Jade II Discussion
Mar 27, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #151 of 472
At least it solved your volume problem. Now we need to fix your bass problem :)
Are you using a balance dac?
Nein, the amp isn't balanced. No need for that.

Mar 27, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #152 of 472
You have pretty much nailed it. These headphones offer at the asking price, a buy into the high end world of listening at a cost that defies what you end up getting. And on bass lines, these move along with a good dynamic headphone but are faster. No sacrifice of bass because they are electrostatic. A wonderful expression of sound, of music and a good way to enjoy all of it!

Yep, those are definitely not for a basshead, but the clarity and the bass detail is so good I am in awe. HIFIMAN knows how to make a detailed headphone for sure. I got the package this morning, and I've been listening nonstop for almost 12 hours now, Really loving them.... :)

You mention you getting loud volumes on the Jade? Are you maxing it out everytime or half the dial is enough? You think a secondary amp might bring out the jade sound more or the jades amp is all anyone needs?

I am getting enough volume at around 3PM on the volume dial. That is as much as I'd go normally. Using Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ as a DAC, I know it has balanced outputs as well, but I don't have Balanced cables to go from Brooklyn DAC+ to Jade II, I may get some for experiments.

I think that Jade II is best appreciated at low and medium volumes, not ultra loud. Sundara goes much louder, much easier than Jade II, if one wants a loudness rush, but with Jade II you can best appreciate the detail at medium listening volumes, between 40 and 70 dB. I went as high as 95 maybe 100 dB on Jade II, and they are still enjoyable, but at that loudness it is too much to fully appreciate the detail. Please keep in mind that I'm a metalhead used to metal concerts, I love loud, but with Jade II, I simply stand there and appreciate the air, the detail, the fine work, I listened to a lot of metal, just to admire the beautiful picture they paint, I don't think they are a headphone made for a wall of sound, but rather a headphone made for a truly impressive overall picture with detail, dynamics and clarity :)

It gets a lot louder but then I get a lot of distortion on bass.

All electrostatics behave this way. Out of curiosity, you're trying to get above 95 dB and listening to either electronic or metal, or commercial music, no?

For an experiment, just try to listen at medium to quiet listening levels :) The beauty with electrostatics and Jade II is in the detail and clarity, huge soundstage, refinement, not in pure volume.

You'll thank me later, and so will the health of your hearing :)

Nein, the amp isn't balanced. No need for that.

Try a balanced DAC out to Jade II in balanced mode, it sounds even better, more loudness, better control. But you need Balanced DAC signal.

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #154 of 472
BTW, everyone thinking that I'm using Jade II with Diana Krall, I'm using a ton of commercial, pop, punk, metal and electronic music, just admire the whole picture at a more healthy level, I am in for dynamics, for soundstage, for clarity, for detail, for fine textures and refinement. Even with Dubstep, what Jade II does is simply out of this world!

I have a Tidal Playlist I use for tests, I present it in all my Audiophile-Heaven reviews :)

I invite you to get a taste of what Jade II can sound great with, it is not just Classical or mellow Jazz, it is absolutely everything, even death and black metal, just listen it at a lower volume and be ready to be surprised!

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/64555551-ec3c-4279-ae44-248fdfcf6c4b

This is good stuff. Glad the successor is winning peoples hearts

I'm actually new to Electrostatics from HIFIMAN, I've no idea what their track record is, but Jade II is absolutely outstanding. I dare say I now want more electrostats, this stuff is what dreams are made of :)

BTW, just look at the beauty of this thing! The driver shines in red, blue, green, violet, depending on how the light shines on it!

Also, the driver is so thin you can easily see through it, light and thin driver membrane means fast drivers which means excellent detail!

D2s1A14XgAc3dqy.jpg:large

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #155 of 472
BTW, everyone thinking that I'm using Jade II with Diana Krall, I'm using a ton of commercial, pop, punk, metal and electronic music, just admire the whole picture at a more healthy level, I am in for dynamics, for soundstage, for clarity, for detail, for fine textures and refinement. Even with Dubstep, what Jade II does is simply out of this world!

I have a Tidal Playlist I use for tests, I present it in all my Audiophile-Heaven reviews :)

I invite you to get a taste of what Jade II can sound great with, it is not just Classical or mellow Jazz, it is absolutely everything, even death and black metal, just listen it at a lower volume and be ready to be surprised!

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/64555551-ec3c-4279-ae44-248fdfcf6c4b

I'm actually new to Electrostatics from HIFIMAN, I've no idea what their track record is, but Jade II is absolutely outstanding. I dare say I now want more electrostats, this stuff is what dreams are made of :)

BTW, just look at the beauty of this thing! The driver shines in red, blue, green, violet, depending on how the light shines on it!

Also, the driver is so thin you can easily see through it, light and thin driver membrane means fast drivers which means excellent detail!

D2s1A14XgAc3dqy.jpg:large
I would agree. They make it easy to listen to music and forget you are listening to music because you just enjoy the experience. Good stuff!

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #156 of 472
I'm actually new to Electrostatics from HIFIMAN, I've no idea what their track record

Well,

2007 - EH 1.1 (Discontinue)
2008 - EH 1.2 (Discontinue)
2008 - EH 1.3 (Discontinue)
2008-9 - EH 1.2B (Discontinue)
2008-12 - HE Audio JADE (Discontinue)

Legendary EH 1.2 was amazing.
Legendary EH 1.3 is the "ULTIMATE HOLY GRAIL" Headphone collector item !!!

Legendary JADE is one of the greatest electrostatic headphones I ever heard. Mix bag, but if you own a mint version with zero sound flaws like my version than... Enough said...

Hifiman Shangr-la SR
Hifiman Shangr-la JR
Hifiman JADE 2

The beginning of Hifiman was interesting. It kept all the same nasty build quality issues to present times! The EH models and the infamous JADE 1 had horrible nasty builds to them. And sadly they continue that progress all the way to the Susvara. My god !!!

Love this quote from legendary Sprizter, "Hifiman is allergic to premium materials" !!! This is the truest statement you can say about Hifiman.

But

Hifiman surely knows how to make sound! And they might be the company that might achieve an ideal (perfect) sound!? With awful materials sadly.. Owell...

Shangri-La SR is Hifiman statement product
Shangri-La Jr is Hifiman Flagship
JADE 2 is an affordable entry level but should be more? Why?
JADE 1 was design to go toe to toe with the Sennheiser HE90

I currently own the Shangr-la JR. Its a Susvara that went electrostatic! Much better than 009S! Only a few individual own the JR here. Ask @bluesaint .
Even legendary Sprizter like them! You know the guy who is making all the Carbons for their staxs! Sprizter quote, 'The sound did impress me'. And for me its next to the best estats you can own.

Cheers,
You are a Hifiman Estat historian now :p

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #157 of 472
Well,

Legendary JADE is one of the greatest electrostatic headphones I ever heard. Mix bag, but if you own a mint version with zero sound flaws like my version than... Enough said...

Hifiman Shangr-la SR
Hifiman Shangr-la JR
Hifiman JADE 2

The beginning of Hifiman was interesting. It kept all the same nasty build quality issues to present times! The EH models and the infamous JADE 1 had horrible nasty builds to them. And sadly they continue that progress all the way to the Susvara. My god !!!

Love this quote from legendary Sprizter, "Hifiman is allergic to premium materials" !!! This is the truest statement you can say about Hifiman.

But

Hifiman surely knows how to make sound! And they might be the company that might achieve an ideal (perfect) sound!? With awful materials sadly.. Owell...

I currently own the Shangr-la JR. Its a Susvara that went electrostatic! Much better than 009S! Only a few individual own the JR here. Ask @bluesaint .
Even legendary Sprizter like them! You know the guy who is making all the Carbons for their staxs! Sprizter quote, 'The sound did impress me'. And for me its next to the best estats you can own.

Cheers,

Woah, amazing write-up!! :)

I had no idea the history was this long :)

Well, the build quality on Jade II is not bad, but they are made clearly to be light and comfy, not to look or feel high-end, as much as to feel and look transparent, they do that, being so comfy, they disappear off your head while you're wearing them :)

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #158 of 472
Well,

Hifiman Shangr-la SR
Hifiman Shangr-la JR
Hifiman JADE 2

But

Cheers,

Indeed, the Jade 2 is incredible. I sold my HE1KV2 immediately after I bought the Jade 2's because its that good. And then as with all things, you start wondering if Shangri-La Jr is better, so I went and bought that. And yes Jr is better in every way possible except for soundstage. The J2's soundstage is incredible. Now I'm looking at getting a Sr... Alas, not an easy financial decision...

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #159 of 472
Yep, those are definitely not for a basshead, but the clarity and the bass detail is so good I am in awe. HIFIMAN knows how to make a detailed headphone for sure. I got the package this morning, and I've been listening nonstop for almost 12 hours now, Really loving them.... :)

I am getting enough volume at around 3PM on the volume dial. That is as much as I'd go normally. Using Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ as a DAC, I know it has balanced outputs as well, but I don't have Balanced cables to go from Brooklyn DAC+ to Jade II, I may get some for experiments.

I think that Jade II is best appreciated at low and medium volumes, not ultra loud. Sundara goes much louder, much easier than Jade II, if one wants a loudness rush, but with Jade II you can best appreciate the detail at medium listening volumes, between 40 and 70 dB. I went as high as 95 maybe 100 dB on Jade II, and they are still enjoyable, but at that loudness it is too much to fully appreciate the detail. Please keep in mind that I'm a metalhead used to metal concerts, I love loud, but with Jade II, I simply stand there and appreciate the air, the detail, the fine work, I listened to a lot of metal, just to admire the beautiful picture they paint, I don't think they are a headphone made for a wall of sound, but rather a headphone made for a truly impressive overall picture with detail, dynamics and clarity :)

All electrostatics behave this way. Out of curiosity, you're trying to get above 95 dB and listening to either electronic or metal, or commercial music, no?

For an experiment, just try to listen at medium to quiet listening levels :) The beauty with electrostatics and Jade II is in the detail and clarity, huge soundstage, refinement, not in pure volume.

Try a balanced DAC out to Jade II in balanced mode, it sounds even better, more loudness, better control. But you need Balanced DAC signal.
I listen to the system at moderate volume to. It sounds really good. I just get my rock out urge and blast it a little higher than normal. And, plus my hearing is a little screwed up already so I'm not worried mucb.

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #160 of 472
I listen to the system at moderate volume to. It sounds really good. I just get my rock out urge and blast it a little higher than normal. And, plus my hearing is a little screwed up already so I'm not worried mucb.

Sory to hear that...

As for a rock out urge, I also get those, but I'd rather plug in something very dynamic yet that can go really loud like Sundara for that :)

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #161 of 472
It gets a lot louder but then I get a lot of distortion on bass.

I have never listed to any non-Stax electrostats, but can confirm that it is absolutely not the case that "all electrostatics behave this way" since it is not the case with Stax electrostatics. There is no increased distortion at ear-bleeding levels whether out of my DIYT2 or my KGSSHV Carbon with any of my current multiple 007, 009, 307, or past Stax headphones (it is, however, a different story with Stax's own amplifiers, which do distort at higher volumes). So there is a problem in the chain or with the Jades themselves. It is also worth pointing out that out of a KGSSHV Carbon, Spritzer/Birgir indicated the "first thing you'll notice is the utter lack of usable deep bass output" - this is apparently worse out of the dedicated amp. So GIANT grain of salt needed here.

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #162 of 472
I have never listed to any non-Stax electrostats, but can confirm that it is absolutely not the case that "all electrostatics behave this way" since it is not the case with Stax electrostatics. There is no increased distortion at ear-bleeding levels whether out of my DIYT2 or my KGSSHV Carbon with any of my current multiple 007, 009, 307, or past Stax headphones (it is, however, a different story with Stax's own amplifiers, which do distort at higher volumes). So there is a problem in the chain or with the Jades themselves. It is also worth pointing out that out of a KGSSHV Carbon, Spritzer/Birgir indicated the "first thing you'll notice is the utter lack of usable deep bass output" - this is apparently worse out of the dedicated amp. So GIANT grain of salt needed here.

Then maybe the AMPs especially weren't designed for this volumes, because the Stax I tested were behaving this way as well, they simply don't like ear bleeding loudness.

As a metalhead, I can go to 105 dB - 110 dB while listening, for short periods of time, so I know my loud. I am quite sure most people do not listen as loud as me when I get my crazy phase :)

Thing is, with Jade II, the sound is so clear and pure I don't feel like turning the volume that much. I simply prefer listening to them with the volume pot at about 12 am - 14 pm, if the DAC, mytek brooklyn DAC+ is at 0 or -6dB

For everyone who is using Jade II, please try to pair them with a high-end DAC for best results!

I will also be testing Jade II with an M2Tech Young MK III DAC tomorrow, which should be fun!

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #163 of 472
I just got the JADE II in today.
The amplifier is so heavy its insane.

So far it is a very, very comfy headphone. It's probably the most comfortable headphone that I've tried.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #165 of 472
Hifiman’s reply to the voltage shock case:

@TeamHiFiMAN

Hey, that idiot reviewer took that headphone outside on a snowy day! Didn't you guys properly watch it!? Moisture and snow droplets most likely got in the headphone and that idiot reviewer started listening to it.
Dont take that schiit review seriously.

You should sue him for stupidity!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back