Jade II Discussion
Apr 2, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #196 of 472
I had the amp and phones at a show, many people used it, and have been testing and using it for a few weeks now without issue. Also the comments at the show were that the Jade II combo was some of the best sound they have heard. One person kept asking his friends to come over and listen and he came back with his friend at least 4 times. It would be nice if some at the show would post their impressions, since this gives a more varied set of impressions than just me posting this but I do have images, which I guess I should post. I have also left the amp running 24/7 for days with zero issues.

That must be one HOT amp!

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #197 of 472
I inquired about an electrostatic amplifier for this headphone other than its original paired amp, and I won't say who told me, but they told me to stay far away from this headphone because of issues that they have been running into. :frowning2:

Someone who I won't name, told me something that I won't detail about issues that I won't describe, that you should be very alarmed about.

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #198 of 472
Apr 2, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #200 of 472
It looks like most of his complaints have to do with build quality -- what a surprise. He also stated that he thought that the sound was on par with the Stax L300 or Koss 950 -- just food for thought, even though I still think that they sound incredible. :)

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #201 of 472
It looks like most of his complaints have to do with build quality -- what a surprise. He also stated that he thought that the sound was on par with the Stax L300 or Koss 950 -- just food for thought, even though I still think that they sound incredible. :)
I have the Koss 950 and while it is ok, the sound is nowhere the same, IMO. The Jade II is much better. Better layering, no comparison in the bass. I read one person's report that the bass wasn't good on the Jade II and all I can think of is that there was something not working correctly as the bass is very good. I am sure more will chime in, once more have heard the Jade II amp and phones.

Apr 2, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #202 of 472
What will drive some of you crazy like me is after having experienced Jade2, you will wonder about shangri-la and shangri-la jr..

And of course I ended up with Shangri-la Jr... :o2smile:

AWesome!

At least you're in heaven now!~

I have the Koss 950 and while it is ok, the sound is nowhere the same, IMO. The Jade II is much better. Better layering, no comparison in the bass. I read one person's report that the bass wasn't good on the Jade II and all I can think of is that there was something not working correctly as the bass is very good. I am sure more will chime in, once more have heard the Jade II amp and phones.

I can agree that the bass is not enough actually. It is too neutral for some music styles, it is good if you are at peace with a neutral bass, otherwise it lacks some quantity.

Also, a friend pointed this out, but Jade II doesn't like EQ and it is true, you can't dial in much more bass, they don't like it. Basically, by the time I try to lower the pre by 6dB to add 6dB of bass, I have to turn the amp quite loud.

I do enjoy them in their original state. I have a ton of high-end equipment, and Jade II is a unique monster in terms of details, it is one of the very very few that can really extract the dynamics and details I love from pretty much all post-hardcore songs I know. If I was to rank Jade II, I think they work pretty much excellent with metal, even technical deathcore and math metal, they are lovely with classical and pop, but one thing they don't do well is electronic music, Arya from HIFIMAN is much better for Electronic music.

On Koss 950, I don't have it, but a friend does, and we did some short comparisons of Jade II and Koss 950 side by side, volume matched. The comparisons were really short, like about 2-3 songs, but from that experience, I'd say that Jade II is in another category in terms of detail and clarity, although I do consider the Koss great deal when it goes on massdrop, that is where my friend got it :)

I got the same feeling from Stax Lambda Pro, they simply aren't quite at the same level as Jade II in terms of realism and details in the midrange. Another friend has the Stax and is enjoying them quite a lot, but brought them at one of our montly audiophile meets in Romania, I actually took some photos there, will share soon, probably within a review of a product that was presented there - The LX Ears Flex One - the company is from Bucharest Romania and did make a review sample for @dusty.ro :)

Back to the subject of this thread, I do have some experience with Electrostatics, it just happens that Jade II impressed me the most so far out of all electrostats, although to be fair I didn't have the same time with any other so far, or the same quiet conditions to analyse them.

I haven't heard any Electrostatic flagships, like Shangri-La Jr and such either.

Apr 2, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #204 of 472
AWesome!

At least you're in heaven now!~

I can agree that the bass is not enough actually. It is too neutral for some music styles, it is good if you are at peace with a neutral bass, otherwise it lacks some quantity.

Also, a friend pointed this out, but Jade II doesn't like EQ and it is true, you can't dial in much more bass, they don't like it. Basically, by the time I try to lower the pre by 6dB to add 6dB of bass, I have to turn the amp quite loud.

I do enjoy them in their original state. I have a ton of high-end equipment, and Jade II is a unique monster in terms of details, it is one of the very very few that can really extract the dynamics and details I love from pretty much all post-hardcore songs I know. If I was to rank Jade II, I think they work pretty much excellent with metal, even technical deathcore and math metal, they are lovely with classical and pop, but one thing they don't do well is electronic music, Arya from HIFIMAN is much better for Electronic music.

On Koss 950, I don't have it, but a friend does, and we did some short comparisons of Jade II and Koss 950 side by side, volume matched. The comparisons were really short, like about 2-3 songs, but from that experience, I'd say that Jade II is in another category in terms of detail and clarity, although I do consider the Koss great deal when it goes on massdrop, that is where my friend got it :)

I got the same feeling from Stax Lambda Pro, they simply aren't quite at the same level as Jade II in terms of realism and details in the midrange. Another friend has the Stax and is enjoying them quite a lot, but brought them at one of our montly audiophile meets in Romania, I actually took some photos there, will share soon, probably within a review of a product that was presented there - The LX Ears Flex One - the company is from Bucharest Romania and did make a review sample for @dusty.ro :)

Back to the subject of this thread, I do have some experience with Electrostatics, it just happens that Jade II impressed me the most so far out of all electrostats, although to be fair I didn't have the same time with any other so far, or the same quiet conditions to analyse them.

I haven't heard any Electrostatic flagships, like Shangri-La Jr and such either.
Ok.........Math metal? I am an old metal head and haven’t heard of that one before!

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #205 of 472
Ok.........Math metal? I am an old metal head and haven’t heard of that one before!

Wasn’t that part of the “School House Rock” Series:ksc75smile:...

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #207 of 472
Yes, like deathcore, but instead of being a sub type of death metal, it is of crust and punk or hardcore :)

Here are a few examples :)

Psyopus is a really good example - although it may be more mathcore than math metal :)

I've never heard such music, but the Jade II definitely kept up the whole time. :)

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #208 of 472
I've never heard such music, but the Jade II definitely kept up the whole time. :)

Yeah - using them right now for that song, they can keep up, and it makes me smile :)

That is really hard to keep up with, to render all those fast sweeps in the background, and all that aggressive drums, along with the really unstable voice / lead guitar. This brings me joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back