It's time for the world’s first ethical, modular Digital Audio Player

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by Bio-Rhythm, Nov 22, 2017.
  1. Bio-Rhythm
    Hi,

Since the fundamental reason for this post is due to the general scientific consensus of what we humans are doing to our environment ( don't switch off yet as a good product is coming) , I thought it reasonable to post the thread in the sound science section.

World Scientists’ Warning to Humanity: A Second Notice https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/advance-article/doi/10.1093/biosci/bix125/4605229

To quote "Twenty-five years ago, the Union of Concerned Scientists and more than 1700 independent scientists, including the majority of living Nobel laureates in the sciences, penned the 1992 “World Scientists’ Warning to Humanity”. These concerned professionals called on humankind to curtail environmental destruction and cautioned that “a great change in our stewardship of the Earth and the life on it is required, if vast human misery is to be avoided.” In their manifesto, they showed that humans were on a collision course with the natural world."

Now of course this is a complex issue involving the interactions of humans with the planet we live on. Though, as someone whom personally buys electronic devices, there is an opportunity to manufacturer products using more sustainable methods. A actually example of how this can be achieved is the Fairphone https://www.fairphone.com

[​IMG]

To quote " We’ve taken the first steps toward creating a product that puts people first. You can help us to spread the word. Long lasting design, fair materials, good working conditions, reuse and recycling. "

After my Fiio X1 digital audio player broke ( after approx 14 months) , I've spent considerable time reading reviews and watching youtube videos in order to decide which DAP to buy as a replacement. None of these reviews mentioned anything about how the products are manufactured, repaired, recycled etc ( i.e - A blind consumerism culture).

I believe customers want to buy products that have a sustainable manufacturing process and can be easily repaired and/or upgraded. Thus it maybe the manufacturing industry that is pushing it's own sell,sell,sell agenda at the expense of genuine quality and environmental stability. However, if people (through the democratic process ) are not willing (or able) to regulate any specific industry from become too self serving (e.g. Not paying sufficient tax and unethical working/ environmental standards) then at least people can choose the best products when (or if) they are available. As a example, if many people choose to buy the fairphone (quite expensive for some) then other manufactures will take note.

Though if your current phone is working then that's the most ethical phone you can own (it's already been made and shipped to you). Though when it eventually breaks, at least people will have a better option than the black and white " bang for you buck" model ,which all too often does not take into account how long the product has been designed to last and how easy it is for the layman to repair/replace any damaged parts ( e.g. Little screws to open the case and plugin replaceable/ up-gradable components rather than glued cases and hard to replace components)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. Strangelove424
    I am 150% behind user upgradeable or replaceable parts. That said, I have a rule that whenever the word “manifesto” is mentioned, I forgot I have laundry in the dryer that I need to take care of.

3. bigshot
    I want that hot new iPhone X! To heck with the ozone layer! Besides, why would I want my phone to be more ethical than I am? It will only try to shame me all the time.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  4. Bio-Rhythm

Sounds like a interesting way to regulate your own behavior and to keep up with the laundry chores.

The point is that products can be manufactured more sustainably so that Phone X will continue to be available into the foreseeable future. Apple are actually heading in the right direction in this regards .

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/19/a...enpeace-says-iphones-should-also-last-longer/

To quote "Apple vows to use only recycled materials, but Greenpeace says iPhones should also last longer"

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/detox/electronics/Guide-to-Greener-Electronics/

To quote " Apple leads the sector for its effort to adopt renewable energy for manufacturing and Apple is also strong on chemical management in both products and manufacturing. The company was the first to make a commitment to closed-loop production, however it’s moving the wrong way on repairable product design and is blocking efforts to increase customer access to repair services."

The ozone layer is for pussies :wink: . Ocean acidification and climate change leading to a reduced ability to feed our increasing populations is the big event that needs mitigating. ( by reducing carbon dioxide and methane emissions ) .
    . So electronic manufactures using green technologies ( solar, wind etc and lithium battery storage) is one way to reduce carbon emissions. Methane and carbon dioxide emissions can be reduced by consuming meat alternatives such as the impossible burger (apparently like real beef though I haven't tried it yet) and quorn ( more efficient way to consume protein) etc.

https://www.impossiblefoods.com/burger/ .

To quote "we identified methods and ingredients to naturally recreate everything -- the sights, sounds, aromas, textures and flavors. The result? This impossibly delicious game changer of a burger."

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  5. Bio-Rhythm
    That's why they have a off button :wink: