I've made my decision, I'm getting Westone 3s. Anything I should know?
Dec 31, 2008 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

thatguyoverthere

100+ Head-Fier
Well, it took a while for me to look at all the information on the different options, but I think I've decided to get Westone 3s. I'm not going for the IE8s because of the adjustable bass. I'm obsessive compulsive about those things, and I know I'd never stop adjusting it. I'm not getting the 530s because most reviews say that the Westone 3s surpass them all around, and the Triple Fis are just plain ugly looking. I listen mostly to Rock (almost every kind) and Metal (again, just about all kinds) and I was just wondering whether I'm making the right decision, or whether the other options may have been better suited to my needs.

Obviously I'm going to get mixed responses, but I'd still like to know. Also, I'm listening to lossless music out of an unamped iPod classic. I plan on buying an RSA P51-Mustang eventually, probably about a year from now, though. One of the reasons I don't want an SE530, actually, is that I hear they don't amp as well as the W3s, and that's important to me (I won't be purchasing new headphones for a while)

to clarify, Did I make the right decision?

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 25
Be patient getting used to them. I would start with the regular sized complys and then go from there.

Try the Ipod on "jazz' setting. I think it is excellent!

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be patient getting used to them. I would start with the regular sized complys and then go from there.

thanks.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

on the contrary i think you should skip the ipod eq settings altogether, they always seem to distort the music

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would seriously consider buying a small pack of Shure olives. Avoid a separate shipment. (since the Westones come with the Comply but not the olives...) It seems that most people prefer one or the other...

I don't know what size I am though. I'd rather get the complys that come with it. Assuming I prefer foam tips at all, I'll consider olives when it becomes time to replace them.

As for eq, I'll try it and see what it sounds like. Chances are I won't keep it.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 25
To me, while the Complys and Olives are okay, the modded tri-flanges deliver the sweetest sound, best isolation, etc. Just my view, and I have tried pretty much every tip imaginable, including the Future Sonics foamies, which aren't bad either.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on the contrary i think you should skip the ipod eq settings altogether, they always seem to distort the music

Can't imagine doing that with any IEM?? So flat, blah and lifeless.

I can't stand distortion and never listen/eq at distorted levels.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Can't imagine doing that with any IEM?? So flat, blah and lifeless.

I can't stand distortion and never listen/eq at distorted levels.

With my M6, I used to crank up the bass on the 5 pro's. With the 3s, I put everything to 0, eq off. If I turn the bass up it handles it well, but its too much.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #11 of 25
mms i think if you listen critically to the ends of the notes when the ipod eq is on, there's this 'zi' sound as opposed to a rounded note, and there always seems to be a greater background noise when the eq is on.

thats why there're different earphones/ amplifiers, i think they're a far more effective 'eq' so to speak. the sa6 even has a physical eq built in! haha :p

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #12 of 25
Yes, where the For Sale section of this forum is...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 25
W3 is surely a right choice!
I didn't wanna get the IE8 because of the price difference across the universe~WHY??? isn't that the same thing? why USA cost twice as much~not balanced, not buying~lol~
W3 is the best I have ever had, the true 3 way is definitely a new listening experience! but I would suggest you to use EQ, westone 3 is pretty sensitive to the EQ and it makes the sound much refined to the music to you are listening to... I never found any distortions...

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 25
Remember Westone's are a further 33% more expensive over here in Europe. While in America the IE8's are more expensive. Its just the way of the pond.

Here IE8 = £195
W3 = £300

In the States the reverse occurs, its all due to suppliers to the continent, Senn are native to Europe, Westone to America.

I can forsee a much larger number of IE8's in Europe and a larger number of W3's in America, its just the way the pond goes.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W3 is surely a right choice!
I didn't wanna get the IE8 because of the price difference across the universe~WHY??? isn't that the same thing? why USA cost twice as much~not balanced, not buying~lol~
W3 is the best I have ever had, the true 3 way is definitely a new listening experience! but I would suggest you to use EQ, westone 3 is pretty sensitive to the EQ and it makes the sound much refined to the music to you are listening to... I never found any distortions...

i not gonna waist the time explaining the price difference again. refer to the IE8 thread.

anyways the the OP from what i hear the W3 are great though i don't believe all the hype around them. which is settling down now after the mass hysteria right after their release.

the bass adjuster doesn't click or anything and the gains and losses aren't tremendous. i strongly suggest you don't dismiss them because of that. the IE8 are one of the better IEMs available on the market today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back