James
Nov 5, 2002 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering if there are any James fans here. They never reached much popularity in the U.S., though I remember hearing Laid on the radio. They didn't even benefit for the mid-90s "British invasion" -- though I'm not sure why. They're certainly one of my favorite pop bands.

Nov 5, 2002 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 14
Ahhh.... "Seven" was one of my favorite albums in high school. It had some amazing instruments and sounds great on a lively system. "Laid," though not as great, was also very good.

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 14
Heh...irony. I sit here listening to my new cardas and I have James - Wah Wah playing. One of the best albums ever recorded in my mind. Eno is a genius and he takes James to new heights. I have every album by James. I love them, they are in my top 5 and rotate consistantly between the 1 and 2 spots, fighting always with U2. I think I love Wah Wah so much lately because it is more ambiant than the rest of their albums, although I really do cherish them all. My first experience with Tim's power vocals was back in '95 when I heard Tomorrow. I checked out the local shops and no one had a cd. I drove down to Montreal a few weeks later and bought Seven, then a few months later Laid. Since then I have worked hard to get them all, just recently acquiring Stutter and Gold Mother. Ah James.... and with Tim gone...what next?

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 14
I've got Laid in my case here at work, it's one of my all time favorite albums. Funny, I had heard them back in the late 80's and never really got into them.

Nov 5, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 14
My favorite album is "seven" which rocks a bit more vs "laid" If you are new get the excellent "best of james" which has great selection of 18 tracks. The sound quality is some of the best recorded rock music you can buy, this is as good as it gets.

Get these used cheap at half.com

Nov 5, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 14
I like DarkAngel's suggestion and might I add: James - Getting away with it - live! and James - The B sides.

With these three albums you will get a good amount of the joy. That live album is also the very last show James played as the James we all know and love. The last Tim Booth showing with James....

Nov 12, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 14
acs236:

I've been a James fan since their early stuff. (How many remember "Ya-ho" from '87?
wink.gif
) Laid is my favorite album, by far (I find it to be more consistent beginning to end than Seven), but I also love Wah Wah, even though it's a bit less accessible.

I agree with DA that the "Best Of" collection is a must-own.

P.S. Anyone else like the Trashcan Sinatras?

Nov 12, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 14
Laid is a great album, and probably still my favorite. I enjoyed Seven, but I certainly don't listen to it as much as I do some of the others. Their record label really didn't push them in the states -- at all.

Nov 12, 2002 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 14
Interesting no one mentions any albums after "laid" like:
-pleased to meet you

Many music critics call it their best, but I haven't kept up with them after "laid", and greatest hits CD stops at 1998 so no material from this CD.

Who can give us a report on James "swan song" final CD?

Nov 12, 2002 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 14
Ah...I can shed some light on the matter as I have all their albums. For me, Pleased to Meet you is much better than Laid. For me...I think the ranking goes something like:

Wah Wah (due to my obsession with Eno and ambiant sound)>Millionaires (Never officially released in North America, this bad boy cost me $30)>Pleased to Meet You>Laid>Seven>Gold Mother also known released as James with a different track order)>Whiplash>Stutter>One Man Clapping>Stripmine

I feel their sound fully matured with Pleased to Meet you, and is peaked too late as Tim has left. Millionaires has more songs that I enjoy, even though the complexity of their writing really is better on their final album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back