James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #331 of 428
I would like the fx-500s..very generous post.

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #335 of 428
wink_face.gif

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #336 of 428
Dear James,

Unlike some others, i am not picky. I do have my preferences though, it's only natural.

I wouldn't say no to the PR2 for example, it offers excellent bass and soundstage for its price, but i would prefer the more balanced , softer PR1.

Now, as for the CK100, well i like my vocals and i like my midrange and my smooth presentation. You can't say no to such an expensive iem anyway :p.

As for the Atrios, i would say you can keep them but i am not stingy like that. Besides, you know what they say about bass, the more the merrier, who cares about detail anyway. 

Jokes aside, i have rarely seen such generosity to strangers before in my life. You sir are commendable!

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #338 of 428
This is Extraordinary! So Good IEM's for Giveaway, Fantastic!
I heard none of them.
I am really curious how they sound with DNB (neurofunk & techstep to be precise). The
only IEM's that I have tried for this genre was Radius DDM, but they were disappointing
to me, not bad, but making this type of music sound dull. Hope I can get Cyclone PR2
one day, as you recommended them for DNB.

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #341 of 428
I admit I'm cheeky, but I registered especially for this competition and promise to do a full review if I win one. Great competition - makes my summer PhD writing slightly more exciting...

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #342 of 428
My 2 cents:

JVC FX500 - The wood IEMs that have become so popular that counterfeits are now popping up.
Cyclone PR2 and Cyclone PR1 Pro - Both by Gyratech, a brand I'm not familiar with.
Atrio M5 - Future Sonics universal IEM.  Unlike other custom IEM makers, they use dynamic drivers, not armatures.
ATH-CK100 - The pair everyone wants.  Audio-Technica claims these are the first triple armature IEMs ever made.
ATH-CKM70 - Another pair of Audio-Technicas.  They have a wide frequency response and low impedance, making them ideal for portable players.

With the possible exception of the Gyratechs, these are excellent phones.  Whoever gets them should consider themselves very lucky.  Hopefully, one of those people will be me!

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #344 of 428
According to the true random number generator at http://www.random.org/ the first winner's post number is...

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

The winner's post number is #120 and my congratulations go to WillHughes!
beerchug.gif

Please take your pick out of these IEMs and PM me with your contact details!
JVC FX500
Cyclone PR2
Cyclone PR1 Pro
Atrio M5
ATH-CK100
ATH-CKM70
(Ok, from reading your winning post you already seem to have a slight preference, but I have to ask anyway
wink.gif
)

Quote:
WillHughes said:

Wow, what a great giveaway and opportunity James, thanks!

I have to admit, like most other people in the thread the CK100 stands out the most to me mainly because of how well rated they are. From what I have read on them "wow" is probably the right word to use in summing them up. Speed, detail and seperation is something I personally love and the CK100s apparently have those three characteristics in spades.

The sound signature, as described by Joker in his massive IEM compared thread, is exactly what I love. MIDS! Very forward mid-range and fast bass sounds almost too good to be true in what is already a very nice sounding package, it just seems to me that the CK100 is everything I could want in a pair of IEMs.If that wasn't already enough for me, the CK100s preserve their sound sig at low level volume which is something really nice as I love to go to sleep listening to my music, retaining that great sound in this instance is yep... just wow.

I'm simply drooling at the chance to hear these beauties, I would love to have them and they blow away everything else in terms of quality. Head-and-shoulders above the competition, really. Being one of the best IEMs in the world, how could I not want to hear them?

I should probably put down a second preference, without trying to sound greedy but there is so many people that are after the CK100s that chances are slim and if I did get chosen and the CK100s were gone, how would you know!?!

Now not to say that I wouldn't be happy with any of these IEMs because from my general reading over time, I found you had quite a mix of sound here. The JVC FX500 probably being the most bassy is one that stands out next for me and also made out of wood? Seems like a very interesting mix and would love to hear some wood IEMs. Their close competitors being the M5 are said to have large bass as well but with better isolation from outside noise. I don't find that a problem for my listening purposes in my quiet little environment here and so the choice comes down to which has the better sound. The FX500s are said to be cleaner and their soundstage much better than the M5 straight up and so really, the FX500 blows away the M5 as my second preference.

Next up is the CKM70 vs FX500. Finding reviews of the CKM70 was tricky and although most reviews tended to say that they had great sound, I doubted whether those people had much experience with IEMs of high quality. That goes without saying that the CKM70 are quite nice and are a lot more balanced than the FX500. Most likely the difference in sound here is going to be that the FX500's bass will over-power and muddy the sound a bit when compared to the CKM70 which will end up sounding more analytical, something that I have noticed the ATH signature to be. Whilst not exactly having too many sound-impressions to put between the two, I think I will still have to keep the FX500 as my second preference in this battle, out of personal interest, don't hate me!
biggrin.gif

I must admit that I have not heard much about the two Cyclones and they tweak my interest the least out of everything else, perhaps only because I haven't read about either of them! The PR1 Pros have a very nice soundstage according to Joker and they do have quite good sound relative to price but I think personally they couldn't trump the JVC FX500s or ATH-CKM70s at half price. Not exactly a scientific or reliable observation but I must share my logic!

For what its worth, congratulations on your 6 years here at head-fi. The forum has certainly impacted my life and no doubt you too fell into its evil clutches!
etysmile.gif
 I hope you can enjoy the following 6 years just as much!

Thank you and good luck to everyone else in the running

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back