iTunes 8.0.2 - AudioMIDI setting on-the-fly
Dec 7, 2008 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All. Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or if anyone else has noticed, but it seems that since the recent iTunes 8.0.2 update I installed it this weekend), settings changed on AudioMIDI take effect immediately/on-the-fly without having to close down and restart iTunes.

Cheers,
X

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 8
As far as I know, this has always been the case. However, it's best to restart iTunes so that no re-sampling goes on between it and Core Audio, which could be detrimental to SQ.

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 8
Not sure what has been the case with iTunes 8.0.1 and earlier, but nice to see that no restart are needed from now on.
Nice!
smile.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All. Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or if anyone else has noticed, but it seems that since the recent iTunes 8.0.2 update I installed it this weekend), settings changed on AudioMIDI take effect immediately/on-the-fly without having to close down and restart iTunes.

Cheers,
X

Thanks for this comment. How does one go about checking this other than simply by listening? I'd like to see that this is working on my Macbook Pro.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 8
I confirmed it with an external DAC which displays details of the incoming digital signal. Moving from 16/44.1 to 24/44.1 to 24/96 etc. in AudioMIDI results in a very brief dropout/silence and I can see the change immediately on the DAC display.

BTW - not sure if the minor dropout is AudioMIDI or the DAC. I suspect the latter....a brief silence as it locks onto the new signal.

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 8
I have had a friend comment about this recently too - more or less the same issue. After reading your post I decided to check into it further. I posted on Computer Audiophile about it after having discussed the problem in the past. Chris explained that "The Audio Midi sample rate always changes when it's switched, but iTunes still locks on to the sample rate that was set upon the app's opening. So, Audio Midi is up or down sampling from the iTunes locked in rate"

Looks like the problem still exists the same as it always has unfortunately...
frown.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 8
Hmmmm, wonder who's right...?
I don't have a DAC who display input bit-depth/sample rate, so unable to verify myself.

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 8
is no use, even if iTunes does not change without startup, audioMidi would still resample the signal and this is what you would see on the DAC.
one way to check is with the ac3 surround test, see if an external receiver understands the signal after changing the settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back