I've Got $150, Help me choose an amp?
Mar 22, 2006 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

kevin1592

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, well I want an amp that compliments the Sennheiser HD-555. It has to be at the most $150 + shipping. It has to have a good battery life, and the option of a ac power supply is always a plus
icon10.gif
Its not going to be used outside that much, but I would like to have that option, so I'm looking for it to be 'transportable'. I have no idea what all those specifications means, so if someone would like to enlighten me, that would be very much appreciated. Other than that, it should be able to withstand a few bumbs and drops. And thats it. Any suggestion that you guys give me will be looked into. Oh, and please no used suggestions.

Thanks guys!
Kevin

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 40
Thanks SilverPiolet, and Jrosenth for your recommendations! I will add them to my list. Just to let you guys know, if I must, then I will up my budget to $200, BUT only if that $200 includes the amp, an AC power supply (which I now feel is a must), and a mini to mini cable. If anyone can think of anything that fits that tight budget, or if you can recommend something from my list of amps, that would be appreicated.

My List of Possible Amps
PA2V2
HeadRoom's total airhead
Xin's SuperMicro
Xin's SuperMini (only if it goes on sale)
Z-Audio Mu
Portaphile X3
Portable Pimeta
Little Dot Micro+

Thats all I can think of right now, so please recommend! Thanks

Kevin

Mar 23, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth
Try the new headroom and report back.

$150 - battery powered and can use ac - gain selection for use of most phones and good reviews so to date - tough to go wrong.

I got one this week with a 6" mini to mini cardas IC and the AC power adapter for 179
smily_headphones1.gif
Bought it on impulse because I didn't know where to get anything else lol. I'm not disappointed at all though.

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 40
You could always consider a firestone amp in that price range too, which would allow you to upgrade the power supply later.

I'm seriously considering buying a new headroom, here's why:
fantastic customer service
30 day return
professional looking - not DYI-ish (important I've found for airport security)
head phone jack on front, input jack on back (I know it's a small thing but in practice it means that it's really helpful to keep wires straight and neat and tough to find unless the input jack is a full RCA)
small
flat
descent amp before now with better bang for the buck including addressing the down sides (impedence, pots, etc.)
impedence swith (can use it with most cans)
x-feed (I'm not a huge fan of it but a nice feature to have - I do wonder if it's the older version that wasn't so hot or the new one they are using on the Micro line - any info anyone?)
AC and battery capability
Easy access to the batteries (no, I don't want to have to use a screw driver to change them or loosing a thumb screw)
setimated high resale value (if you ended up not liking after 30 days should be able to get most of the cash back)
plastic (I know that anodized metal is cool but it scratches too, especially if used portably)
Tyll seems like he's a hell of a guy

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 40
Hey Guys, I just talked to MisterX and he told me he could build me a Pimeta for $220, including shipping and paypal fees. (Ouch! my wallet hurts
eek.gif
). Anyways, here are the specs that he sent me, if you guys think that there is something better, please recommend.

MisterX PIMETA specs.

Tangent's PIMETA Circuit Board
Burr Brown OPA627 opamps, Left & Right channels (socketed)
Burr brown OPA627 opamp, ground channel (socketed)
5 BUF634 output buffers. (socketed)
(two each for left and right channels, one for ground channel)
4 Elna Cerafine 470uf 25v power supply capacitors
Hand matched Vishay/Dale 1% metal film resistors
Wima 6.8uf reservoir capacitors
JFET Cascode class A bias
R11 resistors added to optimize buffer bandwidth
Cardas CTFA RCA input jacks
Re'an ¼” headphone jack
Alps "Blue Velvet" 50k potentiometer
Kilo international silver knob with soft touch rings
Mountain mini toggle switch (front or rear mounted)
Closed circuit 2.5 mm locking DC power jack
(automagicly turns off the batteries when something is plugged into it)
Reverse polarity protection
You choice of LED color
Gain set to individual requirements (5 in this case)
Silver Hammond 1455 enclosure (4.72”L x 4.062”W x 2.09”H)
Bulgin dual 9 volt battery trays.
AC power is provided by an external wall wart.

So I think thats good, but I don't know much about amps, so if you could tell me, that would really help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin1592
Hey Guys, I just talked to MisterX and he told me he could build me a Pimeta for $220, including shipping and paypal fees. (Ouch! my wallet hurts
eek.gif
). Anyways, here are the specs that he sent me, if you guys think that there is something better, please recommend.

MisterX PIMETA specs.

Tangent's PIMETA Circuit Board
Burr Brown OPA627 opamps, Left & Right channels (socketed)
Burr brown OPA627 opamp, ground channel (socketed)
5 BUF634 output buffers. (socketed)
(two each for left and right channels, one for ground channel)
4 Elna Cerafine 470uf 25v power supply capacitors
Hand matched Vishay/Dale 1% metal film resistors
Wima 6.8uf reservoir capacitors
JFET Cascode class A bias
R11 resistors added to optimize buffer bandwidth
Cardas CTFA RCA input jacks
Re'an ¼” headphone jack
Alps "Blue Velvet" 50k potentiometer
Kilo international silver knob with soft touch rings
Mountain mini toggle switch (front or rear mounted)
Closed circuit 2.5 mm locking DC power jack
(automagicly turns off the batteries when something is plugged into it)
Reverse polarity protection
You choice of LED color
Gain set to individual requirements (5 in this case)
Silver Hammond 1455 enclosure (4.72”L x 4.062”W x 2.09”H)
Bulgin dual 9 volt battery trays.
AC power is provided by an external wall wart.

So I think thats good, but I don't know much about amps, so if you could tell me, that would really help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Thats a very nice PIMETA, and fits perfectly within the "Transportable" category. Although I doubt those BurrBrowns, in addition to being biased into class A, will be too friendly to the batteries.

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 40
I've had good luck with the Xenos 3HA, thanks mainly to its desirable ability to vary treble and bass - a feature that, strangely, can't be found on many other amps at all. A good sound, with strong flexibility. Power use is respecable, thanks to four AA batteries.

The Portaphiles offer a nice range of options, especially the V2. I've not heard them, but many say they're quite good.

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

30 day return
head phone jack on front, input jack on back (I know it's a small thing but in practice it means that it's really helpful to keep wires straight and neat and tough to find unless the input jack is a full RCA)
small
flat
descent amp before now with better bang for the buck including addressing the down sides (impedence, pots, etc.)
impedence swith (can use it with most cans)
x-feed (I'm not a huge fan of it but a nice feature to have - I do wonder if it's the older version that wasn't so hot or the new one they are using on the Micro line - any info anyone?) Yes, the new versions are MUCH better. I don't like the Crossfeed on my old Airhead, but my Micro Crossfeed is practically on all the time
Easy access to the batteries (no, I don't want to have to use a screw driver to change them or loosing a thumb screw)
setimated high resale value (if you ended up not liking after 30 days should be able to get most of the cash back)
plastic (I know that anodized metal is cool but it scratches too, especially if used portably)

I think you've covered the pro's pretty well!

The only thing you forgot is that the Airhead has TWO headphone jacks, great for sharing music with your girlfriend....how romantic
tongue.gif

This new Airhead is supposed to target the AE-1's/Hornet sonically and come close to the Micro Module in sound.

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

30 day return
small
flat
impedence swith (can use it with most cans) It's actually a gain switch, but you are right, you can use it with a wide variety of cans
x-feed (I'm not a huge fan of it but a nice feature to have - I do wonder if it's the older version that wasn't so hot or the new one they are using on the Micro line - any info anyone?) Yes, the new versions are MUCH better. I don't like the Crossfeed on my old Airhead, but my Micro Crossfeed is practically on all the time

I think you've covered the pro's pretty well!

The only thing you forgot is that the Airhead has TWO headphone jacks, great for sharing music with your girlfriend....how romantic
tongue.gif

This new Airhead is supposed to target the AE-1's/Hornet sonically and come close to the Micro Module in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back