iTunes Question: download quality
Jan 15, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 23
Nope, sorry; the Apple Store doesn't sell ALAC files.
frown.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolida302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's expensive and bad.

lol it's 128-256.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 23
Sadly not!
Just AAC at either 128kbps or 256kbps...

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwglue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow...is there any online music store that supports higher quality?

Actually, yes: HDTracks has 44.1 flac and AIFF, as well as some 24/96 files available. DRM free and not evil.

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 23
Not lossless files, but Amazon also sells download digital files. Basically competition to iTunes Music.

Amazon downloads are 256kbs MP3, with no DRM, at $0.99/song.

I just used them for the first time in the last couple weeks, when I found iTunes had a defective track in an album download. It was killing me that a song file in the middle of an album was bad, and it was the source file, not an error during download. Got a refund from iTunes, and bought the MP3 version from Amazon, that thankfully did not have the encoding error.

If you're interested, it turns out that iTunes (and I expect most of the other big commercial download sites) get their digital files from the recording label, or a professional intermediary, so iTunes has very little control over the encoding quality of the tracks being sold. You can inform them of quality problems if they exist, but they have little they can do to resolve the issue, other than refund your fees.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #12 of 23
iTunes is often great for obscure or out-of-print releases too.

The album download problem I described above was in a release that is long out of print - virtually impossible to buy a CD of it now.

It's kind of amazing that the CD is even offered as download - and by multiple vendors now.

iTunes Plus at 256 kbps AAC no DRM, and Amazon at 256 kbps MP3 no DRM are both perfectly good quality (when not defective) for most music I listen to.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #13 of 23
I won't pay a buck for a compressed mp3. The whole thing strikes me as lazy and silly. I do subscribe to emusic, which works out to about 40 cents a track but since I've been listening to so much lossless music these days I'm thinking of dropping that even-- I just keep it to check out more obscure bands.

For a buck a song, I can just buy a CD and rip it. The printed material and hard copy are a big bonus for me. I certainly won't pay more to get less-- that is patently absurd. HDtracks is interesting because at least its the same quality for the same price as a CD, but it would be nice if someone would recognize that electronic delivery should cost less, not more, than hard copy music.

The O.P. has a legitimate reason to be looking for electronic delivery, so being able to get a CD's worth of music at CD quality at the same price as a CD seems to me to be the bare minimum standard of value.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

I won't pay a buck for a compressed mp3.

Strictly speaking, AAC is not MP3, but MP4. The Ipod is not a MP3 player, but a MP4 player that can play MP3.

Quote:

iTunes Plus at 256 kbps AAC no DRM, and Amazon at 256 kbps MP3 no DRM are both perfectly good quality (when not defective) for most music I listen to.

The 256 AAC will generally be better quality than 256 mp3.

Advanced Audio Coding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Evidently, within a few months, all itunes music downloads will be 256 AAC and DRM free. I have have never bought music online, but have been have bought heaps of games and applications for a recently acquired iPod touch. They are much better value than the music for sale.

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't pay a buck for a compressed mp3. The whole thing strikes me as lazy and silly. I do subscribe to emusic, which works out to about 40 cents a track but since I've been listening to so much lossless music these days I'm thinking of dropping that even-- I just keep it to check out more obscure bands.

For a buck a song, I can just buy a CD and rip it. The printed material and hard copy are a big bonus for me. I certainly won't pay more to get less-- that is patently absurd. HDtracks is interesting because at least its the same quality for the same price as a CD, but it would be nice if someone would recognize that electronic delivery should cost less, not more, than hard copy music.

The O.P. has a legitimate reason to be looking for electronic delivery, so being able to get a CD's worth of music at CD quality at the same price as a CD seems to me to be the bare minimum standard of value.

ur not really seeing the big picture..in fact ur post is pretty ignorant...

Let's compare your way to iTunes way briefly..

your way..
First off you have to drive or walk or public transportation to a store which sells cd's at $10 (this final price includes tax). problem is driving and public transportation costs money to get there and all three cost time and time is money.

secondly once your lucky enough to find a store that sells cd's at $10 with tax included you have to go all the way back home and start your converting process. depending on how you convert from cd to lossless/mp3/aac/whatever and then make sure you have everything tagged and imported into you dap or computer will take time...

so now you have this huge Lossless file, a lossless file compared to a 256 take more space, more space takes more memory, more memory costs more money...are you still comparing that $10 cd (again remember tax is included) to a $10 download?

before we further compare your way to the itunes way..
Let's talk about johnny for a second, oh you got to meet Johnny!
Johnny is..Well to simply state it johnny knows his ****! he is a proud member of head-fi with a whole bunch of posts under his belt working his way up to Headphone supremacy. Johnny is to smart for using his stock ear buds that came with his Apple touch, nope he spent big money on his gear cause johnny knows his ****! in fact johnny is so damn smart he knows Sound quality and how amazingly amazing a lossless file is over a 256 he is willing to go the distance for his quality, oh and don't get Johnny started on silly downloads. Since johnny knows all he thinks its silly and lazy to download when he can go rite out and buy a cd and rip it the lossless way!

So one day our good buddy johnny is sitting at home browsing the Internets and finds out there is a new release of never before heard john Coltrane cd out, Johnny says to himself "OMG What LOL!" and rushes out of his house and strait to the closest cd store. but that store that sells $10 cds don't have much of a selection so Johnny goes to a bugger store further down that has the new Coltrane cd and ends up paying $16 for the cd with tax included. it's costs johnny $4 in gas from start to finish and it costed Johnny about an hour of his time from leaving the house, ripping the cd to lossless, and finally loading the album to his Apple Touch. Johnny gets paid $20 an hour at his job so lets say johnny time is worth $20 a hour. of course since johnny knows his **** and is willing to go the distance for sound quality he has to buy a bigger Touch soon cause his lossless files are taking up lots of space but we won't get into that cost..nope let's just look at the cd that costs johnny $40 with everything included...

(of course this is a far out example that just gets my point across.)

now the itunes way...
You take your cell phone out of your pocket, click two icons, type in the album you want, then finally click the download button. after that put the cell phone back in your pocket and continue what ever you were doing before, a bit later you take your cell phone back out of your pocket and congrats you have a your album fully downloaded DRM free at 256 for $10.
you can do it where ever you get 3G reception or even faster wifi. your also shopping at the largest music retailer in the U.S. so please don't compare the selection to the store you buy the those $10 cd's with that loving tax included.

Does it still strike you as lazy and silly?

of course the $10 cd and the shopping at a store instead of buying online is all example just to show what majorly major Advantage itunes has.
one day if you ever attend a meet and i am there i will further explain how lossless is a waste of space and time but i really can not say anything further about that..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back