I've been scammed - What now?
Jun 11, 2015 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

galacticsoap

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I think it's time for me to take a break from online buying and selling. For the second time in two months I've ended up on the wrong side of an online sale.

I'll save you the details of the first experience, but the second and most recent issue is linked to the purchase of this Sony PHA-3:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/770548/sony-pha-3-portable-amplifier#post_11679431

I'll contact the other bloke who looks to have been scammed as well.

However, aside from opening up a dispute in PayPal and linking to the classified add in question alongside some context re: the user being banned is there anything I can do?

Am I right to hold some very low hopes of a refund with PayPal? 

Thanks
GS

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 7
Since there is documentation that he did in fact scam you, PayPal should be happy to help.

It would be best to explain the situation to them on the phone. You'll get better help that way.

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 7
  Since there is documentation that he did in fact scam you, PayPal should be happy to help.

It would be best to explain the situation to them on the phone. You'll get better help that way.

WOW - that's good to know. Here's hoping it plays out that way. The only real proof I have of the scam is the moderator notes in his Headfi profile. I'm concerned I'm the victim of something a bit more sophisticated than what I understand. 

Initially I sent him the funds via the usual "Pay for Goods or Services" option in PayPal. He refunded the Payment and sent me a PayPal invoice (from a slightly different email address), which I then paid. In the PayPal invoice he clearly mentions that the Payment is for a "used Sony PHA-3 amplifier in mint condition and includes PayPal and Shipping Fees" however the transaction details of my payment show no record of his particular merchant note re: the PHA-3 

What's the rough ETA when dealing with PayPal on stuff like this? 

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #5 of 7

Anywhere from the same day to weeks. That's why you want to make everything clear to them on the phone.

Thank you again mate. UGH - I feel like such an idiot. 0 Feedback - I should have known better. 
frown.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 7
So , I also got scammed too :frowning2: hope you do not mind my sharing
scammers come up with new ways regularly , so do not feel bad
My story : I sold an item at the end of Apriil, shipped to PayPal address with signature confirmation and insurance , got a dispute from PayPal just yesterday ,funds withdrew from my balance , the buyer had used stolen credit card to purchase my item
Call to PayPal and they will investigate
Sorry to hear but sadly there always will be a few looking to scam others
My guy /gal was banned before I even realized I was scammed, guessing there were other victims
I have dealt with members with zero to littke feedbacks so I will not use only that to judge
Best of luck

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 7
I just hate to hear this kind of stuff. Our species sucks. There are probably dozens of buy/sell transactions happening every day that run smooth as silk, but then issues like this come up, and the whole concept can go down in flames. I don't want that to happen to the head-fi community!! We can't let the scumbags in our gene pool win!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back