iTunes File Location?
Feb 25, 2006 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

filhej

New Head-Fier
I just followed the the advice in iTunes help regarding moving the library to another location in the dollowing sequence.
1. Created a new folder on D Drive and named it "iTunes New Location"
2. Changes preferences in iTunes to point to the new file location
3. Closed iTunes
3. Copied all files from my original iTunes file default location C: . . . \my document\my music\itunes music to the new D drive location
4. Deleted files from original location
5. Opened iTunes

The other location is a different drive and my prefrerences are correctly modified to point to the new file on another drive, but when I open iTunes, the library does not list my files. Can anyone tell from my description if I have missed a step?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Phil

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 10
this is a complicated thing to do. you essentially have to trick itunes.

when you switched your settings in preferences, you told it to use a folder that had nothing in it. this is part of the problem.

but i believe what you have to do is erase all songs in itunes, but make sure not to delete them from the hard drive, just remove them from the itunes interface. (it will come up with 2 warnings, one for itunes and one for the hard drive, so click yes for the first and no for the second)

then you have to drag all your files into the library. it will have saved all your info, genre organizing and all changes you made to the titles, album artwork, etc.

but you will loose all your playlists. im not sure how to save these. ive never been able to.

but you might be able to get them from your ipod if you have one of those cheat programs that lets you copy from ipod.

if anyone else knows a better way of doing this, let us know!
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 10
Can i ask why your moving your files to a new location?
Is there a benefit from moving from C to D?

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 10
Moving location due to size constraints on an older (2000) machine. The original drive on the machine is 20GB and I have subsequently added an 80 GB drive Internal for photo and audio. File just keep multiplying and pusating and growing. You know how that goes.

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 10
if you are keeping it on your computer, and not switching to an external drive, then there is a great way to do it next time.

this is how it works on a mac. it's probably slightly different on a pc, but you might be able to figure it out.

in your itunes folder, in addition to your "itunes music" folder, there are 2 files. these are the directory files that keep all the info on song location, song name, album name, etc, etc. so if you are switching to an external disk, you can sometimes save and transfer these files.

but in your case, i think if you had just set the new music folder after you moved the files, it might have worked fine. not sure.

did you try just re-importing the music files into your new empty library?

Feb 26, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 10
Save your iTunes playlists by using "Export Song List" under the File menu.

You can also save ratings by creating playlists for all songs with 5 Stars, 4 Stars, 3 Stars, etc. and saving them.

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Save your iTunes playlists by using "Export Song List" under the File menu.

You can also save ratings by creating playlists for all songs with 5 Stars, 4 Stars, 3 Stars, etc. and saving them.

once you save the playlist, how do you get it back into a new library?

man, ive been learning so many great tricks for itunes lately. this is making my life so much easier! do you know how many times ive switched hard drives, and gone through re-making my playlists manually, using my ipod as a reference?

wow
eek.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #10 of 10
The playlists can be saved as txt or xml files. I use xml.

Under the file menu, select "Import" and navigate to the saved xml files. You will have to repeat this for every playlist you want to import.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back