J3 Cowon and DT1350, what can I expect?
Jul 27, 2011 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kerrazy

New Head-Fier
First time poster here, and the first time I'm dabbling in high-end audio gear as well.

I literally just ordered these babies, and would like some clarification; how well do the J3 Cows drive the DT1350? Is the difference like day and night when properly amped or are we talking slight improvements?

Let me emphasize that these are my first killer cups - with 90$ in-ear Senns being what I used to call luxury. I'm looking to get every bit of juice out of these ones, so; are amps worth it?

Cheers 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 9
The Cowon J3 don't have line out to hook up with AMPs for better sound quality than HP jack. To me Beyerdynamic DT1350 will work fine with J3 without AMPs help but sound quality won't improve much if AMPs connect through it's (J3) HP jack.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Okay, great. 

Having no experience with high-end cans, I'm hoping to get blown away anyway. What I should do is stop obsessing and steer clear of Head-Fi 
rolleyes.gif

You will get blown away, and J3's HP out is as good as a line-out, so feel free to grab a real good amp later. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 9
Great stuff - might as well ask while we're on the topic; if I decide to get an amp down the line, what would you guys recommend?  I read that the Pico Slims paired well the 1350s, but the price seems a bit hefty.

Oh, and help a newbie out, exactly what makes an amp a worthwhile investment?

Cheers :)

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 9
An amp will make the 1350's cleaner, fuller, punchier, quicker, and a bit more open-sounding, but how much depends on the amp.   Cheaper ones tend to do little, if anything at all.
I'd say go $200+ on the amp.  =X
Again, amp not necessary.

It will also allow your J3 to last a bit longer as far as battery life since you will be presenting it with a high-impedance load (amp), and the amp takes care of powering the headphone instead of your player.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 9
Alright, which amp would you pair with the DT1350s? I'll mainly be using them for commuting and for college, so they should be pretty light. (in pricing as well, but guessing that's wishful thinking by the sound of it. :))

E: Your ninja edit got ahead of me, hehe. I will probably forget about the amp once the phones land in by mailbox, right now I'm only worried as I see the word amps getting thrown around all over the place, but still, the question still remains true if I decide to go for one somewhere down the road.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 9
Probably any slim amp, I suppose.  I kind of want to try the UHA-4 sometime.
I'd use Minibox-E+ because, well, I already own it, lol.  It is a discontinued amp, or I would recommend it.  There's the Minibox-ES now, but it has half the battery life and marginally better sound, but $30 cheaper and includes a free set of RE0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back