I've flunked searching (balanced hd-580's)
Apr 1, 2007 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bazile

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sorry folks;

I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but I haven't found a topic about the sound of balanced 580's or 600's, or even if it can be done. I'd love both comment's on the sound and or hints on searching. I couldn't find how to add "ands" to search..i.e. balanced and cable and hd-600 or hd-580. Thanks for the help.

Bazile

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry folks;

I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but I haven't found a topic about the sound of balanced 580's or 600's, or even if it can be done. I'd love both comment's on the sound and or hints on searching. I couldn't find how to add "ands" to search..i.e. balanced and cable and hd-600 or hd-580. Thanks for the help.

Bazile

Ofcourse they can be done..Cardas sells balanced 650 cables that can be used with the 580/600. Alex, Larry & drew can make you some too..

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ofcourse they can be done..Cardas sells balanced 650 cables that can be used with the 580/600. Alex, Larry & drew can make you some too..

Thank you Sir;

Is it safe to assume that re-cableing will alter my 580's sound in a similar way it does the 650's? It will still be the same Senn sound, just a better version? Thanks.

Bazile

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Thank you Sir;

Is it safe to assume that re-cableing will alter my 580's sound in a similar way it does the 650's? It will still be the same Senn sound, just a better version? Thanks.

Bazile

I liked the 600's better balanced though I'd have to wonder if trading up to the 650's wouldn't be a better approach.

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked the 600's better balanced though I'd have to wonder if trading up to the 650's wouldn't be a better approach.

From what I've been able to read,the 580's (ok, perhaps modded) and the 600's are very same sounding....could I talk you into citing the 600 balanced threads..please?
I have to admit I don't get to trade up a lot..both my son's love music.. and make a lot less then me...and when my wife asks "shouldn't you..."I say yes dear and they get my old stuff. Thanks.

Bazile

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Thank you Sir;

Bazile

From my experience, going balanced increases the positive characteristics of the headphones, & can 'tweak' some of the phones inherent weaknesses like the SA5000s transparent bass...My SA5000, single ended, were detailed, fast, & clear.. Going balanced raised those traits to a new level.. I doubt balancing your 580 will change their house sound..BUT since I never heard the 580s balanced It's pure speculation on my part.. But I never heard of a case where balancing a headphone made them sound worse..

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 10
My friend just got back from the Chicago meet and he reported that he felt HD600s balanced sounded better to him than HD650s balanced since the HD650s got too boomy/bottom heavy for him.

Makes me wonder if I should trade back down or just get a bottom deprecating cable like the Moon Audio Silver Dragon v2....

choices choices.

And yeah the 580s are said to be remarkably close to the 600s so I'm sure balanced would be $$$.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 10
If you've already got a balanced amp/source why not give it a try. All you have to do is reterminate (?) the 650's cable with XLRs - you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on cardas/zu etc. If you can't do it yourself I'm sure someone on here would be willing to do it for you.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 10
you can buy a balanced senn cable from headroom for $99. it can be used with the 580/600/650, so if you ever upgrade you are all set.
icon10.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can buy a balanced senn cable from headroom for $99. it can be used with the 580/600/650, so if you ever upgrade you are all set.
icon10.gif

They are male connectors ONLY though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back