iTunes + ??? + ??? + Sennheiser HD 800S
Dec 27, 2016 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Nume

New Head-Fier
Dear audiophile expert community,

i am lost ... and i am afraid I need your help!

As I consider myself as someone with a more than average interests into the world of music reproduction but not as an audiophile I am seeking your advice on the planning process of a new listening setup for my home use.

Currently I already set two fix points that need to be connected in the best-bang-for-the-buck manner.

Source:

I plan to use Apple iTunes (Apple Music) on a 2016 12" MacBook as the musical source for my audio pleasure. As I do understand that there is a lot of other source options with potentially better acoustical resources I still prefer iTunes for A LOT of highly subjective but still preferable reasons, sheer convenience being just one of them.

Headphones:

I tested a lot. As someone with a fairly big head, big ears and the wearer of glasses the fit and comfort of the new headphones was as important to me as the audio potential. To make things short, I deceided for the Sennheiser HD 800S (the new black ones).

DAC + AMP + (Cable):

What remains open are the components to link these two. What DAC would you recommend, which AMP should I reconsider, is there a special cable to look at?

I am completely open to everything but set myself the goal to only spent around 1000 Euro for the electronics.

Thank you very much in advance for every hint or recommendation that you can provide, your help and knowledge is very much appreciated!

Alex

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 4
If you'd consider DIY the first i'd recommend is the Bottlehead Crack. 
It's a great little amp that teaches you all the basic's of a tube amplifier circuit. 
With a Crack there's more to it then just buying it and sitting back. It's a journey into sound. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl

I started with a Macbook + Modi2U + Crack + HD650 / AKG K340. For a DAC these days the Modi Multibit seems like the logical starting point IMO.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 4
+1 on the Modi Multibit for a DAC. The 800S was apparently designed to even out the treble so I would imagine it's not as amp picky as the 800. The 800S should pair well with a good tube amp, perhaps the Crack or a Valhalla 2, maybe a Darkvoice 336

Users who are viewing this thread

Back