Jade II Discussion
Feb 7, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #61 of 472
Thats a bit harsh....

If he used to own stax and has some other headphones for comparison, I look forward to his review.

Maybe it is a bit harsh and I would not say it if he was just another HeadFier posting a review here, but since it is for publication in an online magazine (for lack of a better word), I think some criticism is ok.

Long term auditory memory is not a thing, so I put zero stock in the idea of comparing to a headphone you used to own. Electrostatics have a unique sound. While it is sensible to compare them to other similarly prices headphones of all types, electrostatic fans want to know how they compare to other electrostatics.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #63 of 472
I can't say I think too much of that. Seems like you are not the right person to do this review, but I'll read it with an open mind when it is published.

Don't worry, I will bring in a Stax setup if I can rather than rely on aural memory.

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #64 of 472
I have to admit I like these a little more than the Stax. They are not as airy as the Stax, maybe not as good of a sound stage, but I felt they where more solid sounding with good tonal balance..... and a lot less money compared to an 009 with a Blue Hawaii rig.

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #65 of 472
I have to admit I like these a little more than the Stax. They are not as airy as the Stax, maybe not as good of a sound stage, but I felt they where more solid sounding with good tonal balance..... and a lot less money compared to an 009 with a Blue Hawaii rig.

did you listen to the JR, SR and Jade all out of same amp or their own amps?

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #66 of 472
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #68 of 472
i like it a lot. I like it enough to the point I'm about to get a Shangri-la JR to see how much better that is. But again, i'm not using their amps and have zero desire to do so. HFM amp quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Now that reminds me, I did do a little experiment at the Hifiman table and took the Shangri-la Jr and put it through the Jade's amp and guess what......it didn't sound that bad, although not nearly as good as through it's own tube amp, but the Jr still sounded better than most HP's out there even on the Jades amp. This setup did sound better than the Jade HP too.

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #69 of 472
What would be an equivalently priced amp that would be better than the Jades current amp?

Feb 24, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #71 of 472
It's an interesting review here:

and a major concern here, just published few hours ago.:

Wondering if any owner care to comment, please. Thank you!

I was recently thinking to get some electrostatic cans and every-time I had this...fear of the high voltage. It's first time when I actually see someone actually complaining.

Feb 24, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #72 of 472
No issues here, but again, as I previously mentioned, I only bought their cans, and not the system. The quality control of the amps leaves a lot to be desired. That said, I bought the Shangri-la JR as well and waiting for that to come in next week since i enjoyed the Jade II that much.

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #74 of 472
I probably wouldn't use any of the stax pro bias amps out there as that will under drive the Jade IMO. The Jade is rated for 650v while pro bias is 580v. Sounds fantastic out of the iESL + iCan combo.

I see that you are using the full Ifi suite of amps and DACS with the Jade about $5K worth. My point is to keeps the amp/energizers in line with the budget nature of the Jade. Perhaps get an iESL with a Jot or an AudioGD as amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back