Jake Shimabukuro Concert
Mar 6, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #16 of 23
I think all of Jake's cds are pretty good, hard for me to choose the one best one as all of them contains some pretty awesome tracks. Check out Jake's website as there are sound clips from all of his cds you can listen to:

http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/english/top.html

Also check out the following link to a website that has a audio player at the bottom right that contains the track Ehime Maru (the track you hear playing upon entering that site) that was composed by Jake in 2001 during his plane ride to Japan for a tour. Following the fatal collision between a U.S. submarine (USS Greeneville) and a Japanese fishing training vessel (Ehime Maru) operated by a Japanese high school in Hawaiian waters on February 9, 2001, Jake composed Ehime Maru to honor the nine victims who lost their lives at sea and their families. Proceeds from that single release cd (now out of print) were donated to a fund benefiting the families. To me it's a moving track and one seems to feel the sense of tragedy of what had happened on that day to the Ehime Maru crew members:

http://www.angelfire.com/alt/take/

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #17 of 23
Yeah My friends play alot of his tunes but he mainly uses the ukelele as his weapon of choice.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #18 of 23
That really was a terrible tragedy, they just had the five year memorial last month right? On a happier note, I love Jake's music, my favorite was Happy 'Ukulele from back when he was with Pure Heart.

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #19 of 23
WOW... no make that *****ING WOW because WOW doesn't do it. I saw Jake Shimabukuro live tonight at CODA 34 in NYC. He is the real deal. If he plays anywhere near you, you've gotta see him live. I'd say on 30% or more of the material, I got frissons like no tomorrow while he played. He's got the delicacy of Segovia, the boldness of a Sabica or Montoya, and the ease and virtuosity of Hendrix. And he's a really nice guy on top of it. I was standing on the left side near the stage. He came down the stairs to go onstage and greeted me with a cheery smile and a handshake to start. He mentioned his uncredited vid that appeared on the Web and how he felt odd being "next" to some of the vids at the various sites that were hosting the vid of him in Central Park. I told him that I'd heard about him only after my friend Don Kerr sent me a link to that very vid and how my friend Wes had done some research and found out his name after I passed on the link. After the first set he inscribed two CDs I bought (unfortunately, no solo recordings yet, but soon.) After the show, I spoke to him about a half hour about his music, his ukelele (ooh-koo-lay-lay = fleas jumping, describing the fingers on the small fretboard) and his electronic gear (virtues of using an active or passive preamp - more natural wood tone with passive, but he felt not many people would notice except him or someone like me.) He posed for some photos, thanked me for supporting him, and gave me a warm hug goodbye. It makes me hopeful when someone seems so genuinely nice - I feel a little less cynical. I kept wishing a friend was there to share the experience so we could have matching jaws dropping. He did this cover of 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' that had such a delicate, nuanced beginning the place was dead silent trying to soak up every quiet, barely caressed note. Best 12 bucks spent in awhile. I'd have gladly paid more.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 23
Actually, if I had bought the ticket in advance, it would've been only 10! I ended up buying 2 CDs while there (Walking Down Rainhill & Dragon.) I listened to WDR last night, but much prefer him live and solo... his energy and enthusiasm comes through so much more live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back