I've been ripped by a Head-Fi member. Dissappointed.
May 17, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #46 of 75
You guys need to chill.
smily_headphones1.gif

I spoke with Orpheus, and I'm going to fix the structural problems with the amp as soon as my school gets out. He gets a working, shippable amp, so everyone's happy.

May 17, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #47 of 75
thanks eric.

but not totally happy. i still don't like the fact that the dude i purchased this amp from is ignoring me. i mean, heck, and it's still coming out of my pocket to ship to you and have you do the work, and is costing us our time. it still really isn't rectified. but whatever, what goes around comes around... he'll get it in his butt someday i hope.

and thanks again eric. i'll keep in touch.

May 17, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #48 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
You guys need to chill.
smily_headphones1.gif

I spoke with Orpheus, and I'm going to fix the structural problems with the amp as soon as my school gets out. He gets a working, shippable amp, so everyone's happy.

You are a gentleman eric....my hats off, thanks in the name of head-fi.....

May 17, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #49 of 75
This is really a tough call, as the problem really seems to be the person who originally modded the amp. They should have anticipated it being shipped at some point. Packaging was fine, and it's not really the shipping company's fault that it broke, so really, claiming the insurance would almost be a scam.

However, I agree that Orpheus is not in any way at fault and should receive what he paid for or his money back. It is the seller's responsibility to insure what he is shipping is built well enough for shipment.

The seller should have bought enough insurance and immediately refunded Orpheus's money while he dealt with the shipping company.

Since that apparently won't happen, I think there is potential for another compromise:

Orpheus, if this guy ever gets in touch with you again, why not request that he pays for shipping to/from Eric and Eric's labor? Or maybe you and the seller could at least split those costs?

May 17, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #50 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by radrd
This is really a tough call, as the problem really seems to be the person who originally modded the amp. They should have anticipated it being shipped at some point. Packaging was fine, and it's not really the shipping company's fault that it broke, so really, claiming the insurance would almost be a scam.

However, I agree that Orpheus is not in any way at fault and should receive what he paid for or his money back. It is the seller's responsibility to insure what he is shipping is built well enough for shipment.

The seller should have bought enough insurance and immediately refunded Orpheus's money while he dealt with the shipping company.

Since that apparently won't happen, I think there is potential for another compromise:

Orpheus, if this guy ever gets in touch with you again, why not request that he pays for shipping to/from Eric and Eric's labor? Or maybe you and the seller could at least split those costs?

This guy is ignoring him, I don't think he will show up, OTOH I don't think eric will charge Dean for labor while fixing the amp, or am I wrong and I'm reading too much between lines??? At least, I wish to have the knowledge to do it myself that way, Dean has being a nice guy around, honest and very responsible with all his sales, why not giving him a hand now, when he need it???

May 17, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #52 of 75
I think some of you got the wrong idea of shipment insurance.
Part of my job at UPS Germany is to decide who's getting insurance refund.
In such a case,LOL, no way.This is a poorly engineered prototype, not insurable.
BTW, you can be sure the seller hasn't done anything regarding insurance refund, he can't, he has no item to inspect.
5 months ago........, forget about that.
And.....don't rely too much on shipment insurance, it's hard to sqeeze money out of such an insurance (except of total loss).Better rely on extreme well packaging.That's your best insurance.

May 17, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #53 of 75
thanks for your real-life perspective.

but actually, different companies work differently. i once filed a claim with Canadian Post and they never requested to see the item in question. i just sent them the bill, they sent me $270. no questions asked. pretty nice huh?

it all depends. and the insurance claim is still arguable. though the item is perfect on the exterior, there was a dent in the box, so one could say it was mishandled. though i'm sure it wouldn't matter how hard they hit the thing--it'll still break even if treated like crystal.

anyway, we would never know, cause the seller refuses to answer my emails.

May 18, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #54 of 75
UPS treating a package well? That's a good one.
rolleyes.gif

I double box everything. I have had numerous packages busted open left on my door step.

Great to hear that Eric is helping you out, Dean. Now you have to let him stay at your place. Of course a few days notice at least this time would help.
tongue.gif

Did you post your feedback for this ******, btw?

-Ed

May 18, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #55 of 75
This guy might have intentionally ripped you off. Ever consider it? It's kinda touch to accept and quite an evil thing, but what if he just happened to have a broken amp he wanted to unload and make a serious amount of cash in a scam? It's a sad world...
frown.gif

Eric, that is VERY cool of you to do that for him! As Sovkiller said, "thanks in the name of head-fi"

May 18, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #56 of 75
I asked specific questions about this situation because I know how there are sometimes misundertsandings. We should have all learned by now that when we hear one side of these stories,we all tend to make judgements until we hear the other side and then we all come out apologizing for the harsh things we said and thought. I've been through this myself and at this point my suggestion is that Orpheus get the amp repaired and attempt to forward the repair costs to the seller to file an insurance claim. I know we still don't have the complete story,but based solely on what I know so far,this sounds like the best way to go.

May 18, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #58 of 75
I don't think it's necessarily the seller's fault that the caps broke. But I think he should be doing his best to rectify the problem, not jsut ignoring you. Maybe he has neer shipped overseas before and did not know that glue was insufficent for holding the caps in place. However, he should try and fix the problem, not bail on you.

My $0.02

May 18, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #59 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari

We need our own little escrow service. Members with good feedback acting as mediators in international deals...

Just a suggestion
rolleyes.gif

As long as no one trys to sell P-P-P-Powerbooks.
biggrin.gif

BTW, Both Steve and Bill originally ripped off IBM.

-Ed

May 18, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #60 of 75
Quote:

I know we still don't have the complete story

well, there are probably some minor details not discussed... but this is pretty much the whole thing. really. i don't think i've been misleading.

anyway, yeah tuberoller, this seems like my only option. but really, the money's not too important to me now. i'm probably not going to forward the bill to him. he makes me sick.

but thanks to ALL who have replied. agree or not, i appreciate the concern.

thank you,
dean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back