how it actually sounds, and now I have an opportunity along with hundreds of others to acquire one for free. How can I refuse? Thanks again James, and wish me luck.

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #233 of 428
lol wow i almost missed this thread. cool idea James.

personally i would like to try either the JVC FX500 or the atrio M5s, as both of them are supposed to be for the basshead. i have tried a good range of earphones, in search of that one pair that satisfies my bass needs. personally i think i have found them already (MTP Coppers) but it would be fun if i were proven wrong with either of these earphones.

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #235 of 428
Hi James

Wow i never thought some one would give away their ck100 (which is in my wtb list :D ) very generous. I think is should be set as a tradition :D. What's interest me is CK100 use one dedicated driver for bass. And i never heard anything like dedicated driver bass, since all audiophile emphasize on hi and mid (cmiw). So this CK100 really curious me. Thanks

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #236 of 428
Personally, I would like to try out the ath-ck100, which has a triple driver configuration housed in a small titanium housing. It seems to be a great IEM which sounds and looks good, squeezing great sound into a tiny housing. My triple fi 10 sticks out too much and tends to give me sores in my ears whenever I fall asleep in those.
The JVC FX500 also seems quite interesting, with its wooden housing.

Your generosity would be much appreciated.

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #237 of 428
Woah ! Someone's really generous on head-fi. First of all congrats on your 6th year anniversary.  I don't have much idea about the IEMs  you are giving away so won't write anything about them . I am not even sure if any of them are better than the small collection I already have .

The only reason I would want to try any of the IEMs in your give away is for the curiosity of how an Audio Technica , Atrio or the Cyclones sound as you can see I dont own IEMs from any of the brands you are giving away.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #238 of 428
If I win i would be pretty happy!

Because yesterday I did step on my friends earbuds by mistake. So I think that it would be a fair deal if I gave him one of theese good earbuds if I won, so he don't have to buy new ones because I broke them :)

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #239 of 428

Quote:
If I win i would be pretty happy!

Because yesterday I did step on my friends earbuds by mistake. So I think that it would be a fair deal if I gave him one of theese good earbuds if I won, so he don't have to buy new ones because I broke them :)

So if you won the CK100, you'd give him that? I'd just buy him a $50 pair and keep the CK100s personally
tongue.gif
For what you save in winning, you can more than afford $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back