iTunes Store Audio Quality?
Apr 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #19 of 22
I

I hope that's true, but you have to be skeptical.

So often these apple rumors start because someone somewhere thinks it would *make sense for apple to do something*, and that gets repeated until it is picked up by a blog, and then republished until it sounds like fact.

I personally think that the apparent popularity of Pono could be a great motivator for Apple to step in and say "our entire collection in high resolution, available exclusively in iTunes" launching alongside iPhones and iPod Touches with 32/64/128GB capacities

That might sell a lot of Apple devices.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #20 of 22
Yes, your right rumors are just that. But its has been mentioned that with the popularity of Neil Young's project Pono and the fact that for years he has been pounding on Apple's door to do Hi Rez......Apple may be realizing they are missing out of making more money. They are a for profit company and they are now seeing  A&K, HDtunes, iBasso, are making money.

Me, I spent $2500 in the last 30 days time on a DAP, cable, 10 DSD downloads. I am not John Q Public, but I bet they will sell a lot of HI Rez DAPS at the $800 price point, give or take. They can charge another $3.00 bucks a album and .50 cents a song for 24/96 music.  Their UI, fit and finish is 2nd to none.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #21 of 22
Yup, I definitely hear something like what you're talking about. I bought a Poulenc Clarinet sonata on itunes and the "flickering" of the clarinet is so clear it's almost like the soloist is trilling on a deactivated key. It's not an EQ issue, it's ****ty encoding. It's not acceptable and I feel I deserve my money back.

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #22 of 22
  Hello,

I have long been plagued with the iTunes Store audio quality. Normally I wouldn't bother with downloading lossless files, but I have acquired a large amount of money towards iTunes and figure that I might as well use it. However, there is something about the audio quality of some of the audio files that is driving me nuts, and it's driving me nuts because no one else seems to be hearing what I'm hearing. In certain songs, there is an odd "effect" that I seem to hear. I guess it is partially the lossy format, but there's something more to it. It's like a shimmering sound in the upper mids and highs. It's noticeable on acoustic guitar or tracks with big vocals/lots of vocals. Also, the electric guitars sound "damp" or "wet". I don't really know how to describe it.

Just to give you an example, go to the iTunes Store and preview the album Sting In The Tail by the Scorpions. It is really evident on this album, especially the electric guitars. I bought the CD version and noticed a difference right away. I can also hear it on the vocals of the Sixx AM albums, among many others.

It's really bugging me that no one else notices this, so I am beginning to wonder if it is just psychological? I have heard it through my Samsung 5.1 Surround Sound, my JVC stereo system, and of course my headphones. It just doesn't go away.

So for those that TL;DR this, do you hear a "shimmering" sound or "damp" sounding electric guitars with audio files from the iTunes Store??

I hope someone can put me out of my misery.

Thanks.

I sometimes think I can hear the same thing.  Like something doesn't sound right, and it gets more noticeable to me at louder volume.  But I also listen to a lot of classic rock, some jazz.  I think it's a lot easier to hear the artifacts on more complex music like jazz or classical.

For the prices that they charge for an album on iTunes, I would honestly just rather buy the CD.  If it's an album I really enjoy a lot, I take the time to seek out the well-mastered version too.  A lot of those old discs you can find dirt cheap in decent condition.

I would recommend finding a CD of that album and see if you hear the same things.  I'm willing to bet that it's the lossy format.  iTunes Plus format sounds ridiculously good imo for a lossy format - I prefer Ogg Vorbis myself - but for the price, you can't beat a CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back