I've been ripped by a Head-Fi member. Dissappointed.
May 15, 2004 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

Orpheus

Headphoneus Supremus
hi.

i purchased an expensive modded headamp from overseas, in asia, maybe about 4 months ago. at first everything was fun--the guy was very accomodating to my needs, and seemed really polite and nice. well, the amp arrives screwed up. the packaging was adequate though. but when i picked up the amp, i could here things rattling in there. well, i plugged it in, and it sounded crappy, though there was audio coming through. i opened it up, and all the modded caps have broken off the point-to-point wiring, and off the PCB.

the big blackgate power supply caps were originally glued to the case with some cheap glue--the glue had disintegrated into some white powder, which did not hold at all. the signal caps were also hefty, and were not secured in any fasion, and of course broke off too.

well, anyway, i told the guy, and he told me i had to contact insurance through the US post office. it had already been 1-2 months since i had the unit--i forgot why it took so long for him to tell me this. so, i was pissed that he wouldn't refund me, but i had not choice. so, anyway, i went to the post office, and filed the claim. they shipped my broken unit from CA to New York i believe for evaluation. then it comes back one month later with a note attached that this claim was supposed to have been filed by the sender!!!!!!!!! incredible. i was so pissed that the USPS lady didn't tell me that......

anyway, so i get back with the guy, and he tells me he told the appropriate officials of what happened. maybe 3-4 weeks later, he tells me he wants to resolve this issue:

"Hi Dean, I hope to settle this matter soon as it has dragged on long enough.
You could either send the amp back to me and I will have it fixed like the way Carlo did in his mods with tapes and cable ties and sent it back to you.
The other option is that I can refund you 15% on the amount you paid which is about US$100 to have the amp fixed in the US."

--YEAH RIGHT. there no space in there for you to afix the caps correctly. it cannot be done. so, i'm gonna send you the only thing left of my investment, and trust you'll send it back to me??? what, you think i'm an idiot?--okay, guess i am. stupid question.

i'm like NO WAY. i paid $675 for a working amp, in the condition described. it is the seller's responsibility to deliver me such an amp. if he can't, he should refund my money. after all, i ask nothing i wouldn't do myself. yes, if it were me, he would have had his money back long time ago.

just think: i was originally gonna sell this amp immediately, cause i already bought my Grace. but now, if i sell it, it's gonna get junked around again, and i'll have the same problem that the seller had--mailing a potentially faulty piece of equipment. i can't do that--it's my honor at stake.

i also gave him the benefit of doubt at the beginning--i could have filed claim with Paypal and they would have taken my money back for me if i had done it within the first month. but i called Paypal, and they said they can't do anything now.

so, here i am, stuck with an amp that's broken. yeah, i can get it fixed, but i can't sell it--it's just gonna get wrecked again.

the seller has not replied to my numerous emails for 3-4 weeks, so i assume he's just ignoring me now.

5 months of waiting for his reply. i trusted him. i hate people like this.

May 15, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 75
Post this, along with the neam of the guy and all the pertinent details in the feedback forum. This is unacceptable behavior by a seller, and the rest of us need to be warned about people like this. Poor workmanship and decisions like he made need to be voices here to protect the rest.

May 15, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 75
and here's a little interesting bit:

i even posted an Ebay ad before the amp even arrive in my hands!--complete with many pictures and html. took me 3 hours to make that ad. cause i've already spent my money on the Grace, i needed to have the cash back from the amp as soon as possible.

well, luckily i got to cancel the Ebay ad without any problems before anyone made a bid.

but man... i sure could have used the money.

stupid.

(I'm leaving his name out for now. I'm hoping he would see this thread and realize what he's doing. Anyway, the seller can be found out by some hints here quite easily. There aren't that many overseas amps sold in the past 1/2 year costing around $700 (he said $100 was 15% of the price paid.) Plus, he mentioned that he was gonna try to fix it Carlo style, so you kinda know what kind of amp this is.

But again, kinda hoping the seller would realize how much i've lost in this deal and offer to refund me.)

May 15, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 75
Hey,I'm sorry that happened to you man. Was the seller the amp builder or was the amp made by someone else? It sounds like the amp was a junk and the seller may have been less at fault than you think. I'm not trying to let the guy off the hook but perhaps if he did'nt actually build the amp he might be as out as you are. The amp sounds like a real POS if it had glued caps and they broke off during transit.

May 15, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 75
Sorry to learn of this Dean
frown.gif
These people make me really sick and they need to be exposed.

All the best.

Mike.

May 15, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 75
Definitely post in the feedback forum.

May 15, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 75
Sorry to hear that
frown.gif
Please post in the feedback forum when you feel the time is right.

May 16, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 75
So I guess you're not sending them one of your cds?
600smile.gif
All kidding aside please post in the feedback forum

May 16, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 75
Quote:

Hey,I'm sorry that happened to you man. Was the seller the amp builder or was the amp made by someone else?

thanks man... actually, it's a modded version of a popular commercial amp. and the guy selling it to me actually had his friend mod it originally.
Quote:

if he did'nt actually build the amp he might be as out as you are.

well, yes, he if he returns me my money, he'll have to fund the shipping back overseas, and plus fix it on his own. so yeah, he'll be losing money in the end. but you know, it's not my fault. i never blamed anything on him in my correspondance with him either. i always said it was his reponsibility though, and that's different from saying it's his fault.

i mean, am i asking anything unreasonable???--i think i'm perfectly right to ask for a FULL (shipping, paypal fees) refund, since i didn't get what was advertised. i don't see why i should pay $700 only to receive unresellable broken crap. it's just not right.

and seriously, if the situation was reversed, i would return his money in a heartbeat. it's just the right thing to do.

but about posting in the feedback... it won't really help. i mean, i will, just in case he wants to sell again... but it's not gonna help me recoup my loss. and a couple months ago, $700 would have made a HUGE difference in the amount of stress i had. i have the money now... but man, i could have done without this incident.

sigh...

oh well, hopefully he'll feel guilty soon if he ever sees this....
rolleyes.gif

May 16, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 75
I guess the question I'm asking and the suggestion I'm making is....was the amp damaged in transit due to poor construction/build quality? What amp was it? Was the amp just packed poorly? Was the amp damaged when it left the previous owner? If the amp is simply a POS with stuff like glued caps then you can expect that it will fall apart in shipping regardless of how well it was packed. I speak from experience here. I really do hope you get this worked out.

May 16, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 75
Quote:

if he did'nt actually build the amp he might be as out as you are.

if he didnt build the amp he should have find the person responsible for the amp, just becasue he didnt build it dosent mean he has to lie about the condition just to get more money

May 16, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProFingerSk8er
if he didnt build the amp he should have find the person responsible for the amp, just becasue he didnt build it dosent mean he has to lie about the condition just to get more money

I'm not sure that happened and that's why I'm asking specific questions about if it was damaged in transit. We should'nt jump to conclusions before we know the facts.

May 16, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 75
Quote:

I guess the question I'm asking and the suggestion I'm making is....was the amp damaged in transit due to poor construction/build quality?

actually, if it were not shipped, the amp would have been fine. the soldering's very well done. excellent work inside. however, not securing the caps correctly was the only cause of damage. so, ultimately, yeah, damage was imminent.
Quote:

What amp was it?

sugden headmaster, with remote Quote:

Was the amp just packed poorly?

packed in original shipping box, with a little additional padding. packaging was fine.
Quote:

Was the amp damaged when it left the previous owner?

the amp left his hands in perfect shape, i'm sure. he wasn't trying to cheat me originally.
Quote:

If the amp is simply a POS with stuff like glued caps then you can expect that it will fall apart in shipping regardless of how well it was packed.

yup. doesn't matter how he packs it--it would break. the caps were HUGE. there's no way the solder joints to the PCB were going to hold. and the glue was innapropriate.
Quote:

just becasue he didnt build it dosent mean he has to lie about the condition just to get more money

he didn't lie actually. i am 100% sure when it left his hands it was perfect. but again, it's still his reponsibility to get me an amp in advertised condition right? it's not my fault he didn't secure the caps correctly. probably ain't his fault really either--but it IS HIS responsibility.

..................................you out there man? just give me my money back and money to ship it back to you. then i'll be fine, and i'll forgive everything.

May 16, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
he didn't lie actually. i am 100% sure when it left his hands it was perfect. but again, it's still his reponsibility to get me an amp in advertised condition right? it's not my fault he didn't secure the caps correctly. probably ain't his fault really either--but it IS HIS responsibility.

Er, no, that's not his responsibility, that's the post office's. If he didn't purchase insurance, that was foolish on both your parts -- on his for not realizing it was necessary and on yours, for not demanding it. But if something is damaged in transit it is NOT the seller's responsibility.

- Chris

May 16, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Er, no, that's not his responsibility, that's the post office's. If he didn't purchase insurance, that was foolish on both your parts -- on his for not realizing it was necessary and on yours, for not demanding it. But if something is damaged in transit it is NOT the seller's responsibility.

- Chris

Unless the seller packed it inappropriately, of course...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back