I've compared the Etymotic ER4P to Ultimate Ears UE5c!
Jul 12, 2005 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

random person

100+ Head-Fier
I just came back from Macworld in Boston where I was finally able to demo the ER4P vs my Ultimate Ears UE5c. Several of you have PMd me, hoping I could eventually try out the ER4P and comment on the differences between these two phones. And now I can!

Interestingly, I actually met Mead Killion, the President of Etymotics. Very cool guy, knowledgable, and dismissive of all things non-Etymotic. He had neither seen nor tested Ultimate Ears custom products and stuck my own in his ears! Naturally, not a good fit, but he wants me to send mine to him for testing. Fat chance!

Anyway I did check the ER4Ps on some reference classical, trance, and rock cuts, using my own Ipod, no amp. Clearly this was not an extended audition, so the canalphones did not have the opportunity to "grow" on me. Also, my seal was not great, although decent enough if I held them in with my hands to simulate a better seal.

My thoughts? Compared to the UE5c, very disappointing. There is some nice detail going on with the Etys, plus a clarity in the high end that can be nice on some cuts but downright shrieky in others. A person next to me was auditioning them at the same time and we both uttered the same word when we removed them from our ears: "Harsh!" For me, relative to the UE5c they were fatiguing, harsh, and thin (I don't know what the other auditioner's point of reference was.) Also (big surprise here) they have no bass slam at all, rendering Trance cuts virtually unrecognizable, and frankly unlistenable. Listening to something like Phoenix' "Everything is Everything" from the Alphabetical album -- yikes, there's no warmth, fullness, power, slam -- well, essentially, there's no bass!

Mind you, I can see where if they were your reference phones you might find other phones unlistenable in some ways -- they are quite different. But I really wouldn't call them neutral in any sense -- they clearly favor the high-end at the expense of mids and bass. I can see how over time they might win over some, especially classical fans. But I must admit I found them unengaging and artificial-sounding, and from an overall perspective absolutely not in the same league as the Ultimate Ears UE5c either in terms of faithful music reproduction or even detail. Of course, the UE5c are much more expensive, custom fitting, and dual-driver to boot. But they are, as a result, to my ears much more musical and exciting to listen to, regardless of genre.

One thing's for sure -- these are entirely different beasts. As one of the few who can compare them both, I'd have to say that I think they really shouldn't be compared at all. The Etys may be king of the single-driver canalphones, but they are no match for the UE5c dual-driver design, unless you have certain specific sound signature preferences that favor the high end of the frequency spectrum.

Caveats of course: custom fit vs universal fit, time with the product, and so on. That said, I heard enough to know that I didn't need to hear more. These are not subtle differences -- they are completely different beasts.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
Also, my seal was not great, although decent enough if I held them in with my hands to simulate a better seal.

This can't be a good way to evaluate IEM's. Seal is everything to IEM's, especially the Etymotics. What if the guy from Etymotic said your UE5c sounded bad. It wouldn't carry much weight because they don't fit his ears.

A proper evaluation of any IEM can not be done it 5 minutes of listening with a poor seal.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 47
OK, but his evaluation of the ER4Ps sounds reasonable, especially considering the sound signature of the UE5c (bassy), and fits with general comments posted around here!

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 47
If you get shrill with the Etymotics it is because of bad equipment or bad program material.

The Etymotic are never shrill, unless something in the signal path is shrill, and then the Etymotics accurately portray this shrillness as they accurately portray anything in the signal path.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsrenduro
This can't be a good way to evaluate IEM's. Seal is everything to IEM's, especially the Etymotics. What if the guy from Etymotic said your UE5c sounded bad. It wouldn't carry much weight because they don't fit his ears.

A proper evaluation of any IEM can not be done it 5 minutes of listening with a poor seal.

Actually, he DID say they sounded bad -- or at least that they didn't have a flat frequency curve. I believe he was just listening to tones out of a PC -- not music, but freqency tones for just a minute or so. Then we had this discussion about there being more to how things sound than what their frequency curve is (or at least, that was my point, anyway.) In any case I suspect I got a better seal out of the universal fit Etys than he possibly could have gotten out of custom UEs that were custom-fitted for someone else! And naturally, he believes his product is superior -- as do many headfiers. In my defense, however, I've actually heard them both.

I also hope that neither Mead nor anyone else takes any offense here. My thought was simply that because there were so few people who had heard both that it would be useful to add another data point here from someone who had. I think Etymotic Research is a fantastic company and that Mead is a true pioneer with major contributions to the audio industry. I can also understand why someone might prefer their sound signature. So please, I hope my comments can be taken in the proper spirit.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Random Person is a woman. Not he =P

Oh No! I've been outed -- YET AGAIN -- on head-fi!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 47
He might not have had a good seal, and even if he did the 27 ohm P model and the ipod together aren't going to get a whole bunch of bass anyway with the ipod's bass rolloff with low impedance phones, and it would seem even worse to someone freshly coming from something on the dark side.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
If you get shrill with the Etymotics it is because of bad equipment or bad program material.

The Etymotic are never shrill, unless something in the signal path is shrill, and then the Etymotics accurately portray this shrillness as they accurately portray anything in the signal path.

My only query in response to this would be to ask, "how long have you been listening to your Ety's?"

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 47
The problem with accusing a headphone of being sibilant or shrill, and defending it by placing the blame on the recording, is it's hard to know exactly which is the problem. Neutral exists in theory, but there's no way to know when you're hearing it. A headphone that NEVER sounds shrill or sibilant is hiding something--and at the same time a headphone that is ALWAYS shrill or sibilant clearly has a spike or two in the upper midrange somewhere. The Etymotics are in niether category, and so it is pretty much impossible to accuse them of being shrill/seriously innaccurate. My experience with the ER-4P has been that it has a slight upper-midrange boost, a slight upper-bass boost and a severe rolloff below that. The ER-4S fixes these problems and sounds pretty damn good to me. At worst, it makes bad recordings sound bad. Niether is a portable headphone though.

jesse

Jul 13, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells

My point is, my love affair with the ER4 came with their stunning detail - and fizzled with their excessive shrillness. The only variant IMO is time. Given enough exposure to their sound sig, no matter the source, they begin to wear on you. Now, albeit my sources are 100% portable so my observations my be slanted. But that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

...love 'em at first....

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 47
I'd be willing to admit the ER4's are a bit lean on bass slam, but one thing is for certain, they are not shrill. If you are coming from a warm sounding headphone, or a lot of processed studio mixes, it can sound bright. But with the proper source material...I'm talking direct miked material, their frequency response is actually quite natural, and actually quite representative of the source in both the mids and highs with only a hint of brightness.

When one is on one side of the fence (warm or bassy sounding) headphones, and then move to the other side of the headphone (slightly bright), everything will sound fatiguing and shrill.

Secondly, when I finally got a proper seal with my Ety's (using the slightly upwards insertion technique), it not only affected the bass, but the whole frequency curve was shifted down. The highs smoothened right out and balanced right in with the mids. I couldn't believe the difference it made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back