Ive officially been Shpongled upside the head:
Aug 21, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #17 of 35

davym

Head-Fier
I've seen the orb live several times in the past , they where much better than they ever got in the studio, shpongle seem able to make it all work very well though - shame so few others do.
Just finished listening to tales of the inexpressable, very nice!

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 35

MoodySteve

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dancing With Kadafi. The end! Seriously one of the most amazingly composed pieces of music in the history of all music. Dare you to question it after having listened to it with your full dedication three times
smily_headphones1.gif

x999
Dancing with Kadafi is one of the best songs in any genre, period. I think I'll go listen to it now.

Aug 22, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #20 of 35

BadassBob

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolamoto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO Classical Mushroom was a better album than Converting Vegetarians.

Ill second that. To me, IM fell off the wagon when they released Converting Vegetarians. Im more for their old style and not so much for their attempt to make it to the American pop charts. The Gathering, Classical Mushroom, and BP Empire are all excellent albums. Classical Mushroom has been in my regular rotation now for almost 6 years
biggrin.gif
. If you like Shpongle, I highly suggest you give Entheogenic a listen, particularly Spontaneous Illumination, or their newest album Flight Of The Urubus.

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #21 of 35

Ozric

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also into this type of music. Shpongle & Infected Mushroom are some of my favorite groups.

Give Ozric Tentacles a try.

Ozrics rock
wink.gif
Spirals in Hyperspace is one of best produced and recorded space-rock albums I have heard. Just incredible.

Other acts akin to Shpongle of notable mention in the psybient genre: Entheogenic, Shulman, OTT and Simon Posford's other more live project, Younger Brother (can't believe I missed seeing them live in the US this year). Vibrasphere is more progressive, but also delicious ear candy.

I used to like some of Infected Mushroom's early work, and they are obviously legendary in psy / Goa circles, but I think the cheese factor in their recordings detracts from the overall flavor. Especially the ridiculous sounding distorted guitar samples and the strange vocal samples.

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #22 of 35

Luminette

1000+ Head-Fier
Good to see some Dancing With Kadafi love here ;]

It always amazes me that more audiophiles aren't into psy.. it just... makes sense.

Shulman is my #2 psybient artist after Shpongle (who are a little more than psybient)

I'll probably be back later today after work to list some top psytrance and psybient artists.. maybe even start a new thread - will link it from here if I do, we can create a psy best of list or something

Aug 22, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #23 of 35

davym

Head-Fier
quote (Ozrics rock Spirals in Hyperspace is one of best produced and recorded space-rock albums I have heard. Just incredible.)

Hey Ozric have you checked out - Pungent Efulgent (think thats the spelling) thats the first Ozrics album i bought, still one of their best IMO.

If you want something really wierd check out - Gong or early Hawkwind, music to shroom to if ever their was.

Aug 23, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #24 of 35

BadassBob

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It always amazes me that more audiophiles aren't into psy.. it just... makes sense

I agree. Before I was really into the audiophile realm, psy is what drew me into it. My friend has a pair of old Pioneer speakers...vintage from the 70s, not sure which exact ones. The first time I heard psy was through those, and Ive been hooked ever since. I just couldnt believe all the layers and sounds I was hearing...I was amazed. Now I listen to about 90% psy, and the other 10% is classic rock.

Aug 23, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #25 of 35

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by davym /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quote (Ozrics rock Spirals in Hyperspace is one of best produced and recorded space-rock albums I have heard. Just incredible.)

Hey Ozric have you checked out - Pungent Effulgent (think thats the spelling) thats the first Ozrics album i bought, still one of their best IMO.

If you want something really weird check out - Gong or early Hawkwind, music to shroom to if ever their was.

Erpland too.

OZRIC TENTACLES music, discography, MP3, videos and reviews

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #26 of 35

Ozric

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by davym /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey Ozric have you checked out - Pungent Efulgent (think thats the spelling) thats the first Ozrics album i bought, still one of their best IMO.

If you want something really wierd check out - Gong or early Hawkwind, music to shroom to if ever their was.

I have the entire Ozrics catalog...studio, live audience recordings, rarities. I'm a fan
biggrin.gif
Need to check out Gong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Erpland too.

OZRIC TENTACLES music, discography, MP3, videos and reviews

Erpland is a classic. Arborescence is my personal favorite.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #27 of 35

GravityEyelids

100+ Head-Fier
Shpongle is incredible...very relaxing (some parts, anyway). and to whoever said they sound great when tired, your absolutely right. Better yet, take some Benadryl and listen..

Aug 23, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #28 of 35

BadassBob

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by GravityEyelids /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better yet, take some Benadryl and listen..

Never took Benadryl and listened...but mushrooms...oh hell yes
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #30 of 35

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
Another big fan of IM, Hallucinogen and Ozric Tentacles here.

Also try out Dark Soho, Haldolium, Hux Flux, MFG, Oforia, Reefer Decree. As well as late at night, they are impressive car stereo work-outs.

Ozric, IM use live guitar in concert when possible
smily_headphones1.gif

This kind of music (dance but with a dark/psy sound) opened me up to other stuff like KMFDM (dancey with heavy guitar) and now it's spiralled off into ambient/darkwave haha... too much music, too little time!

Users who are viewing this thread