itunes / mac / stuttering ?
Nov 13, 2008 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

[L]es

100+ Head-Fier
any one have this problem ? my itunes stutters as if there's a scratch on the ripped cd.. when i play the part over by moving the seek bar there's no glitch..

irritating !

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 20
That raises a lot of questions.
* Which audio codec? Or does it happen regardless if you play back ALAC, AAC, MP3, ...
* Regular 16-bit/44.1Khz audio data, or high resolution (ex. 24-bit/92KHz)?
* Are you running on a very old Mac? Aka, it runs out of CPU steam?
* Up to date software? Mac OS 10.5.5, iTunes 8.0.1

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 20
all my albums i ripped to 320 / 256kbps vbr mp3 with itunes.. they're redbook so 16/44.1.

it's not an old mac i assure you
smily_headphones1.gif

happened i think with the new security update. running 10.5.5 with 8.0.1 no problem but i think itunes started coughing with that new security update.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 20
Do you by chance have MenuMeters installed? Thereby you can monitor your CPU usage and more. If the stutter cannot be reproduced in the same location as you say it should most likely be a system load issue. Happens. If it can be reproduced, re-rip the track, be sure to have iTunes' error-correction active. Otherwise I go along with krmathis, one would need to know more about your Mac (CPU & amount of RAM).

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 20
This is *just* a theory but are you using an external disk to store your music collection? Could there be bus contention? I mean, if you have tons of USB devices and a USB drive (for example) maybe the USB bus is getting overwhelmed.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is *just* a theory but are you using an external disk to store your music collection? Could there be bus contention? I mean, if you have tons of USB devices and a USB drive (for example) maybe the USB bus is getting overwhelmed.

Good idea. MenuMeters can show Firewire activity but not USB, sadly.

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 20
ok. just found why it stutters.. my hard disk is being accessed for quite a few seconds.

gonna observe with activity monitor what's taking up all those cycles.

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 20
Open up the Console and see if you are getting any errors when the stuttering happens. Is anything else using the hard disk the music is on when you're playing?

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok. just found why it stutters.. my hard disk is being accessed for quite a few seconds.

gonna observe with activity monitor what's taking up all those cycles.

Aha! Yeah, that may very well cause the music to stutter.
Find the guilty application and eliminate it...

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha! Yeah, that may very well cause the music to stutter.
Find the guilty application and eliminate it...

I'd look first at any Symantec/Norton or other security software.

Dedicated computers are recommended, costs permitting, to avoid any need for security software.

enjoy

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfmsp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd look first at any Symantec/Norton or other security software.

Its doubtful that he run any Symantec or Norton software on his Mac. Security software may be the guilty one, like ex. Little Snitch or similar.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 20
There is a known problem with the seagate 1.5tb drive and streaming. It's been reported a LOT. Hopefully they'll come out with a firmware fix, but I had to stick with 1tb drives when I bought (this week, in fact).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back