I've decided to start living life (SACD!!)
Oct 30, 2003 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Geek

Headphoneus Supremus
In other words, I'm ordering a boatload of SACDs per the excellent recommendations on head-fi and my personal tastes. On my list so far:

1. Bill Evans: Waltz for Debby SACD

2. John Coltrane: Blue Train SACD

3. Ars Antiqua Austria - Music and Dance from the Viennese Court SACD

I ordered the first two because our music theory teacher is obsessed with Evans and Coltrane and I want to blow him away with my audio rig. The latter is a recording of some laid-back viennese sonatas, my kind of music.

What I am looking for now are ten recordings which you guys who are experienced with SACD believe to be CRITICAL to an SACD lover's collection. I am interested in basically all styles of music: Classical (any period, any instrument, any ensemble, including vocals), jazz (any style), rock, hard rock, metal, electronic music, funk, fusion, new age. . .I just want what you guys think are the ESSENTIALS.

I have $200 in my checking account which must be spent!

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 30, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 7
A Love Supreme, John Coltrane
Bach Arias, Angelika Kirchschlager
Solo, YoYo Ma
Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
NightClub, Patricia Barber
Cafe Blue, Patricia Barber
Tchaikovsky/Mendelssohn, Violin Concerto, Issac Stern
Abraxas, Santana
Requiem, Verdi, Eugene Ormandy
Symphonies 5 & 7, Beethoven, Carlos Kleiber

Cheers,
W

Oct 30, 2003 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 7
Check the SACD mini-reviews thread.

My personal favourite SACD that I've heard yet is this one:

B00008J2QM.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Britten: Four Sea Interludes
Holst: Planets

Piazzolla on SACD is also a must (although I was not as overly impressed with the orchestral works as I was with the more usual ensemble work with Bandoneon).

Also, those two Hilary Hahn SACD's I recently got were very nice.

On a more modern note, the Tubular Bells master proves that SACD can, in fact, reproduce transients!

Oct 30, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 7
Excellent ideas. I was actually thinking along the same lines about the Dark Side of the Moon SACD: I really want to get that album, since I like the CD origional so much.

I'm going to go looking for those Hillary Hahn SACDS. I enjoy her interpretation of unaccompanied bach, it is very romantic and effortless.

Per the advice given here I will also look at the SACD thread again: there just seemed to be so many choices available.

Wilson,

I will look into those titles, especially the Mendelssohn and Coltrane titles.

Thanks everyone so far for the advice.

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 30, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Floyd--DSOTM

Roxy Music-- Avalon (now available domestically for cheap). Classic romantic album, physically impossible to dislike, THE reference SACD in my collection.

Peter Gabriel-- Up (stunning sound quality, amazing mix, a feast for your ears)

Bob Dylan-- Blonde on Blonde (new version), and Blood on the tracks. His two masterpieces, flawless.

There are so many more great ones I could reco, but that's a good start. As someone mentioned, check out the sticky thread above, you'll see some more full reviews.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks, everyone.

I have almost no money left now and will spend the remainder on some of the above mentioned titles.

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back