I've suddenly become a believer that there are difference between sources
Apr 8, 2004 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
I just ripped my Acoustic Alchemy best of CD and compressed to FLAC. I've always used this disc as one of my tests. The guitars are very revealing, and certain aspects of the recording engineering stand out in my mind as far as soundstage and presence goes, etc.

I loaded it up...and I immediately thought that it sounded like a cheap plastic toy guitar. Where was the bass? The midrange had dropped out, making everything sound cheap, flat, and 2 dimensional. Like paper images...

Popped the cd into my cdplayer and synced them up. Man, what a difference! Looking at each frequency range individually, it was a slight difference, not something I would describe as night and day, but the net result was significant. There IS a significant difference.

Other cds I ripped in the past didn't pop out at me as much. I noticed from the getgo that the revo had a more pronounced top end, making it seem a bit light, but the difference didn't provoke me into doing a direct A/B comparison (it was all classical/latin jazz.)

Apr 8, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 48
Welcome to Team Source Matters, and Team Source First. It's a small group, but we're gathering momentum quite rapidly.
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the discovery about the importance of your source.

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 48
use larger and better filter caps, remove caps from signal way and bias opamps into Class A and repeat the experiment - what a difference you'd say
cool.gif

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
heck even the difference between my RME card stock and unmodded is huge.

does unmodding really make that big a difference?
eek.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist.
evil_smiley.gif
)

Apr 8, 2004 at 10:12 AM Post #9 of 48
There was a time you didn't believe there was a difference between sources? Hmm..

Source & cans (or speakers) are probably the most imporant factors after original recording quality. Amps can make a huge difference, just usually not as big as an equivalent source or can upgrade. Many people take their source too lightly around here while shelling out big $ for amps and cans. I guess the average person doesn't know that cd players can sound significantly different from one another.

-dd3mon

Apr 8, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Welcome to Team Source Matters, and Team Source First. It's a small group, but we're gathering momentum quite rapidly.
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the discovery about the importance of your source.

Do I have any new recruits?
|
|
\/

Apr 8, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 48
wanna more recruits? it's simple! send out some of your players to us and we're yours
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Glassman
wanna more recruits? it's simple! send out some of your players to us and we're yours
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

No, everyone here seems too obsessed with Meridian.
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by jefemeister
No, everyone here seems too obsessed with Meridian.
biggrin.gif

me not! me not! please send me your 302 CD and I'll proove it
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 48
Looks like you need a new CD player AND soundcard.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Looks like you need a new CD player AND soundcard.
evil_smiley.gif

why soundcard? I'm quite happy with my ESI WT192X - same ADC as Lynx2 or E-MU 1212M - perfect measuring device
wink.gif
what I really need is some DAC that rules - and it's certainly the case with Wadia 302 CD - little modification in order to accept S/PDIF input instead of internal drive's data and I'm happy forever (well..
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back