I've purchased a Cowon D2 (16GB)
Jun 23, 2008 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

chimpanZ

New Head-Fier
I got the 16Gb version, and it should be here by tomorrow. However what I wonder is the problem I hear associated with it.

I heard rockbox is being ported to it. Is it an acceptable firmware replacement, or simply a pre release that can play music?

Does the firmware need to format the D2 every time that it is updated? It seems outdated, and I'm wondering if the newest firmware is acceptable for audio playback, and if they have gapless playback yet. I also heard about the annoyance of the GUI needing several clicks before playback is changed and whatnot.

Are the buttons on it useful in any way if I keep it in my pocket most of the time? I don't expect it to do anything besides play/pause, next, prev and have volume control buttons.

Is the battery user removable and replaceable or is it not?

Is there a remote control marketed for the D2? I'm interested in purchasing one.

Does it handle drops well? I'm buying a case but I don't want to take any chances with such an expensive piece of hardware.

Thanks.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 16
um, do you think you should have asked these questions before you bought it?

otherwise, i think most of your questions will be answered when you get it tomorrow

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 16
Rockbox is being ported, but it's not yet complete and user friendly. It's still in not a state were it can replace the stock firmware.

I'm not really knowledgeable on the firmware of the D2s, but I do know that there are many versions and each have their pros and cons (i.e. new features/ bugs).

The external buttons are fairly useful... you can set them to be volume and menu buttons when the hold switch is off and next, previous and play when the hold switch is on. It should be fairly usable in a pocket "blind".

The battery is not user-replaceable.

As far as I know there is no remote... but I could be wrong.

The D2 is well built, but it is an electronic device, so it can't handle falls that well and there is always the risk of it breaking. I'd get a case just in to be safe
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 16
It handles drops very well, in fact. The only thing in danger from falls is the screen.

I dropped mine while walking at school, and the only reason I noticed was the slight tug on my headphones. I had dragged it for several feet, and scratched the frame up, but it played like nothing happened.

No gapless yet.

I'd suggest the newest firmware, which is X.57. It's the most stable and has the least bugs. I've not encounterd any yet.

Differences exist in the firmware, namely between 1.xx, 2.xx, 3.xx and 4.xx. It's all pretty simple and you should go to www.iaudiophile.net for all the D2 info you're ever going to need.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 16
I heard rockbox is being ported to it.
not ready yet
Does the firmware need to format the D2 every time that it is updated?
yes, this is about every 3-4 months, which may sound inconvenient but actually it is great that we get such frequent upgrades
I also heard about the annoyance of the GUI needing several clicks before playback is changed and whatnot.
These people need wet nurses.
Are the buttons on it useful in any way if I keep it in my pocket most of the time? I don't expect it to do anything besides play/pause, next, prev and have volume control buttons.
Volume is no problem. There is one "user defined" button that can do play/pause and I think next or prev. You might be somewhat disappointed here.
Is the battery user removable and replaceable or is it not?
Not for the average user. But if you know what you're doing, why not?
Is there a remote control marketed for the D2? I'm interested in purchasing one.
Does it handle drops well? I'm buying a case but I don't want to take any chances with such an expensive piece of hardware.
There are certainly higher priced DAPs out there. But yeah, the screen is the only issue. It is very sturdy. I've dropped it more that I should have and it's fine.

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 16
i just got my D2 yesterday, im very happy with it, although the 4GB internal memory is a tad light, ive ordered some transcend cards, they are on way.

ive not dropped it yet but it does feel well made.

the battery should be easier to replace than an ipod as the D2 has 2 screws on the back wheras the ipod has none and i managed to change ipod batteries easily.

i dont know if you ordered yours with the DAB feature but for me in my area its a fantastic feature and is easily going to be used as much as my own music. and from what ive tested, under roof the reception is superb and sounds great.

the touch screen can be fiddly but it is very responsive and good. and the outer buttons are kept to a minimum.

i use shure se530's with the D2 and in one word it is MINT! good choice of player, get used to the UI and it is one of the best.

oh and i had a 5.5g ipod with rockbox and rockbox was great with a great EQ but it was too buggy for me. the D2 features a great EQ that works as good as any mp3 player EQ and the EQ was the rockbox's best feature. the ipod didnt do it justice tho, i feel the D2 will

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 16
Sounds like your questions are taken care of but FWIW, I have one and love it. Dropped numerous times but the only result was a few character-building dings. UI is no more screwy than any other brand. The expandable SDHC is great but the file # maximums are kind of a stopper. Maybe Rockbox will someday address that issue.

Good luck with it and hope you enjoy it as much a I have.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 16
Dropped on MANY an occasion and not a scratch; and the SQ is PHENOMENAL!!!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do and welcome to the family!!!

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chimpanZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone. UPS didn't ship it today (typical) but at least I'll know what to look forward to. I'll probably update to the x.57 and hope 16GB is enough. Thanks guys!

If you have a lot of lossless files you can buy a 32gb sdhc card and your D2 will become a 48gb D2.

Other than that you might run into the file limitation problem.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 16
Unless you're like much of the Head-fiers here, and choose to only play 320kbps and up MP3s, or only FLAC/OGG files. It's definitely nice to have those options.

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 16
I recently purchased a Cowon iAudio 7. It's basically a D2 without the video - a straightaway music player. It is fantastic. You will enjoy your D2. Suggestion: if you rip your own CDs to audio files, take advantage of its FLAC capability. I use and recommend dBpoweramp to rip mine. I'm no computer expert but with patience, I've figured it out.

You have a very elegant toy!

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 16
everything with it seems to be fine except the battery life and the fact it cannot have more than one playlist. im not sure how much battery life you guys gut with it, but i lefi it on with low ohm (16) headphones with mostly lossy mp3s at around 224vbr, and the battery bars drain faster than they should. it seems to be around maybe six hours per bar even wheni dont press anything. is this unusual? i wasnt expecting 52hrs, but this seems a bit lower than it should be.

there is definately something wrong. i was on the last bar and it suddenly went to no bars when i turned on the screen.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #14 of 16
You may have a defective unit. I've owned mine for well over a year now, and I still get 40+ hours, with an 16GB SDHC card installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back