I've been ripped by a Head-Fi member. Dissappointed.
May 16, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #31 of 75
Could emailing him the link to this thread perhaps encourage him to contact you or join in the debate?...just a thought...

May 16, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #32 of 75
I don't know, personally I'm with Minya and several others on this thread. I don't think the seller is at fault here. It sounds like shipping is to blame.

May 16, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #33 of 75
there really isn't a debate though. here's the deal... i paid $675 for this. there is no way i'm gonna take a loss. why should i lose any money at all?--someone has to refund me for my loss. there's not doubt about that. so who is ultimately responsible for getting me the money?--he is. why?--cause he has to file the claim with insurance. i have already contacted USPS as noted earlier, and their headquarters clearly said the shipper had to file the claim. i already sent him copies of the returned USPS claim.

it really doesn't matter who you think is at fault. he still needs to pay me in the end. all responsibility resides with him. he controls the insurance money. he controls the shipping. he controls everything. i really have no part in this other than sending him the payment, and receiving the item. how is it that i'm reponsible for anything at all?
Quote:

I don't know, personally I'm with Minya and several others on this thread. I don't think the seller is at fault here. It sounds like shipping is to blame.

and no, clearly in actuality, shipping is not to blame. now, that doesn't mean shipping doesn't have to pay under insurance, cause yes, they are still responsible. but no, in reality, that amp was going to break no matter how careful shipping was. if you saw the amp, you'll know what i mean. it's like shipping glass roses without any liners... it's GOING TO BREAK. the shipper was naive to think that having no support for those internal structures was adequate.

but fine. you can agree with minya and some others. then what happens?--the dude sees the thread, and goes, hey, i don't have to pay the dude... some people actually support me!,... so, i get a broken amp. i lose hundreds of dollars. thanks a lot.

i have shipped hundreds of things out to audiophiles and studio owners--and some stuff much more expensive than this. i have always been responsible for my items. i make sure my customers are always happy. i don't deserve this crap.

so okay... i'm gonna fix the amp. anyone want to pay me $675 for it? i'd be happy to ship it and let it crumble in your hands. then we can start this "debate" all over again. i'd be happy to see how delighted you would be to find out you're gonna lose hundreds through no fault of your own.

May 16, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #34 of 75
It's the sellers fault, period. Especially since the seller was aware of the condition of the mod.

I heard absolutely no one claim that a turntable that was shipped improperly was in any way a buyers responsibility, or tubes that were shipped in numerous other rants here at Head-fi.

Solid state may be more durable but it is still sensitive. We are not talking about shipping stuffed animals here.

Dean, hopefully PayPal or the seller will help to come to an amicable agreement. In the meantime, hopefully Carlo can help you to repair the Sudgen properly, and working better than before.

-Ed

May 16, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #35 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Quality Guru
I have to admit that if I were an insurance agent, and new that it were negligence that resulted in the damage, I wouldn't send the client insurance money. But I'm not an insurance agent, because I hate insurance agents (their professions, not the people themselves).

The whole point of insurance, generally, is to protect against negligence. For example, your car insurance will cover repairs to your car even if negilgently back into a pole. I never really took a look at the insurance agreement for the USPS -- I suspect they are insuring only for their negligence and not for the negigence of the sender, who may not have packaged something properly. In some cases, I suspect it's a fine line or gray area between the sender's and shipping company's negligence.

May 16, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #36 of 75
Dean:
I know that is a bad moment for you, and sorry to tell you that brother, but welcome to reality, you need to fix the amp, and sell it (if case you do not like it later) is better to recoup some money, than lost all of them. OTOH he left you no other options, again, if he is ignoring you, and he is outside the US, there not much you can do about that, so my opinion is, try to fix the amp.
And I disagree with you in one thing, there should be a way of securing those caps, mail me some pics, or better post them here, and we will try to give you some ideas on how to work around with that problem, of course I know is not the ideal solution, but is the only one you have on hand, this rant will make you feel better, but your pockets will remain empty as well after....so you need to fix it, and you can, com'om man....post some pics of the damage and maybe we could help you out, and who knows maybe someone will like it after, and get it.....
Nothing personal on that, I'm not related with that person in any way, I don't even know who the hell is he, but at the end you will get something, at least....

May 16, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #37 of 75
I don't really like speculating about other people's business, but I think this occurrence is somewhat significant, not only because money was lost, but because it can serve as an event from which to learn and therefore prevent similar future problems. So that's why I've taken a stance. I just think it's really awful that the seller has simply turned his back on Dean. If we let this event go and just blame it on shipping, then if it happens again to someone else, will it be blamed on shipping again? Sellers have to take responsibility for what they sell!! The product must be in the condition advertised, and if it is not, then the loss should be compensated for by the seller. If it's not the seller's money that compensates the buyer, it is the sellers' responsibility to get the money from the party at fault. When I sold my Melos, I had it professionally packed, and I'm very glad I did. The packing dude told me that the way I was planning to pack it would have done it a great deal of damage! If for some reason the amp had arrived totally destroyed because of shipping, then it would be me, not the buyer, who would see to it that the buyer got a refund. Sure, being the seller I might lose money, but I will at no cost sell out my morals.

Luke

May 16, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #38 of 75
I do not think that we are going to make the seller change his mind and his position, it doesn't matter how much we rant, complain, or try to give Dean support, it is nice, that we all support a nice fellow like Dean in this unfortunate incident, but IME when the persons do something wrong, and keep on hiding, for weeks and weeks, not too many face the problems later with dignity, and try to work out with the buyer, at least I do not think this is the case, if in three weeks he had not show up, what to expect???
I think that we better could help Dean to fix and sell the amp...the seller, IMO, is not going to show up, and is not going to solve the problem, three weeks is time enough to offer a solution....at least this is what I think, and I'm not being pessimistic, just realistic, sorry to be so honest guys, and I wish to be wrong honestly....I wish....

May 16, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #39 of 75
Ok Dean, as I read through some of your replies, I recant my earlier position. But, as several others have suggested, it sounds as if the problem came out of ignorance on the seller's part, not a deliberate attempt to rip you off. I hope that something can be done to solve this amicably.

May 16, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #40 of 75
I agree with Sovkiller completely. I've been pretty idealistic with my rants and chances are that the seller doesn't give a crap about morality, so all of my jabbering is pointless, lol. If the amp can be mended, then I totally agree that it should be fixed it and sold and we should all stop bitching about it. I'm sure there's a way to stabilize the caps for shipping and maybe just for general use. If Dean needs help in selling the amp, I'd be happy to help if I can; and I think Carlo or someone in his league would be better suited to doing the repairs, lol.

May 16, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #41 of 75
Quote:

But, as several others have suggested, it sounds as if the problem came out of ignorance on the seller's part, not a deliberate attempt to rip you off

yes, that's true. the deal started off fine. but now he's ignoring me. and so, however he might have intended originally, he is now doing something wrong.

if he's waiting for insurance, well, he should tell me. if he can't get the money for some reason, he should also tell me. but i haven't heard nothing from him. so, he is now a burglar in my opinion.
Quote:

If Dean needs help in selling the amp, I'd be happy to help if I can; and I think Carlo or someone in his league would be better suited to doing the repairs, lol.

actually, a nice head-fi'er did email me and offer his assistance. so, i'll take him up on it eventually. but it really shouldn't have came down to this. i'm sorry it had to be this bad apple, but i'm gonna have to be a lot more weary about international deals now.

May 16, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #42 of 75
I suggest Dean to post some pics of the damage in order for us to give him some ideas, maybe one charitable DIYer could give him a hand, and fix the amp for him, he has being a very nice fellow here, and he deserves that, if the board is not broken or cracked, I think the mostly everything could be fixable, replacing maybe some of the damaged parts etc...About the stabilization of the caps there should be a solution, they could be glued or tied to any place inside the amp, maybe it will not look pretty, but will work fine, and better than stock....

edited: Ops....too late, you see there is always a good soul around...this is the best solution on hand Dean, fix it and sell it....from now on, you know be more careful at the time of the deals, specially outside the US...period...is a shame that always later on, the good fellows pay for the black sheep actions...really sad....
Good luck Dean...!!! If there is anything I could help, count with me, I'm not a DIYer, I do not need this amp, but I will be glad to help you if I can....

May 17, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #43 of 75
i think it might be really helpful to have a thread on how to best conduct a smooth transaction for both buyers and sellers. while it would be useful for all, it would especially be useful for those new to head-fi. the thread should include things like forms of payment and the risks that accompany each, insurance, shipping methods, how long one should reasonably expect a transaction should take, how to do international transactions, and what each party can do to make the other pleased with the transaction, and finally, what to do in the case that a transaction goes awry. maybe we don't need this at all, but it might be useful.

and orpheus, i hope things work out well for you...i've had a couple of bad transactions on ebay and head-fi and i know what a pain it can be...

May 17, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #44 of 75
Having a little Deja Vu for breakfast, Orpheus? Man, that sucks. If I had a sucks like that in front of me I don't know what I'd do, but the first thing I'd do is throw a big old punch in his face. I can't believe stuff like this just happens, and there's nothing you can do about it. I hope you work something out.

May 17, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #45 of 75
Thought I would chime in here, because I'm having to go through a similar proceedure because the Elco cable I recently sold wasn't working by the time it got from Illinois to Maryland and had been previously. It's going to be fun to show that it isn't actually working. >_<

I don't know if it's different for international mail, but according to USPS's regulations:

"[5-1-04] A claim may be filed by:...

...c. Either the sender or addressee, for damage or if some or all of the contents of an article are missing."

In my case I'm just having the buyer send the cable back to me, refund him fully as soon as I get the cable, and go through the process myself. I can't understand any reason why someone would try to wait to repay the purchase price or refund less just because they insured it for less. That's just bad business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back