Jake Shimabukuro Concert
Mar 5, 2006 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

nabwong

Headphoneus Supremus
Oh my god...i'm at a loss for words....the concert was just mind boggling. First thing i'm going to do tomorrow is to head to school to the practice room. Have you guys ever seen a concert that made you feel so inspired?

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 23
Wow. I'm happy you got the opportunity to experience what you did. I'm familiar with Shimabukuro, but never went to one of his concerts - I can imagine it being an incredible experience.

Hmm. I need to get more of his CD's. Where was the performance? I thought he was largely a CA/Hawaii/Asia guy.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 23
I was at a recital at my school, LaGuardia. The piece was Trio in D minor Opus 49, Opus-Molto allegro agitato,by Felix Mendelssohn. What caught my virgin ears was the genius pianist, Jin. I was blown away, I onno but I felt that the music trully moved me like no other piece has.(and I was never big on classical music) the result: I also got infatuated w/Mendelssohn, but nothing can beat a live performace.

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Wow. I'm happy you got the opportunity to experience what you did. I'm familiar with Shimabukuro, but never went to one of his concerts - I can imagine it being an incredible experience.

Hmm. I need to get more of his CD's. Where was the performance? I thought he was largely a CA/Hawaii/Asia guy.

Best,

-Jason

Heart...that was what it was all about. He's relatively young, enthusiastic and above all, a really nice guy. I managed to chat with him for 5 mins asking him about his training and all that stuff. Most of it self-taught.

The concert was amazing. It was all about the music, technique second, though it was really incredible. In fact, the slow tunes were the ones that really caught my attention. Every single person at that concert enjoyed it, no doubt. He did some beatle songs, Here, There and Everywhere and While my guitar gently weeps. Also played Dragon, Spain, Ave Maria and Over the rainbow. Don't remember the others.

Standing ovation at the end.

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 23
Glad to hear that you enjoyed Jake's concert. Yes he's truly incredible and the few times that I've had the opportunity to see him in concert it was just awesome. He plays just about any style of music on his ukulele that you just thought wasn't possible and plays it with such emotion that it moving just to watch him. I saw a video once that documented one of Jake's tour in Japan where he was invited to do a private concert for some of Sony's recording industry execs and guests. At that concert he played with such emotion that a few in the audience were brought to tears.

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 23
It looks like I missed a great concert.
frown.gif

The concert was less than 20 min away from my apartment, but couldn't attend due to previous commitments that I couldn't cancel.

I guess I'll have to settle for grabbing another one of his CD's.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 23
I am sure glad I saw this post. I had heard of this guy, so I went and did a search and now I will have to buy at least one album to hear what it is all about.

Is there a particular album you would recomend or are they all just as good? Thanks.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 23
All the albums are pretty amazing. I have Walking down rainhill and Dragon. Walking down rainhill has a bonus dvd that shows him in the recording studio. But i think his live performances just tramples all over his cds...it's THAT good. He has 2 dvds too. I'm thinking of getting them.

Salts,

He's performing in northampton too i think. Check out his website. This Tuesday.

NYC on Wed.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 23
I haven`t seen him in concert ( I live FAR away :p )
Though from what I have heard of his work I prefer "Crosscurrent", the live version though.
Maybe not the most emotional piece of music but it kicks ass :)

Man I wish I had a tab for it :frowning2:

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 23
I've always enjoyed his google video performance. I bought his 4th and most recent album "Dragon" the other day...can't seem to get into it. I think I really need to see him in person, but he won't be on the west coast in a long time =(. Will try his earlier albums - maybe I need to go in order
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
I've always enjoyed his google video performance. I bought his 4th and most recent album "Dragon" the other day...can't seem to get into it. I think I really need to see him in person, but he won't be on the west coast in a long time =(. Will try his earlier albums - maybe I need to go in order
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

I've been told his first album Sunday Morning is still the best of the bunch. I personally haven't gotten around to ordering it since I tend to buy my CD's in huge bulks.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #15 of 23
Wow! I knew Jake was well known in Japan but didn't realize how much he has spread across the mainland. I've had the pleasure of attending a bunch of concerts Jake has been a part of. He is afterall a local legend. I have to agree that he plays with a ton of energy and emotion. His concerts are always very entertaining and his music is revolutionary considering that no one has used the ukulele to play so many genres of music and such heights of popularity.

Way to go Jake.

btw, at the moment my personal favorite album is walking down rainhill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back